Mobile roaming charges

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Mobile roaming charges

Postby JAS » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:48 pm

While looking into various things for Op Wombat I came across this info and advice on mobile roaming and how to try and avoid the bill from hell.

Now I know it's a UK site but I'm sure with most phone companies being global beasts similar pitfalls and the ways to avoid them would apply to you guys too so if nothing else it might help give a few ideas of what to look into as an alternative or questions to ask your own provider.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones ... ming-calls

Despite the slightly cluttered look of the site the guy is reputable as a financial expert here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lew ... rnalist%29

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Mobile roaming charges

Postby Psyber » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:38 am

You may find it is cheaper to get a local pre-paid SIM card, even though they tend to run to 45 cents flag fall and 35 cents per 30 seconds.
That's what several of my travelling group did in South Africa last year for the 12 days.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby JAS » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:45 pm

Doesn't really apply to me cos I dont own, want or need a mobile phone so there's no way I'm getting one just for a couple of weeks over there.

I'm planning to go down the route of netbook (which I do have uses for beyond the trip) and wi-fi hotspots so I've started looking into this option for the trip via Skype...
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/a ... Number-_-3

From what I can tell so far I'd only be able to actually take calls if was online but I think it would allow people I need to arrange to meet up with to leave me voice mails at a local phone rate then I could call them back or sms them when I get to a hotspot :D and obviously I'll also have the pm system on here and the Legs forum, Facebook and emails so for me I think that pretty much covers what I need...and I can use all that to stay in touch back home as well.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Psyber » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Fair enough JAS, if you don't already have one you don't need one for 2 weeks here, as you say.

I only have a mobile because I can buy a cheap unlocked phone and have found a form of "pay as you use" plan with no minimum spend and good call rates.
I average about $6.00 a month at no flag fall and 29 cents a minute charged by the second.

It is just a phone as far as I am concerned and I don't use them for the Internet or entertainment.
The phone I bought in early 2004 is dying - it was a tiny pocket sized Taiwanese model I can't get a battery for in Oz.
But I picked up an unlocked NOKIA 7100 for $150.00 recently.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Board index   General Talk  Travel