Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Postby Booney » Wed May 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Well, what an amazing trip.

For a bloke who was right out of his comfort zone, I loved it! The food was spectacular, little Mum and Dad kitchens on the beach front, $4 for deep fried prawns,squid, or chicken with rice, $4 for a 600ml long neck of Singha, $2.50 for satay entree....and it was all brilliant.

Stayed in the Beyond Resort ( part of the Kata Group ) in Khao Lak. 4.5 star and could not fault the place. Brilliant. In among a resort strip so no hawkers or people flogging you t-shirts, walk along the beach to get a $12 one hour full body massage ( no, not happy ), girls got manicure/pedicures for about $8 Australian which they told me would be $40-50 here while sitting on the beach sipping $3 cocktails, sun, 33° most days with 90+% humidity, swim up bar in the resort had "happy hours" from 11-12:30, 3-4:30 and 6-7:30 every day, 25% off all drinks ( Had one massive day in the swim up bar with two lads from Brisbane, G'day Tommy and Nicko ) met some lovely Swisse people, but the resort was pretty much full of Aussies.

Scooters out for a day or two, elephant trekking and washing the elephants in a river, a boat ride out on Phang Nga Bay through the islands where you kayak under a cave into a hidden lagoon, visited a temple and met the monks, shopping at the markets, beers from the Tesco nearby to fill the villa's fridge....simply stunning people, so friendly, the food amazing, the place stunningly beautiful.

I'm a hermit crab, I never thought I'd see the likes of Thailand or SE Asia, I can't wait to go back!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 27, 2015 12:10 pm

Although my trip is going to be slightly different, you've got me pumped for later this year!
Four months and counting.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Booney wrote:Well, what an amazing trip.

For a bloke who was right out of his comfort zone, I loved it! The food was spectacular, little Mum and Dad kitchens on the beach front, $4 for deep fried prawns,squid, or chicken with rice, $4 for a 600ml long neck of Singha, $2.50 for satay entree....and it was all brilliant.

Stayed in the Beyond Resort ( part of the Kata Group ) in Khao Lak. 4.5 star and could not fault the place. Brilliant. In among a resort strip so no hawkers or people flogging you t-shirts, walk along the beach to get a $12 one hour full body massage ( no, not happy ), girls got manicure/pedicures for about $8 Australian which they told me would be $40-50 here while sitting on the beach sipping $3 cocktails, sun, 33° most days with 90+% humidity, swim up bar in the resort had "happy hours" from 11-12:30, 3-4:30 and 6-7:30 every day, 25% off all drinks ( Had one massive day in the swim up bar with two lads from Brisbane, G'day Tommy and Nicko ) met some lovely Swisse people, but the resort was pretty much full of Aussies.

Scooters out for a day or two, elephant trekking and washing the elephants in a river, a boat ride out on Phang Nga Bay through the islands where you kayak under a cave into a hidden lagoon, visited a temple and met the monks, shopping at the markets, beers from the Tesco nearby to fill the villa's fridge....simply stunning people, so friendly, the food amazing, the place stunningly beautiful.

I'm a hermit crab, I never thought I'd see the likes of Thailand or SE Asia, I can't wait to go back!

I leave on Sunday for 3 weeks of bliss, 2 weeks in Thailand and finish with a week in Bali
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Booney wrote:Well, what an amazing trip.

Nice work Boon. Only 3 weeks till I'm back there for a wedding 8)
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:47 pm

How much did the trip cost ya in round figures booney?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 28, 2015 9:22 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:How much did the trip cost ya in round figures booney?

$4k +/-

$1000 ( 999 ) + $320 ( see upgrade below ) for 8 nights 4.5 star, two people, including breakfast, airport transfers, two dinners ( buffet all you can eat ), a Thai cooking class in the restaurant, 8 * 30 minute massages in the resort spa OR use the 8 vouchers for cocktails in the resort. Beyong Resort Khao Lak, they will reportedly do the special again next year, perhaps even cheaper! ( I'll do it again if they do )

Flights ( about $800 each return ) with Singapore Airlines ( excellent service, food and hosties ;) )

Also upgraded our room for the last two nights which gave us free mini bar, private pool attached to our room on the beach front, spa etc...that was 4000 Baht per night ( $160 per night - hey, she only turns 40 once, and it was worth it.... :lol: ;) )

Spent about $1500-1800 while there. The resort was pretty expensive drinks wise, so ended up buying a carton at the local Tesco to stick in the fridge, the guard at the resort wasn't to keen on outside drinks at the pool though. Did two full day tours ( islands / kayaking and elephant trek ) along with plenty of shopping that wasn't all that cheap really. ( Khao Lak is tourist stronghold, a far cry from Patong and Phuket itself so the shopping isn't as great ) and we pretty much ate, drank and did as we pleased.

I think being in a group of 10 meant we were more inclined to have "big" dinners, eat and drink wise, I think if we went just the two of us we would cut at least $500-700 off the spending while there. First time travelers, so next time I think we'd be smarter / more money wise.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:46 am

cheers for that boonmeister

don't have any real urge to visit that part of the world, although the mrs has been to the main hotspots for aussie tourists. but having read your review and others mentioning similar positive things, perhaps I might put it on the agenda to get around too when opportunities arise.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 28, 2015 12:02 pm

I think, I know I've been spoiled with my first adventure. I'm pretty sure Bali will never be seen by these eyes.

Next, perhaps Vietnam or Cambodia....or, another 4.5-5 stars in Thailand!

The exercise of travel, passports, customs, immigration was nowhere near as daunting as I first thought it would be. Mind you, I didn't have a boogie board full of hooch or 2kg of heroin up my arse! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu May 28, 2015 12:26 pm

The great thing about Thailand is the choice of places to visit. Khao Lak is my favourite, but hanging to get to Krabi in a few weeks. Decided on a pool access room this time round :)
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:15 pm

So...the hotel in which we'll be staying, just over a month from now, in Bangkok is just under 1500m from where the bombing took place.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:So...the hotel in which we'll be staying, just over a month from now, in Bangkok is just under 1500m from where the bombing took place.

Dont let it stop you going, could happen anywhere. We have been to Bangkok plenty of times and its a fantastic place.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:34 am

We're not. But we have sought a little advice about a few things here and there.

I've been trying to read up on the area where the orphanage that we're visiting is, but can find bugger all. I reckon we're going to a place where few westerners go. However, it appears there are good roads and there's plenty of civilisation. We've booked a hirevan - fits 8 to 10, has a/c and a DVD player (which will keep the kids occupied) for 5.5 hour each-way trip. The orphanage is at Lom Sauk, Phetchabun.

As far as the Vietnam leg of our trip goes, I've read recently that the main thing I wanted to see in Hanoi is closed during our time there - Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum. A bit disappointing, but I'm sure plenty of other things will make up for it.

We're on the countdown now - one month to go.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:27 pm

We are going next Monday. No one in our group is worried about recent events. Have they caught the dude that did it?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:We're not. But we have sought a little advice about a few things here and there.

I've been trying to read up on the area where the orphanage that we're visiting is, but can find bugger all. I reckon we're going to a place where few westerners go. However, it appears there are good roads and there's plenty of civilisation. We've booked a hirevan - fits 8 to 10, has a/c and a DVD player (which will keep the kids occupied) for 5.5 hour each-way trip. The orphanage is at Lom Sauk, Phetchabun.

As far as the Vietnam leg of our trip goes, I've read recently that the main thing I wanted to see in Hanoi is closed during our time there - Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum. A bit disappointing, but I'm sure plenty of other things will make up for it.

We're on the countdown now - one month to go.

@Dogwatcher

You've tried this?

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g ... tions.html
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Starting on plans for 2017 holiday... I like to be organised.

Been to Pattaya, Phuket & Koh Samui (via Bangkok) in past years. Loved every trip, for different reasons/experiences.

Considering Hua Hin this time around. Keen to know if anyone on here has been there, and can give advice.

We (Mrs Corona & Me) like to get out of our cold winters. So late June/early July is our timing. Nice and warm in LOS that time of year. The Mrs is happy sitting back reading countless books all day by the beach or pool. I get bored after a few days of that, so a hit of golf, or some go karting, day trips work for me. Mrs will need/want retail therapy. I am happy drinking cold beers (San Mig) and eating somewhere different every night.

Good chance we will probably head straight to Koh Samui any way. We were last there in 2013. First trip away without kids for us and Koh Samui is a great spot for older couples. Probably kiddie stuff there, but we weren't looking for that stuff.

Anyone with Hua Hin experience?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:23 pm

heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Cheers Heater31

I have seen this website & other similar ones.

My first trip to LOS was a golf trip, went to Pattaya. It is golf heaven in that part of the world. It was really easy, in that we booked our own accommodation & found bars that arrange golf days. As opposed to full on organised tours that want you to book accommodation AND golf with them.

Doing it the other way means you can be a bit more flexible. If you get smashed & are too hung over to play golf (it happens!) you just don't turn up that day.

So I am kind of hoping there a sports bars in Hua Hin that operate in a similar way as Pattaya... I have not been able to find any though.

Koh Samui I didn't bother with golf. Limited choices, and expensive - by Thai standards. That's why I am keen in part to check out Hua Hin.

Cheers
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:32 pm

http://www.golfhuahin.com/hua-hin-golf-courses.htm

Green fees include return transfers from your hotel and a caddy. Range from approx AUD$100.00 - $150.00.

Lots of bars to choose from including Buckley's Aussie Sports Bar.

http://www.huahinparadisecity.com/categ ... rshua-hin/
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Corona Man » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:53 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:http://www.golfhuahin.com/hua-hin-golf-courses.htm

Green fees include return transfers from your hotel and a caddy. Range from approx AUD$100.00 - $150.00.

Lots of bars to choose from including Buckley's Aussie Sports Bar.

http://www.huahinparadisecity.com/categ ... rshua-hin/

Great Work Pirate

Much respect Sir - :D

Hua Hin, is officially on the list for 2017....
Corona Man
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:32 pm

No worries at all. I am a fan of Thailand. Heading to Koh Samui in about 3 weeks 8)
PatowalongaPirate

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel