5 Favourite Places

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

5 Favourite Places

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:40 pm

OK - Further to the fav city thread, anywhere in the world, what are your 5 favourite places and why?

1. London - there's so much to do. Despite living there for 5 years, I don't think I even covered a quarter of the options. Highlights: Borough Markets, Premier League Football, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (best pub I've ever been to), Tower of London, Richmond Park.

2. Istanbul - it's got the lot. Cracking history, a BEAUTIFUL city, the Bosphorus and just general culture in spades. Turkey in general is just a fantastic place.

3. Banff, Canada - if you want a snow holiday, this is the place to go. It's not ski-in, ski-out, in fact you need to catch a bus to all of the 3 ski areas. Its ski areas are world class, with Sunshine being my favourite spot, especially on a powder day. Plus it's all the extra's that make it unmissable - dog sledding, ice climbing, ice fishing, snow mobiling, heli-skiing, ice skating on a frozen lake/river just outside your front door etc. The best thing about Banff is that it's even better in Summer!!!

4. Egypt - all of it. If you're a history buff, just make sure you get there. Their culture is fascinating too.

5. Portugal - all of it. This is easily the most underrated place on the planet. Rich history, beautiful buildings and cities in general, spectacular beaches (with some :shock: :shock: scenery ;) ) and the friendliest, most laid back people I've met anywhere on my travels. If I had to pick somewhere to live for the rest of my life, somehwere near Lisbon would be my pick.

Fire away...
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Re: 5 Favourite Places

Postby redandblack » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Cascais perhaps, da?

I agree totally about Portugal. I've just returned from 3 weeks there in May. I've travelled a lot, but Portugal rocketed up the list of my favourite places.

1 Out of the cities in the USA. In particular, driving through the deserts of Utah and Arizona, through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, etc, etc, etc. Out of the top 20 scenic things that I've seen, probably 10 would be in America. Forget the cities, get out on the road. It's a different country. See Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, teh Colorado Rockies, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Death Valley, Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, etc, etc,

2 Portugal - see above (more another time).

3 China - well worth a trip. This is one where a tour would be wise for a first trip. Great cities and get down south to places like the Li River Li (absolutely outstanding), Lijiang and Guilin.

4 Nearly anywhere in Europe or Scandinavia. Don't forget Finland, Norwegian Fjiords, etc.

5 Nepal, especially Kathmandu for something totally different.

That just scratches the surface, of course.

What a great new forum :)
redandblack

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:06 pm

redandblack wrote:Cascais perhaps, da?

I agree totally about Portugal. I've just returned from 3 weeks there in May. I've travelled a lot, but Portugal rocketed up the list of my favourite places.

Spot on!!! I spent 3 days in and around Estoril. We hadn't planned on doing so, but the missus and I loved it so much, we extended the Lisbon leg of our trip and spent extra time there. What a spectacular place.

People think I'm mad banging on about Portugal, their loss!

EDIT - we spent ages on this beach (not the best shot, but ahhhh, the memories!):
Last edited by devilsadvocate on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:08 pm

redandblack wrote:4 Nearly anywhere in Europe or Scandinavia. Don't forget Finland, Norwegian Fjiords, etc.

I was saying to the missus this week, what a huge regret it is that we didn't go to Scandanavia, and Finland in particular.

I'll get there one day!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby JAS » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:07 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:OK - Further to the fav city thread, anywhere in the world, what are your 5 favourite places and why?

oooh good...sorry AFLflyer but I couldn't pick just one city...I've liked almost everywhere for different reasons. So in no particular order...except No1 which would be my favourite so far...

1. Jordan. I love ancient history and archaeology so the place is perfect and has eveything from entire Roman cities to amazing Byzantine mosaics all still in situ. Some of the nicest food I've had. What I didn't expect and what made the place top of the list for me was the unbelievably fantastic hospitality of the people. Almost everywhere I was invited into homes, both houses and Bedouin tents, for tea and to freshen up. I was there in April 2002 so 9/11 was still very recent as was a threat of war but there was not one bit of animosity to me for being a 'Westerner'.

2. Italy. Travelled across the north on a holiday to Yugoslavia as a child with my granny and went to Florence about 4 years ago. Loved it both times. Fab food and gorgeous vino and beer. Great place to go if you're a girlie...my mate and I (both 40 somethings) had a hoot flirting back outrageously with waiters, various (they started it ;;) ) If you do get to Florence this little place is a must...we found it be chance as it's not in most guide books and spent ages playing and being kids again http://www.mostredileonardo.com/ ...heaps of fun and turned out to be just about our favourite place.

3. Czech Republic. Only been to Prague but it has to be one of the most beautiful looking cities I've been to...stunning architecture and they've managed to make modern sit comfortably in with the old...something that the UK could learn a big lesson from when you look at our crap. Food is good but not a place for Veggies or the health conscious. Only downside, which is probably the main attraction for you lot, is the stag-do brigade...they really do make you ashamed to be a Brit :evil:

4. Cyprus. A long time since I went there and can't speak for the hotels etc...I was in a barracks back then but it really does have something for everyone and if you're there for a while it's a great base for short trips to Greece/Israel/Egypt etc. Not huge so everything is a reasonable distance no matter where you are. Has amazingly good food...especially the beef yet you never see a herd of cattle. Great beaches, if that's your thing (my idea of holiday hell), historic sites and archaeology, even skiing in winter. Only time I'd say to avoid like the plague is around the anniversary of the Turkish invasion...can get pretty nasty and they can't get to the North to beat the Turks so they take it out on the tourists instead (sadly I saw that for myself).

5. Russia. Did a river cruise from St Petersberg to Moscow for my 40th and my demob. Amazing country...only saw a minute part of it but got a feel for just how vast it is. The architecture is stunning as are the museums...my favourites were the musuem of architecture near Novgorod...they've moved entire building into one huge area to preserve them...and the Armoury in Moscow...has all the things that belonged to the Tzars from clothing to jewllery to weapons to dinner plates and the famous 'eggs'...wealth on an obscene scale but incredible craftsmanship.

Hoping I can bump this in a year and Adelaide will squeeze into the list :D

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Nice work JAS. Looks like you're pretty well travelled!

I really regret no extending my Egypt tour and including Jordan. Lots of mates have been and mirrored pretty much everything you said.

I'd also love to go to Cyprus and Malta. Sailing in and around those two, plus Greek/Turkish islands and southern Italy would be awesome!!

I won a trip to Russia. Long story why I didn't get to go. All I can say is Russian Immigration/Visa process :evil: :evil: :( .
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby godoubleblues » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:30 am

well here are mine, in no particular order

New Zealand - just love the place, so easy to get around, just like travelling in OZ, and the country side is spectacular, especially the South Island (although the ferry ride from sth is to nth is wasnt much fun ;) )

Vietnam - great place to visit, heaps of history, the people and food are fantastic and everything is so cheap, 500ml tiger beers for 1USD 8)

Hong Kong - a bustle of a city, people everywhere, love the lights at night down at the foreshore

Vanuatu - fantastic laid back islands, took our kids and it was great for kids as well, and the people were fabulous, so friendly

Western Sahara/East Timor - I have bracketed these as I visited on deployment with the army so definitely no holiday. It was just a huge insight into how those countries operate and how the locals survive. These trips bring home to me how lucky we are in Australia.

heading off to Europe in sep for a cruise around the meditteranean with a stopover in KL, so that should be fun
will probably be more enjoyable now seeing as Sturt wont make the finals :lol:
godoubleblues
Coach

Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby Psyber » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:48 am

Kruger.
Ulu Skrang - Iban village on the river Skrang.
Semonggok Wildlife Sanctuary.
Sepilok.
Selingan Island.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby fisho mcspaz » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:37 pm

I am not very well-travelled outside Australia yet, so here goes:

1. Florida Keys. I will never forget driving from Miami to Key West and the sights I saw along the way.
2. Halls Gap. If I lived there I would be running up the mountains every day!
3. Flinders Ranges. Been knocking around there since I was a kid. Lots of good memories.
4. Melbourne. My favourite city.
5. Atlanta, Georgia. Last time I was there was because I was on trial but ironically it was the one place I've ever felt completely free to do what I want.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dirko » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:43 pm

My favourite 5 places I've been to.

5. Hong Kong - Went with a Chinese mate who had a friend in Honkers, so saw the "real" Hong Kong.
4. Krabi - Thailand. Great beaches, beautiful water, great food, without the hub bub of Patong etc
3. Vienna - Just a beautiful city.
2. Hoi An - Best city in Vietnam. Beautiful.
1. Luang Prubang - Loas. A must see for anyone in that region. French Pastries washed down with fine coffee, cigars, French Wine, Loation food, waffles from street vendors, Monks, a truly fantastic place.
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby godoubleblues » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:03 pm

SJABC wrote:2. Hoi An - Best city in Vietnam. Beautiful.

top place, we loved it when we were there, not too big, easy to walk around, good restaurants and the missus loved it as she could get some clothes made cheaply
we even did a cooking class there, great fun

did you get out to Halong Bay?? now that is a beautiful place
godoubleblues
Coach

Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby Il Duce » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Granada in Spain, Love the mix between the Jewish, Moorish and Catholic culture and history in the city, so much to see and do, at night time its one hell of a party zone and the general average in the city is 26
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby best on hill » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:22 pm

i havent travelled outside of Australia as yet,
but i have a few favourite places i have visited and stayed at
1. gold coast
2. Longreach
3. McLaren vale
4. gawler/flinders ranges
5. last but certainly not least lucky bay is my most favourite place.
COWELL FOOTBALL CLUB est.1901
premiers 1902,04,07,22,24,26,27,28,31,32,34,37,38,39,46,50,52,53,54,55,58,59,69(cowell north),96,99,2006,07,09
oldest club on E.P.!
best on hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Cowell

Postby Il Duce » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:40 pm

Il Duce wrote:Granada in Spain, Love the mix between the Jewish, Moorish and Catholic culture and history in the city, so much to see and do, at night time its one hell of a party zone and the general average in the city is 26

+ In no order my personal favorites that arent the usally locations (rome, london, paris, berlin, prague, madrid, hong kong, tyoko etc which I do still like.)

Bataan - Philipines
Porto - Portugal
Budapest - Hungary
Split - Croatia
Kyoto - Japan
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Postby redandblack » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm not long back from Porto, Duce,.

Totally agree, really interesting place. The visit to Crofts Port cellars was Ok, too ;)
redandblack

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:01 am

redandblack wrote:I'm not long back from Porto, Duce,.

Totally agree, really interesting place. The visit to Crofts Port cellars was Ok, too ;)

I LOVED Porto. Fscinating place.
Did you fellas have a Francesinho? Mmmmmmmmm Grilled cheese covered sausage, pork and ham toastie, with a beer based BBQ sauce. Basically, the Portuguese version of a parmi!!

I went to a Port wine cellar too. Was feeling shithouse prior, as was the missus (delhi-belly). I drank my arse off and she sat in the corner. I felt fine and was instantly cured. She suffered on for 3 days!!!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Il Duce » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:16 am

devilsadvocate wrote:
redandblack wrote:I'm not long back from Porto, Duce,.

I LOVED Porto. Fscinating place.
Did you fellas have a Francesinho? Mmmmmmmmm Grilled cheese covered sausage, pork and ham toastie, with a beer based BBQ sauce. Basically, the Portuguese version of a parmi!!

I went to a Port wine cellar too. Was feeling shithouse prior, as was the missus (delhi-belly). I drank my arse off and she sat in the corner. I felt fine and was instantly cured. She suffered on for 3 days!!!

They tasted awesome and yeah went to the wine cellar too, I love porto and even managed to get tickets to a Porto V Benfica game.
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Postby Il Duce » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:45 am

While I am at Montevideo, Uruguay is a very underated place, plenty of culture and historical things and also they 2 fantastic things food wise

Chivito's the best burgers I have ever had, meat was so tender and the filings complamented them so well and Asado the best bbq method ever and just ask for 1 of everything and check the looks you will get and if you want to stare even harder and with more astonasment ask for 1 of everything again after you finished the first lot.

chivito.jpg
chivito.jpg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 728 times

thats the Chivito

fbe74fa9cd88363475211e5221c8fd15.jpg
fbe74fa9cd88363475211e5221c8fd15.jpg (103.04 KiB) Viewed 728 times

Asado one of those on 4 sides (mostly not in the pic of corse), and if you ask for one of everything you will get it males hevean
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Postby redandblack » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:08 am

Il Duce, Montevideo was one of the first places I ever went to, a long time ago, on a line voyage from Sydney to Southampton, via Auckland, Montevideo, Rio, Canary Islands and Lisbon.
redandblack

Postby Dirko » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:27 am

godoubleblues wrote:did you get out to Halong Bay?? now that is a beautiful place

Agreed. Fantastic couple of days cruising around. Had a great feed of seafood at one of the floating restaurants.

Vietnam is all good !
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Next

Board index   General Talk  Travel