Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Booney » Mon May 02, 2016 9:27 am

Penfolds Magill Estate - ( Going from memory )

Snacks
-------
Scallop & Nori
Lamb Brain & Wasabi crumb ( Damn! )
King Brown Mushroom & Wagyu Tartare
Fresh Oysters with a soy dressing
-------
Crab, Tomato & Horseradish, Basil
Sashimi Tuna, Egg yolk, Anchovy & Grains
Patagonian Tooth Fish, Sweet Corn, Bone marrow & Nori
Pork belly, puree and something else
12 day dry cured Porterhouse, jus and something or other
------
Yoghurt, Strawberry, Coconut water
Chocolate, Fig & Almond, Milk Ice cream
------
Petit fours, Tea or Coffee
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I can't remember the exact wines that were paired with the food, so there's an image below of the offerings.

What can you say about something that is just perfect? I'll start by saying to me, sadly, and I've tried to educate myself and my palate, wine is wine is wine. Well, no it isn't! Whilst I'm not going to become accustomed to drinking the $200 bottle of RWT ( Red Wine Trail ) Shiraz, I sure could. Velvet smooth, never tried anything like it before.

Right out of my beer and schnitzel comfort zone I thought I'd embrace the whole experience and pair the wine with the food, I took in all that the sommelier had to say and Neil knows his shit. He'd ask you to smell the wine and tell you what you were looking for. Citrus, or plum, or oak, or spice...it gave me an understanding of what I was trying to achieve, the food to accompany it was just top shelf.

The service? Second to none, from the moment you arrived and were offered an aperitif and yes, I had a Pale Ale but Neil can judge a book by it's cover and he didn't even offer me a glass of the $250 bottle of champagne...well played, Neil. To the table service, attention to detail with the food, removal of cutlery after each course, how clean the might impressive range of glasses were to the hot towels delivered after the oysters to freshen the hands.

The food - $185 per person.
Sommeliers choice accompanying wine - $100 per person

Firstly, some very good friends became engaged on the night. The chap invited 3 couples, his closest friends, to share the experience with them. They're mid 50's, second marriage, been together for nearly 20 years so he didn't rush things! He got down on bended knee and asked her for her hand in marriage, it was a wonderful evening with some very good people.

Secondly, would I say it was "worth" $300 per person? Hard to say any meal of that cost is value for money. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Now, not for a birthday or a Saturday night out but for a very special occasion looking out over the city skyline lit up at night with such an amazing dining experience I would be happy to say $300 per person is not an outrageous price to pay to experience such an evening.

Can't be anything but 10/10. Superb.
Attachments
Penfolds.jpg
Penfolds.jpg (106.67 KiB) Viewed 734 times
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7634 times
Been liked: 11101 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon May 02, 2016 9:33 am

Nice review Boon.

Was lucky enough to eat there myself many years ago.... To my mind, the best dinning experience in Adelaide.

Pleased to read you took in some wine culture, and stepped out of that comfort zone.

Well done.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1299 times
Been liked: 3558 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Footy Chick » Mon May 02, 2016 10:45 am

:shock:

Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1753 times
Been liked: 2172 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 02, 2016 10:50 am

From the other thread because im a retard

Great work boon.

Now just ditch the pale for a $20 bottle of pepperjack every now and then!
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon May 02, 2016 11:14 am

Footy Chick wrote:

:shock:

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon May 02, 2016 11:37 am

Coupla places Ive had a feed recently:

Jarmers - Breakfast with the family yesterday. The smoothies the kids ordered and an Orange Juice were actually pretty ordinary. However the meals the missus and I had (she had the Eggs Benedict, I had the Eggs + Fillet Steak) were excellent, and worth the pricetag imho. Wouldn't mind trying them out for dinner sometime.

Seaton Hotel - Always been known down this way as nothing flashy, but decent enough food for a very reasonable price. They've intorduced Seafood platters now that they suggest feeds 6-8 people. For $120 you get:

Marinated Octopus
Garlic Prawns
S&P Squid
Scallops
Mussels
Fresh Prawns
Oysters Natural
Oysters Kilpatrick
Crab
Chips
(And I reckon a bit more that I can't remember)

You also get to choose a bottle of wine from a limited selection.

We had about 8 in our group and couldn't finish it all .. Pretty decent afternoon sitting out in the Beer Garden watching the footy/races and chowing down on that for $15 per head.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3012 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon May 02, 2016 11:48 am

JK wrote:Coupla places Ive had a feed recently:

Jarmers - Breakfast with the family yesterday. The smoothies the kids ordered and an Orange Juice were actually pretty ordinary. However the meals the missus and I had (she had the Eggs Benedict, I had the Eggs + Fillet Steak) were excellent, and worth the pricetag imho. Wouldn't mind trying them out for dinner sometime.

Seaton Hotel - Always been known down this way as nothing flashy, but decent enough food for a very reasonable price. They've intorduced Seafood platters now that they suggest feeds 6-8 people. For $120 you get:

Marinated Octopus
Garlic Prawns
S&P Squid
Scallops
Mussels
Fresh Prawns
Oysters Natural
Oysters Kilpatrick
Crab
Chips
(And I reckon a bit more that I can't remember)

You also get to choose a bottle of wine from a limited selection.

We had about 8 in our group and couldn't finish it all .. Pretty decent afternoon sitting out in the Beer Garden watching the footy/races and chowing down on that for $15 per head.

Going to hit one up, saw a couple of mates down one a week or two ago and they both reviewed it quite highly.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon May 02, 2016 11:54 am

Yeah it's pretty good mate .. Even if there's only 6 in the group for $20 each ya can't go wrong
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3012 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby White Line Fever » Mon May 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Daniels Licensed Restaurant
Rundle St

0/100000

Went there on the way to the soccer GF yesterday and this has grinded my gears.

In hindsight an empty restaurant in a packed city at lunchtime should have been the giveaway but these are the worst meals I have ever had.

A chicken parmigiana where the crumbing was thicker than the chicken, the little chicken in it was crumbly and some fatty chewy bits.
The side of gravy was brown water.
The sirloin steak was 70% fat - look horribly before a bite was even taken.
The oysters were creamy and off.

And the service was not interested.
Comments like "I'll let the chef know" and no interest to improve our dining experience.
I showed the waitress all the issues. Nothing.

And then they had the nerve to charge top dollar for this absolute rubbish.

I normally don't do bad reviews and can handle the odd sub-standard meal but this is by far the worst I've had.
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:41 pm

I felt sick just reading that review WLF....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12323 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Postby stan » Mon May 02, 2016 12:51 pm

White Line Fever wrote:Daniels Licensed Restaurant
Rundle St

0/100000

In hindsight an empty restaurant in a packed city at lunchtime should have been the giveaway but these are the worst meals I have ever had.

A chicken parmigiana where the crumbing was thicker than the chicken, the little chicken in it was crumbly and some fatty chewy bits.

Comments like "I'll let the chef know" and no interest to improve our dining experience.

I normally don't do bad reviews and can handle the odd sub-standard meal but this is by far the worst I've had.

I think you nailed it when you said about an empty restaurant considering the many 1000's of people in the city!
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Spargo » Mon May 02, 2016 12:53 pm

White Line Fever wrote:Daniels Licensed Restaurant
Rundle St

0/100000

I'd ring them up and ask to speak directly to the manager - then send an email listing everything that was wrong.
Any decent establishment will get back to you & offer some sort of refund/voucher with an apology.
If not, tell them you'll plaster it all over social media.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5711 times
Been liked: 5276 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Wed May 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Not so much a restraunt review, as an observation of Indian restaurants in general...

I have one rule whenever visiting a new Indian restraunt... I always order the butter chicken, steamed rice & garlic Naan.

If the Butter chicken is good, then the restraunt deserves another visit, and further exploration of the menu.

I have just chowed down on an excellent butter chicken at the Royal Punjab Indian on Stanley Street BRISBANE which is very near the GABBA, so if you up here at any time give it a crack... I'm back in a fortnight... Rogan Josh for me then!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Corona Man wrote:Not so much a restraunt review, as an observation of Indian restaurants in general...

I have one rule whenever visiting a new Indian restraunt... I always order the butter chicken, steamed rice & garlic Naan.

If the Butter chicken is good, then the restraunt deserves another visit, and further exploration of the menu.

I have just chowed down on an excellent butter chicken at the Royal Punjab Indian on Stanley Street BRISBANE which is very near the GABBA, so if you up here at any time give it a crack... I'm back in a fortnight... Rogan Josh for me then!

Is this the joint that fed the cricket team when they bitched about the food during a test match?
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed May 04, 2016 7:49 pm

heater31 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Not so much a restraunt review, as an observation of Indian restaurants in general...

Is this the joint that fed the cricket team when they bitched about the food during a test match?

Sorry no idea...
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed May 04, 2016 9:25 pm

Id prob go the other way. If they cant make a basic lamb curry they sure as hell wont make a decent butter chicken. Most butter chickens you get taste like one you could make with a jar at home.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 660 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Corona Man » Wed May 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:

Id prob go the other way. If they cant make a basic lamb curry they sure as hell wont make a decent butter chicken. Most butter chickens you get taste like one you could make with a jar at home.

Respect your opinion, but my misses can't make a butter chicken from a jar that even comes close to that.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 04, 2016 11:27 pm

go the vindaloo mate
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Corona Man » Thu May 05, 2016 6:46 am

bennymacca wrote:go the vindaloo mate

That's the 3rd or 4th visit.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Mic » Thu May 05, 2016 9:38 pm

Butter chicken isn't real Indian food.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 151 times