Marathon/Half Marathon Running

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Re: Marathon/Half Marathon Running

Postby asert » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:37 pm

How is your Adelaide marathon training going pelz, I'll be doing it after backing up from the Barossa. Someone said the other day that it won't be a fast course as it has a lot of gradual inclines, going to run the course next week. Hoping for a better time this time tho training has been a lot better as I crashed at the 32km mark in the Barossa. Got a nice pb at the 10km on the weekend parklands loop so feeling good
asert
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby pels » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:01 am

Not great at the moment, have had a sore hip for 2 weeks. I get to around 18km and it gets painful. I did 31 about 3 weeks ago and haven’t been able to do more than 18km since then. Hopefully it settles down and I can get a few long runs in before the marathon otherwise I might have to give it a miss :(

The course is going to be a 2 lap course around Nth Adelaide and their could be some slight undulations but nothing severe.
Personally I think its much better then the previous course which went from Adelaide oval thru the western suburbs towards the beach and then along the beach and back to Adelaide oval.

Good luck
pels
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 7 times

Postby asert » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I ran the course a few weeks ago and the hills are nothing to worry about at all. None are steep or long, all gradual and short in length. Should make for a good run, not sure about two loops but hoping its better than out and backs. I'm aiming for 3:45 this time after a big crash in the barossa at 32km. My poor lead up of training and it showed.
asert
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time

Postby pels » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:22 am

Have got thru a 33km & 36km run in the last 2 weeks and the body is feeling Ok
So will definitely enter the marathon but going to take it relaxed and not pressure myself for a PB.
I reckon anything between 3:40 – 3:50 I will be happy with.

I’m also doing the Yurebilla training run on Saturday of 35km in preparation for maybe attempting the Yurebilla 56km ultra on 23 Sept 8-}
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jase » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 am

pels wrote:Have got thru a 33km & 36km run in the last 2 weeks and the body is feeling Ok
So will definitely enter the marathon but going to take it relaxed and not pressure myself for a PB.

I’m also doing the Yurebilla training run on Saturday of 35km in preparation for maybe attempting the Yurebilla 56km ultra on 23 Sept 8-}

You is loco...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1488 times
Been liked: 560 times

Postby scoob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:29 pm

pels wrote:Have got thru a 33km & 36km run in the last 2 weeks and the body is feeling Ok

I have been up in the hills on the Yurebilla trail the last 3 weekends doing some running/hiking... it so nice to get away from the flat runs we had to do for the GC marathon training and do something different... 14km stint from amber gully to morialta last week - awesome fun... will look to extend the distance in the next few weeks.

Good luck to all in the adelaide marathon
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby pels » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:06 pm

That was a tough run on Sat morning from Eagle on the hill to Norton summit and back, nice to get away from the flat but the hills are killer.
Stay away from the Horsnell Gully area the hills there are brutal.
The legs are very sore today, but I now know what I'm in store for if I i'm gonna do the full run.
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby scoob » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:28 pm

pels wrote:That was a tough run on Sat morning from Eagle on the hill to Norton summit and back, nice to get away from the flat but the hills are killer.
The legs are very sore today, but I now know what I'm in store for if I i'm gonna do the full run.

Nice work Pels... you run all the hills? Cant imagine running up some of the steep ones (if ambers gully and the hills adjacent Montacute road are anything to go by)... All you can do is think of the good the hills are doing for you - you will fly in the marathon! and as you say its great to get off the flat.
scoob
Veteran

Marathon/Half Marathon Running

Postby Jase » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:51 pm

I have opened my big mouth to some mates and said that my plan is to run either the Barossa or Adelaide marathon next year. Depending on how my running is going.

I think I should have kept my mouth shut....

Does anyone know of a good program to use to get up to that level. We are starting from a pretty low base point here as well...
Jase
League - Best 21

Postby saintal » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:07 pm

pels wrote:Stay away from the Horsnell Gully area the hills there are brutal.

Have walked that area a few times following Heysen Trail. Tough enough walking, let alone jogging it.

The bottom area with the ruins etc is very scenic.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby pels » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Jase wrote:I have opened my big mouth to some mates and said that my plan is to run either the Barossa or Adelaide marathon next year. Depending on how my running is going.

Does anyone know of a good program to use to get up to that level. We are starting from a pretty low base point here as well...

Just search the net for beginner marathon training and you will find bucket loads of info, if you go to a library there are plenty of books out there that you can borrow. I have attached a training program and another with information about the training program.Start nice and slow and build the kms up slowly
Attachments
Novice marathon training program.pdf
(52.2 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Novice marathon training program info.pdf
(66.5 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby pels » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:58 pm

scoob wrote:
pels wrote:That was a tough run on Sat morning from Eagle on the hill to Norton summit and back, nice to get away from the flat but the hills are killer.

Nice work Pels... you run all the hills? Cant imagine running up some of the steep ones (if ambers gully and the hills adjacent Montacute road are anything to go by)... All you can do is think of the good the hills are doing for you - you will fly in the marathon! and as you say its great to get off the flat.

No, I walk most of the hills
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jase » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:31 am

pels wrote:
Jase wrote:I have opened my big mouth to some mates and said that my plan is to run either the Barossa or Adelaide marathon next year. Depending on how my running is going.

Just search the net for beginner marathon training and you will find bucket loads of info, if you go to a library there are plenty of books out there that you can borrow. I have attached a training program and another with information about the training program.Start nice and slow and build the kms up slowly

Thanks mate, I'll have a look at it... I've got a year (or so) to go before the long run, so will ramp up slowly and then follow the program...

Trying to get the legs back after 6 months of not running at all, is hurting me at the moment, but am getting some reasonable distance back (9Kms) after only a couple of weeks so feeling good about it...
Jase
League - Best 21

Postby scoob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:21 pm

I think making sure you do your long runs slowly (be able to have a conversation) to avoid injury is a good piece of advice... also teaches your body to burn your body fat (if you have any).
scoob
Veteran

Postby scoob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:22 pm

pels wrote:
scoob wrote:

Makes me feel a bit better then... Thought you might have been one of those super human people that smash the hills aswell...
scoob
Veteran

Postby pels » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:06 pm

scoob wrote:
pels wrote:
scoob wrote:

Makes me feel a bit better then... Thought you might have been one of those super human people that smash the hills aswell...

I wish I could power my way thru the hills :lol:
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:36 pm

scoob, pels, cennals, asert, enjoying reading your thoughts and perspectives.

Keen to increase my running to at least go in some 20k'ers, don't know whether I'll ever make a full one.

Out of interest, how do you prepare for your interstate runs in the last few days? Arrive a couple of days beforehand? A small run on the day before? Different beds or hotel noises or environments affect you much? How do you go for food, given many restaurant meals can have excess hidden fat and calories? Or aren't any of these things really factors in your planning?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby Bully » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:01 pm

something about milk that does it for me

i am training myself for a marathon (its hard with 2 jobs also) but when i drink a lot of milk before a run, i can run 15kms before i start to feel it, when i dont, maybe 10-12 kms i start feeling it.

Strange i know, but everyone is different
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby pels » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:scoob, pels, cennals, asert, enjoying reading your thoughts and perspectives.

Keen to increase my running to at least go in some 20k'ers, don't know whether I'll ever make a full one.

Out of interest, how do you prepare for your interstate runs in the last few days? Arrive a couple of days beforehand? A small run on the day before? Different beds or hotel noises or environments affect you much? How do you go for food, given many restaurant meals can have excess hidden fat and calories? Or aren't any of these things really factors in your planning?

Start slowly and increase one long run by 2km every week and you will running 20+ kms in a month or two.

I normally arrive at least 2 days before a race so I get 2 nights sleep before the race.
I always try to get an apartment/house with a kitchen so I can prepare my own meals.
Carbs for dinner 2 nights in a row before the run, Pasta or rice and no fancy sauces.
Day before the race go for a gentle 2-3 km jog just to stretch the legs.
Food for the morning of the race is a tricky one as you will need to find out what agrees with you.something light, i normally have 2-3 vita brits with sultanas
Haven’t had any issue with different beds or environment.
This is what works for me, everyone is different.

Enjoy your running
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks Pels.

Reckon the apartment is the way to go, fresh air and cooking facilities. The "environment" that really affects me is those hotels with no windows for fresh air, just recycled air, they affect me even just in normal life.

Over the years been doing plenty of 6-8k's, 3-4 a week, and probably 10-12k every couple of weeks, only very occasionally longer, just for fitness. But was starting to lose the motivation and needed to aim for something.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness