Cycling: fitness, racing or leisure rides..

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Re: Cycling: fitness, racing or leisure rides..

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Nice one, Ive heard the hardest bit of the Crafers climb is getting to devils elbow, seems weird when you drive up there, seems almost flat!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3577 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Must admit i did cheat though, had Jimmy on the ipod, "We're gonna riiiiii-iiiiddddeeee the night away....."

Easy to get up these hills around Adelaide with a collection of Jimmy, the Oils, Chisel and Gurus tunes!!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Postby pig_skin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 pm

am Bays wrote:Stoked

Just did the ride up to the old EOTH pub from work (Glenside) on the 39 crank. Just not using my 28 crank at all now. 182 MHR with a 77% (138 BPM) average. Forgot how bad that first bit Toll Gate to Devils Elbow is on teh bike track. Just can't get a rhythm with the pedal cadence.

Double good news been informed the tax returns have come through. Time to clear some space on the GE card then off to JT Cycles for some new wheels...

if you can't be a cyclist at least look like one!!!

nice one AM... what time did you head up there, i rode that tonight to mt osmond climb around 5pm today.... i reckon something plays on your mind on that first bit to devils elbow, it seems flat and seems it should be ok, but just isnt... :) starting to get keen for sunday... one smash tomorrow morning spinning ride then an easy one saturday morning for breakfast and coffee then 150km on sunday..
pig_skin
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby pig_skin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:03 pm

good luck to the lads/girls riding the grand slam tomorrow, have fun, ride safe.... get on some trains...
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby pig_skin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:19 pm

So how did everyone go today... Damn it was cold this morning, thought the first loop was great, good fun fast ride with some nice tough bits thrown in... The second loop... Well... The first 35km were easy all down hill, then whack huge head wind into strath... Then the fun started, if a 12km climb was not tough enough the head wind or should I say gale smacking you in the face made it super tough... Finally got to wistow then a roll into barker.. Stopped checked the footy score then on my way... Just out of flaxley cramp hit one of my drivers so stretched it out and pushed on the last 5km home... Great great ride today really enjoyed it,
And hated it all at once... Was never happier to be in echunga at the end and away from that head wind....
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:39 pm

I did notice the wind pick up just as I was loading my bike in the car after the first loop!

Did what I set out to achieve and complete the first loop OK, did it in 3hr 16m with just a 5 min stop, 22 km/h average.

I struggled a bit just out of Woodside for a few k's but that was it.

Was good fun and look forward to having a crack at Amy's ride now.

What times did you do PS?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby pig_skin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:05 am

Dutchy wrote:I did notice the wind pick up just as I was loading my bike in the car after the first loop!

Did what I set out to achieve and complete the first loop OK, did it in 3hr 16m with just a 5 min stop, 22 km/h average.

I struggled a bit just out of Woodside for a few k's but that was it.

Was good fun and look forward to having a crack at Amy's ride now.

What times did you do PS?

first loop was 2hr 13min, ave 32.8km/h
second loop was 2hr 56min, ave 27.1lm/h

i have never done Amy's ride but keen to have a go this year. is that the one from adelaide to mclaren???
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:02 am

you beat me by an hour! :shock:

Yep thats the one, starts at Flinders Uni, which is just down the hill from me and ends up at McLaren Vale via the coast, willunga hill and the some hills.

http://www.bikesa.asn.au/RideGuides_OnRoad_AmysRide
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mickey » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:03 pm

what distance are u looking at for Amys Ride dutchy?
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby pig_skin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:you beat me by an hour! :shock:

Yep thats the one, starts at Flinders Uni, which is just down the hill from me and ends up at McLaren Vale via the coast, willunga hill and the some hills.

http://www.bikesa.asn.au/RideGuides_OnRoad_AmysRide

The great news is you set out what you wanted to achieve... Well done.. YeAh I rode hard sunday and a group of us had a pretty good train going sitting on 40km/h for a while, makes long distance riding so much easier working for 5-7mins then getting pulled along for the next 25mins...
Are you gonna do the next one duchy?? 100/200... I have never ridden 200 before so that will be a challenge... Looking forward to it...

That amys ride looks good, very similar to one of the grand slam loops near wilunga.. And some good hills, does the ride down there go along the express way or that bike path???
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby mickey » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Express way pig skin. Unless you do the 25km version ;)

Are you a club rider/racer too?
mickey
Coach

Postby pig_skin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:03 pm

mickey wrote:Express way pig skin. Unless you do the 25km version ;)

Are you a club rider/racer too?

ah cool... so they will shut off a lane for us thats awesome.... at least it will be nice and smooth to ride on..

nah not a club rider/racer yet... looking to join this year, and get my racing licence so i can start racing.. im tossing up between norwood and adelaide cycling club, i dont think it matters really!! im still undecided if i want to focus on road racing or crits... think crits as the long rides are so gruelling.... :)
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Yeah going to try the 100km. Legs feel great today, I was prepared for pain, they must get getting used to it.

They close off the whole express way for Amys ride.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby pig_skin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:Yeah going to try the 100km. Legs feel great today, I was prepared for pain, they must get getting used to it.

They close off the whole express way for Amys ride.

yeah my legs were a bit sore... ass was pretty sore too. :) went for a light ride today to get the blood flowing again...
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby mickey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:29 pm

Do u lube up for the long rides Pig? or just grin and bare it?
mickey
Coach

Postby pig_skin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:20 pm

mickey wrote:Do u lube up for the long rides Pig? or just grin and bare it?

Haha, that sounds funny when you think about it.. :) anyway this was the first time I tried baby powder in the shorts... And found it was fine at the start but didn't notice Any difference at the end... It's not chaffing at all just sore ass from sitting on a hard seat all day I think... Haven't tried any lube or vas but I will give it a go... Just hope the misses doesn't walk in while i have vas in my hand and my other hand in my ass... ;) haha
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:37 pm

Did 33kms tonight as the legs were feeling real good, until I got on the bike! geez they were heavy...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mickey » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Should feel better on the bike next ride dutchy, always good to get some fresh blood pumping through the muscles to clear them out
mickey
Coach

Postby pig_skin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:19 pm

went for a ride this afternoon and did most of the route for Amy's ride.. rode the expressway bike path then onto main south rd to victor harbour rd out to willunga... up willunga hill then back down, then back the way i cam but came home lonsdale rd instead of the expressway bike path... just a tad under 80km.. basically bypassed the bit along the coast... the start up o'halloran hill is a burner to get the legs working but not to bad.. then cruised up and down rolling hills all the way out to Willunga this was a pretty cruisy ride... found it a tad hard to find a comfortable cycling rythm as it was up and down... then up old willunga hill tough climb that just doesnt feel like its gonna end.. i marked it out a tad over 3km... but once i got to the top wasnt feeling to bad, so probably should have pushed a little harder.. then cruised back into town and flew down lonsdale rd...

was by myself so was hurting a bit at a few stages so should be better when some groups around.. overall a pretty nice ride out there... really looking forward to doing the coast section in there as well in Amy's ride...
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 pm

pig_skin wrote:
nice one AM... what time did you head up there, i rode that tonight to mt osmond climb around 5pm today.... i reckon something plays on your mind on that first bit to devils elbow, it seems flat and seems it should be ok, but just isnt... :) starting to get keen for sunday... one smash tomorrow morning spinning ride then an easy one saturday morning for breakfast and coffee then 150km on sunday..

Did it in ~ 24 min today - toll gate to old EOTH pub.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 1831 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness