Job Scene/Employment in SA

Anything!

Re: Job Scene/Employment in SA

Postby Wedgie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:07 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I'm a contract IT Business Analyst and I'm worried about what the future holds. Most of my work is in relation to business systems that 'don't work' but apart from the hospital I wonder what's next in Adelaide. It's alleged that 70% of contract business analysts are in state government (in SA). I would imagine that isn't sustainable long term but I hope I'm wrong.

I've got another 20 years of work left (I hope) and I can't see what I do lasting that long in SA.

Plenty of work in IT in the Commonwealth Govt mate, we have bazillions of contractors ATM to help us!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2061 times
Been liked: 3918 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I'm a contract IT Business Analyst and I'm worried about what the future holds. Most of my work is in relation to business systems that 'don't work' but apart from the hospital I wonder what's next in Adelaide. It's alleged that 70% of contract business analysts are in state government (in SA). I would imagine that isn't sustainable long term but I hope I'm wrong.

I've got another 20 years of work left (I hope) and I can't see what I do lasting that long in SA.

Plenty of work in IT in the Commonwealth Govt mate, we have bazillions of contractors ATM to help us!

It's like the Australian cricket team. Difficult to get in, really difficult to leave.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:49 am

I'm in a shrinking industry, but it's not just an SA thing.
Whenever I feel the need to give my guys a bit of push, I always remind them that they should respect this job, because there are so many people out there who would want this job and so many no longer working in the industry.
I've been here nearly five years and I've seen plenty of cuts in other parts of the industry, not one in my office. I think that's to do with the fact my company is a family-owned independent.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:34 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

It's like the Australian cricket team. Difficult to get in, really difficult to leave.

So they keep old blokes around who used to be good at things but aren't much chop anymore?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby Q. » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:29 am

Get into the Global Food Security/Crop Protection industry. Unprecedented levels of investment and spending at the moment.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Booney wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

So they keep old blokes around who used to be good at things but aren't much chop anymore?

Well Wegs is still there.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:20 pm

Booney wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Lol Booney before my accident I recall working over time im known not to normally
This day I did boss sent me to help another team he sent that team that started the same time as me home .
After they left he stormed on the floor to make sure the old man me age 52 was working hard .
While storming to be certain I was working which I was . He goose stepped past two young 20 yo guys same team .
Who for the past 40 minutes had been standing and talking not working
Funny after the boss made sure the elderly guy was working he let the youngsters stand around and talk .

Does this mean old farts don't do any work
Or do young punks stand around talking doing no work
Lmao
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:17 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Booney wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Plenty of work in IT in the Commonwealth Govt mate, we have bazillions of contractors ATM to help us!

Well Wegs is still there.

When was I any good at anything? (Besides typing perhaps ;) )
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby tipper » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Wedgie wrote:When was I any good at anything? (Besides typing perhaps ;) )

drinking?
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:49 pm

tipper wrote:

drinking?

That goes without saying as Gadj has known me for almost 28 years!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:44 pm

Wedgie wrote:
tipper wrote:

drinking?

That goes without saying as Gadj has known me for almost 28 years!

Good? He'd be at Rio if there was a drinking event.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:45 pm

CHEAT! ;-)
gadj1976
Coach

Previous

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion