Cycling: fitness, racing or leisure rides..

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Re: Cycling: fitness, racing or leisure rides..

Postby RustyCage » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:23 pm

I'd be too worried about getting knocked off by a car to ride too much.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:27 am

Ive been trying to think of variations to get from the city to Flaggy (work to home) and last night decided to go up old belair road, planned to do it in 2 stages by stopping for a breather at Windy point, when I got there though I felt good so pushed on and before I knew it I was up the top! Some great views looking back down the hill which helps with the sense on achievement, was then a nice up and down ride thru belair/blackwood/coro to Flaggy.

Can anyone give me a comparison of the old belair rd climb compared to the crafers climb and norton summit climbs? Want to get an idea of how far off Im from those.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2344 times
Been liked: 3614 times

Postby mickey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Dutchy, if you go to www.gmap-pedometer.com and find your route, you can set a trip and gives distance and elevation, and get a map like the tour races etc.
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby mickey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:18 pm

mickey wrote:Have looked at Avanti and Scott and leaning slightly to the Avanti Cadent 1.0 with shimano 105 components.

Went into JT cycles this arvo... I think looking at too many different bikes is going to confuse things more and more...

I do have a new favourite though, the Giant TCR composite 2. Full carbon frame with 105 gearing, was amazing and only 1600 on special.
mickey
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:Ive been trying to think of variations to get from the city to Flaggy (work to home) and last night decided to go up old belair road, planned to do it in 2 stages by stopping for a breather at Windy point, when I got there though I felt good so pushed on and before I knew it I was up the top! Some great views looking back down the hill which helps with the sense on achievement, was then a nice up and down ride thru belair/blackwood/coro to Flaggy.

Can anyone give me a comparison of the old belair rd climb compared to the crafers climb and norton summit climbs? Want to get an idea of how far off Im from those.

How much extra time did it add to your ride Dutchy?? That route is my plan as I get closer to Amy's ride and TDU, Up Old Belair rd then up the Veloway as I go home to Sheidow park from Parkside. I'm tipping it is going to add an extra 15-20 mins to my trip home which usually takes just over an hour.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1834 times

Postby pig_skin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Can anyone give me a comparison of the old belair rd climb compared to the crafers climb and norton summit climbs? Want to get an idea of how far off Im from those.[/quote]

Dutchy - i love the old belair rd climb one of my favourites.. i reckon you get some sort of energy kick when you hit windy point and just want to keep on going.. :)

norton Summit is a lot like old belair rd just longer, i think its a tad over 6km from the bottom to the scienic hotel at the top, the last 1km to the hotel is rolling hills so its quite easy.. its overall not any steeper, (id probably guess its 5% gradient, think belair is about 6.0%) its about 2.5km longer though.. and nice views too....

crafers climb are you talking about the old freeway from portrush rd to crafers?

once again about the same gradient as old belair but its about 8km.. and no cars so its safer to ride... comign down is amazing you can get nice and quick with the wide sweeping bends.. :)

if you want to check out hill climbs in adelaide hit up this website
http://cycle2max.com.au/bike-hill-climb ... rials.aspx

depending on how you felt at the top of belair i reckon you should be able to give these a crack now..

good luck.. :)
pig_skin
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby pig_skin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:26 pm

mickey wrote:
mickey wrote:Have looked at Avanti and Scott and leaning slightly to the Avanti Cadent 1.0 with shimano 105 components.

Went into JT cycles this arvo... I think looking at too many different bikes is going to confuse things more and more...

I do have a new favourite though, the Giant TCR composite 2. Full carbon frame with 105 gearing, was amazing and only 1600 on special.

my mate has that same bike but bought one with ultegra group set and he loves it..... rides really well, i have had a quick ride on it and was very comfy... and thats a great price
i reckon i saw the white giant TCR composite 1 for $2000 on sale too in there the other day which has the ultegra groupset...
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby pels » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:09 pm

pig_skin wrote:
mickey wrote:

my mate has that same bike but bought one with ultegra group set and he loves it..... rides really well, i have had a quick ride on it and was very comfy... and thats a great price
i reckon i saw the white giant TCR composite 1 for $2000 on sale too in there the other day which has the ultegra groupset...

Its a bit like that so many different bikes can make the decision even more confusing, but this does look like a nice bike for quality & price
pels
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 7 times

Postby pels » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Used to love riding the Norton summit route and that was on a mountain bike about 10 years ago, Glut for punishment I was.

Starting to get a real itch to do some decent riding, but first have to get my marathon outta of the way and then get a decent bike and get into it hopefully by the summer.

Geez the wife is going to be impressed first running and then cycling she already thinks I’m crazy
pels
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 7 times

Postby dedja » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Thoughts on carbon vs alloy?

I've always considering carbon frames as unforgiving and once damaged (cracked) basically can't be repaired plus someone at my level of proficiency will not notice the difference between carbon and alloy.

IMO it's a waste of money if you're a beginner/intermediate ... start with an alloy and after, say, a couple of years of hard riding you'll be ready for a carbon fame.

I've got a few mates with decent carbon frame bikes ($4K-5K) and whilst they are in a league way above me, a couple have burnt some decent coin replacing cracked frames.

Also remember that once you buy a new bike it will depreciate very, very quickly.

mickey, any reason why you're thinking of carbon?
Last edited by dedja on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 pm

am Bays wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Ive been trying to think of variations to get from the city to Flaggy (work to home) and last night decided to go up old belair road, planned to do it in 2 stages by stopping for a breather at Windy point, when I got there though I felt good so pushed on and before I knew it I was up the top! Some great views looking back down the hill which helps with the sense on achievement, was then a nice up and down ride thru belair/blackwood/coro to Flaggy.

How much extra time did it add to your ride Dutchy?? That route is my plan as I get closer to Amy's ride and TDU, Up Old Belair rd then up the Veloway as I go home to Sheidow park from Parkside. I'm tipping it is going to add an extra 15-20 mins to my trip home which usually takes just over an hour.

Took me an extra 20 min, usually takes me 65 min from city to flaggy up the veloway, took me 1 hr 26m via blackwood, its an extra 6kms. As it was my first climb up a hill like that I didnt hit it hard in case I gassed myself, so probably could take 5-10 min off it in a month or so I reckon.

@ Pig thanks for the info, might do Old Belair a couple more times and then try the others. Also looking forward to joining a regular Sunday morning ride group that goes thru the hills once footy season is over.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mickey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:59 pm

My old bike circa 2003 was an alloy frame, after riding that and then picking up a carbon frame the other week I was blown away by the weight difference..

Seeing that at the moment the prices aren't that far apart, and this will be the bike for the next 5 years or so I'm figuring I may as well get the best I can afford now.

Plus I'm not the best climber and anything that makes it slightly easier is always a good thing. ;)
mickey
Coach

Postby dedja » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:02 pm

fair enough ... just don't drop your bike ;)
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:56 pm

I got myself the MFA Lambretta the other day...

...Kills me on a hill climb :lol:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Jokes aside, you cycling enthusiasts may be interested in this gallery:

Photos: Classic Bicycle Design Over the Last Century
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby mickey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:54 pm

NORTON SUMMIT

Start Point: cnr. Old Norton Summit and new Norton Summit Rd., rolling

End point: driveway of first house on left after the 'cliff drop offs' which are also on the left, number 169

Total Distance:
5.60km | 3.48mi

Starting Altitude:
136m | 446ft

Finishing Altitude:
407m | 1,335ft

Average Gradient: 4.9%

Elevation Gain:
271m | 889ft

Surface Type:
Smooth Bitumen / Asphalt

OLD BELAIR ROAD
Start Point: Cnr Old Belair Rd and McLaren Street , rolling

End point: Give way sign at top of hill (Cnr Old Belair and Sheoak Rd)

Total Distance:
2.00km | 1.24mi

Starting Altitude:
160m | 525ft

Finishing Altitude:
320m | 1,050ft

Average Gradient: 8.0%

Elevation Gain:
160m | 525ft

Surface Type:
Other

THE OLD FREEWAY HILL

Directions

Go to the intersection of cross rd, portrush rd. This climb follows the bike path up for the first couple of kilometres and takes you onto the Old Freeway at Devils Elbow where you continue on to the top.

Start Point: the traffic lights at the intersection, rolling

End point: the start of the dis-used rd just after the bollards

Total Distance:
8.80km | 5.47mi

Starting Altitude:
140m | 459ft

Finishing Altitude:
560m | 1,837ft

Average Gradient: 4.8%

Elevation Gain:
420m | 1,378ft

Surface Type:
Smooth Bitumen / Asphalt
mickey
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:05 pm

I thought old belair road was the one that went past Windy Point? or have I got them mixed up?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mickey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Not sure Dutchy, was going off the cycle2max site..
This is the Windy Point Climb

Go straight up Unley Road heading South all the way to the end.

Start Point: Last traffic Lights at base of hill., rolling

End point: Real Estate office at top with green looking postal box (use to be a telephone box)

Total Distance:
3.70km | 2.30mi

Starting Altitude:
104m | 341ft

Finishing Altitude:
309m | 1,014ft

Average Gradient: 5.6%

Elevation Gain:
205m | 673ft
mickey
Coach

Postby pig_skin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:09 pm

mickey wrote:Not sure Dutchy, was going off the cycle2max site..
This is the Windy Point Climb

Go straight up Unley Road heading South all the way to the end.

Start Point: Last traffic Lights at base of hill., rolling

End point: Real Estate office at top with green looking postal box (use to be a telephone box)

Total Distance:
3.70km | 2.30mi

Starting Altitude:
104m | 341ft

Finishing Altitude:
309m | 1,014ft

Average Gradient: 5.6%

Elevation Gain:
205m | 673ft

The belair rd climb is generally Windy point.. thats the one most cyclists do, up past windy point restaurant then up to the top by the BP servce station... windy point is belair rd....
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby pig_skin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:15 pm

dedja wrote:Thoughts on carbon vs alloy?

I've always considering carbon frames as unforgiving and once damaged (cracked) basically can't be repaired plus someone at my level of proficiency will not notice the difference between carbon and alloy.

IMO it's a waste of money if you're a beginner/intermediate ... start with an alloy and after, say, a couple of years of hard riding you'll be ready for a carbon fame.

I've got a few mates with decent carbon frame bikes ($4K-5K) and whilst they are in a league way above me, a couple have burnt some decent coin replacing cracked frames.

Also remember that once you buy a new bike it will depreciate very, very quickly.

mickey, any reason why you're thinking of carbon?

Carbon all the way...
i had an alloy frame a few years ago and once going to carbon will never go back..

just a question how did they crack their frames??? - i have came off my bike a few times 40+km plus and a few scratches but nothing to serious... i have never had a problem with carbon frames... the stiffness, weight and feel of the carbon frame easily outweight any reason to go alloy..
and the price of Carbon frames at the low/mid end is not that different compared to alloy now days.. even the top of the line specialized s worx carbon frame is under 4 grand...
pig_skin
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness