Landlord or Tenants responsibility?

Anything!

Landlord or Tenants responsibility?

Postby EldersUniSA » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Well I hope this is General Discussion.

I am renting and I have a tree out back that has hundreds of small tree like branches growing around it. I presume it is coming from it's roots.

Well I have got a garden maintenance guy to remove most of them.

Is this the tenants responsibility? or is this a nuisance tree and the land lords responsibility.

FYI we have just cut the from the stem and they're sure to grow back.

Thought this would suit a footy forum.
Elders Cricket Club Est 1931 UniSA/SAIT Cricket Club Est 1974
Elders UniSA Cricket Club 1999
Mawson Lakes Cricket Club 2010
EldersUniSA
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Mawson Lakes

Re: Landlord or Tenants responsibility?

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:29 pm

EldersUniSA wrote:Well I hope this is General Discussion.

I am renting and I have a tree out back that has hundreds of small tree like branches growing around it. I presume it is coming from it's roots.

Well I have got a garden maintenance guy to remove most of them.

Is this the tenants responsibility? or is this a nuisance tree and the land lords responsibility.

FYI we have just cut the from the stem and they're sure to grow back.

Thought this would suit a footy forum.

Depends on whether you're required to maintain the grounds.

Check your lease! Should tell you one way or another.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 781 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:59 am

Sounds like it may be a poplar - they are inclined to sprout forests from their roots, and the more you trim them the more they sprout.
I had some in my back yard when I lived in Prospect and my back door neighbour offered to go halves in getting rid of them if I'd agree.
He'd had a tree expert in and had been advised we would have to slowly poison the trees and their roots before removing them.
(We had to drill holes in the trunks and pour the poison in over a few weeks.)

You could try putting this to the agent if you could back it up, but it does depend very much on the terms of your lease in the end.
Maybe it is affecting your neighbours too which may help your case.

I'm thinking of removing a tree from a rental property I own. It is only a Birch but I think it is a Silver Birch which can become huge and its roots are lifting the concrete path in one place.
I'll get expert advice before acting - it may be that I can just trim the roots on that side a bit with a Birch and it is nice looking tree.
Last edited by Psyber on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Check your lease.
But, if you've already done it, you may be out of luck if you wish to get your money back.
From my experience, if you have a situation causing problems with the house and you fix it up without checking with the landlord/agent then it is your choice.
It is up to the landlord/agent to decide if it's a problem and whether they are prepared to pay for action to rectify it.

Then again, you may have a landlord who appreciates you care about the place enough to get something done and will be happy to pay after the fact.
It's worth trying your luck.

Good luck.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Gozu » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Check your lease.
But, if you've already done it, you may be out of luck if you wish to get your money back.
From my experience, if you have a situation causing problems with the house and you fix it up without checking with the landlord/agent then it is your choice.
It is up to the landlord/agent to decide if it's a problem and whether they are prepared to pay for action to rectify it.

That is as I understand it too.

I've got a dicey landlord who after I put in a complaint to the agent about the possums in my roof (which have been here since I moved in), is trying everything to avoid doing anything about it. He's taken to inviting himself over here every bloody night this week standing out the front for hours on end because he wants 'to see the possums first'.

His actions and track record imply he's hoping I fork out and take care of it myself but it's his responsibility.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 663 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Psyber wrote:Sounds like it may be a poplar - they are inclined to sprout forests from their roots, and the more you trim them the more they sprout.
I had some in my back yard when I lived in Prospect and my back door neighbour offered to go halves in getting rid of them if I'd agree.
He'd had a tree expert in and had been advised we would have to slowly poison the trees and their roots before removing them.
(We had to drill holes in the trunks and pour the poison in over a few weeks.)

You could try putting this to the agent if you could back it up, but it does depend very much on the terms of your lease in the end.
Maybe it is affecting your neighbours too which may help your case.

I'm thinking of removing a tree from a rental property I own. It is only a Birch but I think it is a Silver Birch which can become huge and its roots are lifting the concrete path in one place.
I'll get expert advice before acting - it may be that I can just trim the roots on that side a bit with a Birch and it is nice looking tree.

I concur with the poplar theory, though could be a plane tree. As I understand it the little tree things growing from the roots are called suckers.
Get yourself some secateurs and cut them off when they're small would be my advice, or else just mow them off when you do the lawn if the ground's level enough.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Punk Rooster » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:52 pm

Gozu wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Check your lease.

That is as I understand it too.

I've got a dicey landlord who after I put in a complaint to the agent about the possums in my roof (which have been here since I moved in), is trying everything to avoid doing anything about it. He's taken to inviting himself over here every bloody night this week standing out the front for hours on end because he wants 'to see the possums first'.

His actions and track record imply he's hoping I fork out and take care of it myself but it's his responsibility.
tell him they're cute and cuddly, and that he should go over and "learn it a lesson"... ;)
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Gozu » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:28 am

He's got nothing on him no cage, tools, ladder, helpers just nothing. What's the plan, is he going to ask them to leave? :roll:
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 663 times

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion