9/11. Where were you.

Anything!

Re: 9/11. Where were you.

Postby godoubleblues » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 pm

I was in the army at that time and deployed to East Timor, didnt hear anything about it that night but when we got up the next morning for our PT (exercise) we got the news. Suffice to say our security was seriously beefed up for a while in the aftermath of 9/11
godoubleblues
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby RJM » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:53 pm

I turned the TV off a few minutes before they started showing it.

Turned the radio on just before 6 and heard about it on the 6AM news on MMM. Turned the TV on and just sat and stared for 10 minutes or so.

I remember getting to work and having a guy I worked with named Mario saying to me "looks like world war 3's just started Rob." Apparently the afternoon shift the night before all stopped work and watched it unfold on TV in the lunch rooms. All on full pay.
Don't expect to be compared to hendrix just because you're a virtuoso on the kazoo
RJM
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby cripple » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Didn't hear about it till the next morning at school. Being in alice Springs most of the attention quickly turned to what would happen to pine gap.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Nick Holland was on Talking Footy and Hawks were going into either the semi or prelim, was the 1st time in a few years i thought we were a chance.
The interview was rudely cut short and i wasn't impressed until the magnitude of what had happened became apparent and i think i stayed up until about 4am glued to the TV
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2439 times
Been liked: 1672 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby abber » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Was in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Thought the coverage was local.
abber
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Magnum Force » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:06 pm

I was just about to go to sleep when the old man yelled out to me and said turn the T.V on, Watched the second plane crash into the tower and i remember thinking this was the start of the next world war.
I'm kind of a big deal, people know me
Magnum Force
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby maxyoz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:50 pm

My wife and I had both been out of the Air Force for about 18 months - and you go straight onto the Ready Reserves list for 5 years.

My wife was on the net (Dial up) looking for a job, I was in bed listening to Bob Francis on the radio and he was mumbling something about a plane hitting one of the towers, thinking it was a Cessna. I got up and flicked on CNN and watched the rest of it unfold - 2nd plane hit, towers fall, Pennsylvania, Pentagon, etc.

Stayed up until about 3am just watching in disbelief.

I thought - well, that's that, I guess I am going back into the RAAF. Never did.

It is amazing how many people actually did watch it happen live - considering it was about 11.00pm our time.
Punk Rooster wrote:I can't believe that a topic that is quite clearly trolling has elicited a 3 page response....
maxyoz
Under 18s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 36 times
Grassroots Team: Kimba Districts

Postby OnSong » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:18 pm

I was fast asleep and mum charged into my room at about 5am to tell me someone had declared war on America. I guess in a roundabout way, they had.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 549 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:42 pm

I had a TV in the bedroom in those days and turned it on on waking to get the morning news and the pictures were on TV.
I spent the next hour or two wondering whether the Yanks were going to nuke somebody in retaliation...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Il Duce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:18 pm

I use to have a tv with a vcr in my room and I use to record Star Trek DS9 and Voyager for her. (i would press record then go to bed) I was waiting for it to start so the normal 9 news service ended and it went to the add break in between shows came back for about 5-10 seconds then away for more adds then when they came back they started talking about it, crossed over to there american counterparts i think cbs and about a minute after that they where on a live cross and the second plane when in. My phone then rang a few times with mate talking about it, none of us got any sleep then we all went to school the next day barely awake the school sent everyone home at midday when the notice that we had all been up watching it.
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby Brad » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 pm

I was living in Adelaide at the time in a boarding house, I remember talking footy being interrupted and watching in amazement, even flicked on the radio to hear it all over there as well. The other significant memory was a guy walking in and saying 'Americas getting f***ed up tonight!!' really surreal time.
Brad
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Postby Punk Rooster » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:I'm pretty sure I was watching the late news as it happened. I know I saw the plane crash into the 2nd tower live. That was ******.

It was very surreal, one of the most frightening things in my living memory knowing how intentional it was and how warped some people are.

and George Bush is still at large!
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:09 am

Was watching a TV show and down the bottom of the screen a message rolled across can still picture it “there are reports that a plane has hit the WTC – stay tuned for full coverage” I didn’t know what WTC stood for so flicked the TV off.

By the time I walked into my bedroom mum yelled out for me to come and look at something on her TV. I sat on the end of her bed for the next 3 hours and felt sick to the stomach…..

Its amazing when you can think back to an event that happened so long ago and so far away from where you were at the time and can picture it vividly and even feel the gut wrenching sick feeling in your stomach as if it was yesterday!
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby smac » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 am

Footy Smart wrote:By the time I walked into my bedroom mum yelled out for me to come and look at something on her TV. I sat on the end of her bed for the next 3 hours and felt sick to the stomach…..

Should have gone and watched the news instead then.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Strawb » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:56 am

I was surfing the net and chatting to friends I was well into about my 6th can of the night. Dad came home and said have you seen the tv i went nope I thought it was a movie I sobered up pretty quick when one of my mates told me it was real. I watched and chatted to him about it. It put me off at the time of heading over to the states at the time I chose to stay in Australia.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Bully » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:31 pm

hmmm, a warning from the T2 movie ?

the moment when arnie grabs john conner off his bike, and then shots the tyre on the tow truck, and just before the tow trunk crashes and explodes this is seen on the overpass
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Bully wrote:Image

the moment when arnie grabs john conner off his bike, and then shots the tyre on the tow truck, and just before the tow trunk crashes and explodes this is seen on the overpass

Lol

It makes u think how Osama came up with the 9/11 date and that it could have been something as simple as that that confirmed his date
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5626 times
Been liked: 2546 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby heater31 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:49 pm

whufc wrote:
Bully wrote:Image

Lol

It makes u think how Osama came up with the 9/11 date and that it could have been something as simple as that that confirmed his date

Well the most obvious one is since the yanks put the month before the day of the month first (9/11) and the emergency call centre......

Doesn't have the same effect for Australia....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Yeah u would think that's the one!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5626 times
Been liked: 2546 times
Grassroots Team: BSR