Who's got a Solar Power System installed?

Anything!

Re: Who's got a Solar Power System installed?

Postby kickinit » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:36 am

Psyber wrote:
kickinit wrote:if your having a system installed with a aluminium rack make sure that the aluminium never comes in contact with any other metal, especially stainless. If I still have the picture at work i'll post it up what stainless does to aluminium.
Aluminium and any ferrous metal on contact will set up an electrolytic effect, and even with insulating washers between the two types of metal you have to be careful what screws are used to connect through the washers - coated non-conducting screws are required (but often enough overlooked).

yep, but stainless is the worst out of all of them. I'm pretty sure I've still got the photo at work, you'l be amazed what sort of damage it can do in such a short time.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby prowling panther » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:05 am

kickinit wrote:
Psyber wrote:
kickinit wrote:if your having a system installed with a aluminium rack make sure that the aluminium never comes in contact with any other metal, especially stainless. If I still have the picture at work i'll post it up what stainless does to aluminium.
Aluminium and any ferrous metal on contact will set up an electrolytic effect, and even with insulating washers between the two types of metal you have to be careful what screws are used to connect through the washers - coated non-conducting screws are required (but often enough overlooked).

yep, but stainless is the worst out of all of them. I'm pretty sure I've still got the photo at work, you'l be amazed what sort of damage it can do in such a short time.

Bump....Did you find the photo yet?
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby kickinit » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:25 pm

prowling panther wrote:
kickinit wrote:
Psyber wrote:

Bump....Did you find the photo yet?

here it is. This is off a rain water tank with the fitting being aluminium and being screewed into a s/steel fitting
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby kickinit » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:26 pm

and from the other angle.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby prowling panther » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks.

I'm not much of a scientist, wouldnt of thought that would happen, thanks for the tip.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby grant j » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:27 pm

grant j
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Postby scoob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:34 pm

"I couldn't fit enough hydro plants in here to generate that type of bill." LOL
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 pm

I decided to revisit the whole issue, and over the last few weeks I've had four firms, other than those who quoted for me in the past, look at the solar panel option again for me. The new firms were Origin, True Value, Unleash, and the people who used to be Solar SA under their new name which I don't recall.

Unleash, Origin, and True Value commented from looking at pictures on my roof at various dates on Nearmaps, while the other group sent someone out to have a look on the ground as well.

Unleash were the only one to offer to sell me a system.
The other three advised me to forget it unless I could remove quite a few of the trees in the back yard on the north-western side of the house.
The guy who actually came out said he doubted I'd get more than 50-60% efficiency even with the Tier 1 panels they used.

Also interesting was the screw and joining issue discussed above in this tread.
Two of them said coated screws should be used rather than stainless steel ones, while the other two went for stainless steel.

So, I did some on line research and came up with a technical standard for Helipad construction.
It favoured stainless steel over coated screws but added, "If stainless steel bolts or screws are threaded into aluminium, a suitable thread sealant shall be applied to the threads to prevent ingress of water and corrosion of the threads."

The other option for marine application or other wet environments was to use a transitional material called "Triclad". http://triclad.com/
Possibly that would be a bit over the top in cost for home solar installations.

The more local comment was from http://aluminium.org.au/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=43866
"What fasteners can I use to join aluminium? Aluminium blind rivets (commonly called ‘Pop’ rivets), 300 series stainless steel screws and bolts and hot-dipped galvanized steel bolts are commonly used. The actual material and joint design depends on the severity of the environment."

Overall I get the impression none of the options guarantee no electrolytic corrosion will occur whatever you use to join an aluminium frame to a Colourbond roof...
Stainless steel frames anyone?
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dog_ger » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Psyber my friend. :D

How long are you personally going to live for? :D

I think you weigh up all the things that can go wrong too much.

Weigh up what can go right...

Live a life of "Everything I do is right"

It's only money. ;)

Pay full price for your electricity.

I get it cheaper than you.... ;)

Think of your car, everything wears out my good friend. ;)
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Dog_ger wrote:Psyber my friend. :D
How long are you personally going to live for? :D
I think you weigh up all the things that can go wrong too much.
Weigh up what can go right...
Live a life of "Everything I do is right"
It's only money. ;)
Pay full price for your electricity.
I get it cheaper than you.... ;)
Think of your car, everything wears out my good friend. ;)
I don't fancy having to re-roof my house inside 5 -10 years when it starts to leak due to the corrosion, especially since it would involve un-installing any solar panels I had and re-installing them! (I've had past experience with corrosion between Zincalume and Colourbond, but fortunately it was only guttering I had to replace.)

It looks like a poor investment when you add that potential cost to the original installation and low predicted efficiency

How long am I going to live?
Well, on family form, possibly another 30 years or so, and I should be able to count on 25 of those without dementia.
So, my family all think long-term... ;)
Psyber
Coach

Postby grant j » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Psyber wrote:I decided to revisit the whole issue, and over the last few weeks I've had four firms, other than those who quoted for me in the past, look at the solar panel option again for me. The new firms were Origin, True Value, Unleash, and the people who used to be Solar SA under their new name which I don't recall.

Unleash, Origin, and True Value commented from looking at pictures on my roof at various dates on Nearmaps, while the other group sent someone out to have a look on the ground as well.

The other three advised me to forget it unless I could remove quite a few of the trees in the back yard on the north-western side of the house.
The guy who actually came out said he doubted I'd get more than 50-60% efficiency even with the Tier 1 panels they used.

Two of them said coated screws should be used rather than stainless steel ones, while the other two went for stainless steel.

So, I did some on line research and came up with a technical standard for Helipad construction.
It favoured stainless steel over coated screws but added, "If stainless steel bolts or screws are threaded into aluminium, a suitable thread sealant shall be applied to the threads to prevent ingress of water and corrosion of the threads."

The other option for marine application or other wet environments was to use a transitional material called "Triclad". http://triclad.com/

The more local comment was from http://aluminium.org.au/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=43866
"What fasteners can I use to join aluminium? Aluminium blind rivets (commonly called ‘Pop’ rivets), 300 series stainless steel screws and bolts and hot-dipped galvanized steel bolts are commonly used. The actual material and joint design depends on the severity of the environment."

Overall I get the impression none of the options guarantee no electrolytic corrosion will occur whatever you use to join an aluminium frame to a Colourbond roof...

Unleash Solar story on Today Tonight.
Very dodgey installs and electrics.
grant j
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Postby kickinit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:01 pm

grant j wrote:Unleash Solar story on Today Tonight.

you actually watch that load of crap show? One of my friends was a witness to the ride that crash at the show years ago. She was asked to do a interview with them. she was given a script to follow, all they wanted was her to bag the emergency service and show organiser's, which was completely different to what actually happened.

Unleash solar is probably dodgey but I wouldn't trust today tonight as my source.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:33 am

kickinit wrote:
grant j wrote:Unleash Solar story on Today Tonight.

you actually watch that load of crap show? One of my friends was a witness to the ride that crash at the show years ago. She was asked to do a interview with them. she was given a script to follow, all they wanted was her to bag the emergency service and show organiser's, which was completely different to what actually happened.

Unleash solar is probably dodgey but I wouldn't trust today tonight as my source.

Yeah I watched it last night for the first time in ages. I got on their facebook page to tell them I really enjoyed their 10 minute adverts for Gotta Getta Group and Woolworths, because thats exactly what it was. My comment was removed within 3 minutes. The slandered Unleash Solar, while getting their competition, GGG, to back them up. And Woolies dont need any more advertising. You go in there and they have their home branded stuff sitting next to the tradition brands 20-30% cheaper. I always go for the non-Woolies stuff if I go there.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Alaska » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:44 am

Psyber wrote:I decided to revisit the whole issue, and over the last few weeks I've had four firms, other than those who quoted for me in the past, look at the solar panel option again for me. The new firms were Origin, True Value, Unleash, and the people who used to be Solar SA under their new name which I don't recall.

Interesting take on the brackets and fixing.

I have two solar panels on the roof for a solar hot water set up that was there when I arrived 16 years ago, it looked old then and has lichen growing on them now. It is attached to the roof with wooden battens, they still do the job. My previous house also had the wood battens to hold its solar panels.

Stainless steel, are we over engineering this?
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 am

Alaska wrote: Interesting take on the brackets and fixing.

I have two solar panels on the roof for a solar hot water set up that was there when I arrived 16 years ago, it looked old then and has lichen growing on them now. It is attached to the roof with wooden battens, they still do the job. My previous house also had the wood battens to hold its solar panels.

Stainless steel, are we over engineering this?
Yes, stainless steel is over-engineering and wouldn't entirely solve the electrolytic issue - though I could have speculated about Titanium.

Wooden battens - hardwood or treated - would seem to be the ideal solution for a non-conductive framing and joining option.
UV stabilised recycled plastic perhaps, too, if worried about wood lasting?
Psyber
Coach

Postby dedja » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Jeez I love November ...

$-) $-) $-)
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Postby Dog_ger » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:19 pm

I have a 1.9kw system that generates a payment of approx 60C @ KWH surplus into the grid.

I want to tripple my system but then it will go down to 19C @ KWH surplus into the grid.

WTF. :shock: :shock:

Whats going on here.

Looks like it was all a con guys. :(

I see there is a system that has its own battery storage now, that will be the way to go.

Entire roof solar panels with walls as battery storage. Maybe into the future this may happen, if costs permit. :D

Dog_ger
Coach

Postby dedja » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:26 pm

got a spare $30K to pay for the battery system?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Postby toot toot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Anyone know roughly how much you should be paying for a quality 3kw system? $5,000 - $6,000??

& the best company to buy through?
toot toot
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Dog_ger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 pm

toot toot wrote:Anyone know roughly how much you should be paying for a quality 3kw system? $5,000 - $6,000??

& the best company to buy through?

No one should advise on this.

Do your homework and blame yourself if your research is wrong. ;) :D

Dog_ger
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion