Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby JK » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:57 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:JK is trying to match Wristy's eating habits by eating out every 2nd night

Since the missus has quit the grog and smokes and become a gymhead, eating out is her favourite/only pastime .. Works for me! :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:15 am

JK wrote:Angkor Cambodian & Thai food on Woodville Rd.

Small restaurant with the old furniture and pictures on the wall etc, but certainly felt Asian enough (although just being on Woodville Rd does that).

Service is VERY slow .. Given the place doesn't hold many people, we were surprised we didn't receive our meals til about an hour and 20 minutes after ordering. So the food was going to need to be seriously good.

And F*** me it was!

We had:

Chilli/Basil/Lemongrass seafood dish
Thai Green Chicken Curry
Massaman (sp?) Beef Curry
Special Fry Rice
Steamed Rice

And every single one of them was a taste sensation. As enjoyable as any Asiain food i can remember in recent years.

Throw in 2 x Iced Teas and a can of Solo, with the Ent voucher it came to $59.

Even allowing for the extraordinary delay Ive gotta give this an 8.5 just for the quality of food alone.

Highly recommend this one.

1 year no smoking tomorrow and the Mrs is keen to celebrate the occasion God bless her. Reckon I will give this a crack. Reasonably priced, high quality and authentic Asian can be hard to find. I used to go to a secret little sensation in Mansfield Park with my late Father but haven't been in a long time. That was the best id had in Adelaide, hopefully this measures up, pressures on JK ;)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 852 times

Postby JK » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:24 am

Im confident it will stack up mate .. As an added bonus last night, the missus reckons we got the discount but they didn't take the voucher, happy days! :partyman:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:14 pm

The Caledonian don't stamp the card when you go....love it
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11957 times
Been liked: 3650 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:44 pm

Sammy's on the Marina last night. Overpriced and nothing special.
Not a seafood fan but went for a family Birthday. Table of 12 including 3 kids. Started with bread and Dukkah which was nice enough. Entrees were ordered and most tucked into theirs , brother in law ordered a dozen oysters kilpatrick, after waiting for about 10 minutes after everyone else's entree had arrived he questioned the waiter who then admitted he had stuffed up and forgot to order them so he went without.
Mains started coming out about 40 minutes later despite not being overly busy, adult meals came out before kids and then it got worse. My sons Salt and Pepper Calamari was stone cold and several other meals were barely lukewarm. My meal didn't even come out and once again the waiter admitted his error and my meal had been given to another table and they would prepare me another ASAP. Now I only had Beer battered Whiting and that took another 20 minutes to come out and was basically 3 tiny pieces of whiting and a handful of burn chips, the salad was ok though.
Pretty average night TBH, $35 for fish and chips I could buy for $10 at any take away store. All up with a few beers and bottles of wine it came to over $800 and of course then we were told they couldn't split the bill after being informed when we arrived that we could. Food and service pretty average 2/10
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3567 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:53 pm

Surely they offered your meal for free for stuffing it up???
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Jim05 wrote:Sammy's on the Marina last night. Overpriced and nothing special.
Not a seafood fan but went for a family Birthday. Table of 12 including 3 kids. Started with bread and Dukkah which was nice enough. Entrees were ordered and most tucked into theirs , brother in law ordered a dozen oysters kilpatrick, after waiting for about 10 minutes after everyone else's entree had arrived he questioned the waiter who then admitted he had stuffed up and forgot to order them so he went without.
Mains started coming out about 40 minutes later despite not being overly busy, adult meals came out before kids and then it got worse. My sons Salt and Pepper Calamari was stone cold and several other meals were barely lukewarm. My meal didn't even come out and once again the waiter admitted his error and my meal had been given to another table and they would prepare me another ASAP. Now I only had Beer battered Whiting and that took another 20 minutes to come out and was basically 3 tiny pieces of whiting and a handful of burn chips, the salad was ok though.
Pretty average night TBH, $35 for fish and chips I could buy for $10 at any take away store. All up with a few beers and bottles of wine it came to over $800 and of course then we were told they couldn't split the bill after being informed when we arrived that we could. Food and service pretty average 2/10

F*&(% me Jim thought you wouldve sent back all the meals that wernt satisfactory, i know I certainly would of. No excuse for cold meals
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2431 times
Been liked: 1670 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby JK » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:24 pm

JK wrote:Im confident it will stack up mate .. As an added bonus last night, the missus reckons we got the discount but they didn't take the voucher, happy days! :partyman:

BTW Wristy, Id be grabbing an entree - get the feeling the wait we experienced for our Mains was likely a common occurrence
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:33 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Surely they offered your meal for free for stuffing it up???

Not a cracker off mate
Jim05
Coach

Postby Magellan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Not let you split the bill? After all that, including serving up cold meals? Sounds like they should've split at least $100 off your bill.

Wow, that's one incompetent restaurant. Pity you didn't give them a serve (pun intended).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Surely they offered your meal for free for stuffing it up???

Not a cracker off mate

I would be putting this review on their Facebook page. That is just arrogance of the highest order from Sammys
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:06 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

F*&(% me Jim thought you wouldve sent back all the meals that wernt satisfactory, i know I certainly would of. No excuse for cold meals

Was for my mother in laws Birthday so members of the family pretty much begged me to zip it. When I fixed up the bill I let the girl know how rubbish it was.
Won't be going back that's for sure
Jim05
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:17 pm

The said family members should have paid for your frozen meals
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:48 pm

This was my favourite restaurant in the mid to late 90s so this saddens me. I went there last year and it was good but nowhere near the level of 10-20 years earlier. I however went on a Maybe Tuesday night as I work 5 minutes away and it was very quiet and I got very good service in a group of 3 which is obviously easy to manage.

Reading the above I agree you should contact the manager. I'd even mention my beloved SAFooty restaurant review thread with 32,000 views and see if they care about their customers. If worst comes to worst you tell the bastards they will be on our blacklist ;)

If I foot an $800 bill and copped your experience I'd have a fair bit to say. Food must be warm, service should be free of major errors and food of that price should come out together. If they can't tick those 3 boxes it's fair to feel aggrieved and deserving some form of compensation.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 852 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:42 pm

Lone Star on Mosley Square at Glenelg.(old McDonalds spot)

Only been open for three weeks so everything is clean, new and tidy.

Walking in we are greeted with friendly staff and given a small bucket of peanuts in shells while deciding what to eat.
Good selection of burgers, ribs, wings and steaks at reasonable prices.
The wife had a mushroom burger and she said it was much better than what she had at Chuck Wagon last week. Myself and my two boys shared Pork BBQ ribs, hot chicken wings and a serve of Onion Rings. Each were served with a huge quantity of steak cut chips. The Pork ribs were as good as I have had, meat fell off the bone and the taste was amazing. Wings were delicious also. When the Onion Rings hit the table they didn't look as good as the Chuck Wagons but they tasted much better. Ate way too much but left most of the chips on the plate so was worth the cost. Bill came to $83 including four drinks. Would give it a solid 8.5 and recommend it to anyone into this kind of food.

They do a two foot hotdog challenge (in 20 minutes) to get you photo on the wall of fame
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:45 pm

Brodlach wrote:Lone Star on Mosley Square at Glenelg.(old McDonalds spot)

Only been open for three weeks so everything is clean, new and tidy.

Walking in we are greeted with friendly staff and given a small bucket of peanuts in shells while deciding what to eat.
Good selection of burgers, ribs, wings and steaks at reasonable prices.
The wife had a mushroom burger and she said it was much better than what she had at Chuck Wagon last week. Myself and my two boys shared Pork BBQ ribs, hot chicken wings and a serve of Onion Rings. Each were served with a huge quantity of steak cut chips. The Pork ribs were as good as I have had, meat fell off the bone and the taste was amazing. Wings were delicious also. When the Onion Rings hit the table they didn't look as good as the Chuck Wagons but they tasted much better. Ate way too much but left most of the chips on the plate so was worth the cost. Bill came to $83 including four drinks. Would give it a solid 8.5 and recommend it to anyone into this kind of food.

They do a two foot hotdog challenge (in 20 minutes) to get you photo on the wall of fame

There was a lone star franchise in Melbourne around the early 2000's, not sure if they still exist and if so is the Glenelg one part of the chain?
Jim05
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:46 pm

We asked about that as there used to be one near South Road down south but this is totally new
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Brodlach wrote:We asked about that as there used to be one near South Road down south but this is totally new

Corner of south rd and Sturt rd??
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:57 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:We asked about that as there used to be one near South Road down south but this is totally new

Yep that's it
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:27 pm

Brodlach wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Yep that's it

Used to be Sizzler also.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5555 times
Been liked: 5179 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion