Cruises

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Cruises

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Booney wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Well my missus and I had a wonderful time on our cruise, really sad to be heading back home I'll definitely miss the cruise lifestyle. Drank lots of beer and cocktails, ate alot of amazing food, slept heaps, had lots of sex, relaxed in the sun so much that I turned into Lobster man lol and now I'm pealing like a snake, met some wonderful people and visited some beautiful places.

While my missus suffered a bit of motion sickness at the start of the trip I was lucky and didn't get any, we did use motion sickness tables which work so well and even prevented hangovers! Well at least they worked on the boat haha and we'll try them out when we have a night out at home.

Coming into Sydney it was very rocky and rough and we did start to feel it so we're kind of happy to be off the boat in that regard.

Choosing an inside cabin without a window proved a masterstroke as it was very dark in our cabin which was great for me as I slept like a baby and managed to sleep in til 12/12.30 so I'm definitely feeling refreshed. Got a bit of running and weights in to at the ships gym so I don't go home feeling unfit either.

All in all a great holiday! So devastating to now go back to reality :( But it's got to be done and luckily I go back to work Monday so I still have a bit of holiday time left. Really enjoyed all this time off with my missus it's been really special. Can't wait for our next holiday now which we've already started planning haha, going to take her to New Zealand, I haven't been there since our last family trip there in 2010 and I know mum is keen to go over soon and see her family.

Did you get back into Sydney last Sunday ( 12/10 )?

If so, my Dad and Step-Mum were on that cruise ship too.

Nah I got back on the 16/10, the morning of when I posted that. Soon as I got to Sydney airport I smashed the free Wi Fi.

And god damn is it shit being back at work today. :( So depressing.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Pag » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:06 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Well my missus and I had a wonderful time on our cruise, really sad to be heading back home I'll definitely miss the cruise lifestyle. Drank lots of beer and cocktails, ate alot of amazing food, slept heaps, had lots of sex, relaxed in the sun so much that I turned into Lobster man lol and now I'm pealing like a snake, met some wonderful people and visited some beautiful places.

While my missus suffered a bit of motion sickness at the start of the trip I was lucky and didn't get any, we did use motion sickness tables which work so well and even prevented hangovers! Well at least they worked on the boat haha and we'll try them out when we have a night out at home.

Coming into Sydney it was very rocky and rough and we did start to feel it so we're kind of happy to be off the boat in that regard.

Choosing an inside cabin without a window proved a masterstroke as it was very dark in our cabin which was great for me as I slept like a baby and managed to sleep in til 12/12.30 so I'm definitely feeling refreshed. Got a bit of running and weights in to at the ships gym so I don't go home feeling unfit either.

All in all a great holiday! So devastating to now go back to reality :( But it's got to be done and luckily I go back to work Monday so I still have a bit of holiday time left. Really enjoyed all this time off with my missus it's been really special. Can't wait for our next holiday now which we've already started planning haha, going to take her to New Zealand, I haven't been there since our last family trip there in 2010 and I know mum is keen to go over soon and see her family.

Mate you missed the buffet breakfast?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Pag wrote:

Mate you missed the buffet breakfast?

Late risers breakfast finished at 12 so we just scrapped in there ;) That was handy, still got my precious Hash Browns after a nice sleep in. Only slept in that late three times and just got lunch while we managed to wake up at 10/11 on the other three sea days and got in for the late risers breakfast.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Sleep is for the weak on cruises!!!

What islands you go too?
Glad you had a great trip. but there was no need to lie about getting laid mate...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby DOC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 pm

To be fair, he never said who he got laid by or with.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 pm

DOC wrote:To be fair, he never said who he got laid by or with.

Anyone seen that Cuba Gooding Jnr movie about a cruise ship?

I know TDK, and I automatically assumed it would be quite similar ;)
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:55 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Sleep is for the weak on cruises!!!

What islands you go too?
Glad you had a great trip. but there was no need to lie about getting laid mate...

Meh.

Went to Noumea, Mystery Island and Pt Vila. Was ment to go Marè but their were reports of someone seeing a flare going off in the open water on our second night so the ship had to turn and circle around the area to check if there was anyone out there. Later on we found out it was just a shooting star or something like that so we ended up running late and missing Marè which we were ment to get to on our third day. Didn't miss anything though there apparently so I'm not too annoyed we didn't go there.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 am

The Dark Knight wrote:

What islands you go too?

Meh.

Went to Noumea, Mystery Island and Pt Vila. Was ment to go Marè but their were reports of someone seeing a flare going off in the open water on our second night so the ship had to turn and circle around the area to check if there was anyone out there. Later on we found out it was just a shooting star or something like that so we ended up running late and missing Marè which we were ment to get to on our third day. Didn't miss anything though there apparently so I'm not too annoyed we didn't go there.

Pt Vila is beautiful, noumea isnt to bad. i've enjoyed myself everytime i went. One of the best time on the ship is when you have a party on the deck as you leave the island.
I wish my wife wouldn't get sea sick at the drop of a hat, cause i'd love to go again... Love cruises.

I was single when i went with my brother and his good mate, soooo if i was with the missus it would have been very different :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:56 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

What islands you go too?

Meh.

Pt Vila is beautiful, noumea isnt to bad. i've enjoyed myself everytime i went. One of the best time on the ship is when you have a party on the deck as you leave the island.
I wish my wife wouldn't get sea sick at the drop of a hat, cause i'd love to go again... Love cruises.

I was single when i went with my brother and his good mate, soooo if i was with the missus it would have been very different :lol:

Mystery Island was our favourite by far. Would definitely do another cruise in a different part of the world now.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:23 am

This story may make some think twice about cruises at the moment...
https://au.totaltravel.yahoo.com/news-o ... nightmare/
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby GWW » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:55 am

Just got home from a 12 day cruise around NZ with Sun Princess.

Visited Dunedin, Akaroa, Christchurch, Napier, Wellington, Tauranga, Auckland, Bay of Islands.

Was awesome.

Wellington was the nicest town/city I've ever visited anywhere. Admittedly if weather wasn't as nice as it was, I may have had an alternative view of this city known for its wind.

Entertainment and hospitality aboard ship were very good.

Cruises are a great way to see NZ!
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Pag » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:57 am

GWW wrote:Just got home from a 12 day cruise around NZ with Sun Princess.

Visited Dunedin, Akaroa, Christchurch, Napier, Wellington, Tauranga, Auckland, Bay of Islands.

Was awesome.

Wellington was the nicest town/city I've ever visited anywhere. Admittedly if weather wasn't as nice as it was, I may have had an alternative view of this city known for its wind.

Entertainment and hospitality aboard ship were very good.

Cruises are a great way to see NZ!

Agree with all of this mate, especially Wellington. Christchurch was an amazing place too, genuinely looked like a warzone still after the earthquakes but the spots of colour and innovation gave it some hope.
Pag
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:05 am

Soooooo, did you "discover" each other? @Pag and @GWW ;) ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby GWW » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:47 am

Unfortunately no, FC, not knowingly anyway as Pag didn't see my PM until after the cruise.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Pag » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:17 pm

Yep was my bad.

I've been on P&O and MSC before Princess this trip, very different types of cruise lines.
Pag
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:51 pm

Having taken 3 cruises with Celebrity and 2 with Royal Caribbean over the past two years, am about to give Princess a go. Doing a 14 night cruise around Japan, Korsakov in Russia and Busan in South Korea in July.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby am Bays » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:15 am

Just came back from a seven day cruise to New Caledonia with Carnival.

We'll probably go on a cruise again but not with Carnival.

Had a nasty experience, on day 1 we checked out room fridges and they were half empty, and with items missing. Next day the Tooheys New cans (cans??? f***ing who drinks that sh!t let alone when it is cans) are re-stocked and we start getting charged for drinks we haven't had.

We get the kids fridge locked (which was half full) and they tried to charge us for the beers and softies (the kids have supposedly drunk) not replaced prior to us boarding. On day one we paid $40 for each kid to have unlimited softies and drinks all cruise - so why are they going to drink softies we have to pay for when we've paid already???

Get F***ed you picks when you get charged on average $8 a beer, you not going to pay for the beers you don't drink.

Put a real dampner on our holiday
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:46 am

am Bays wrote:Just came back from a seven day cruise to New Caledonia with Carnival.

We'll probably go on a cruise again but not with Carnival.

Had a nasty experience, on day 1 we checked out room fridges and they were half empty, and with items missing. Next day the Tooheys New cans (cans??? f***ing who drinks that sh!t let alone when it is cans) are re-stocked and we start getting charged for drinks we haven't had.

We get the kids fridge locked (which was half full) and they tried to charge us for the beers and softies (the kids have supposedly drunk) not replaced prior to us boarding. On day one we paid $40 for each kid to have unlimited softies and drinks all cruise - so why are they going to drink softies we have to pay for when we've paid already???

Get F***ed you picks when you get charged on average $8 a beer, you not going to pay for the beers you don't drink.

Put a real dampner on our holiday

@am Bays

Was this your first cruise mate?

If so :

Motion sickness an issue at all?
Did you get bored at all?
Would you recommend it to a cruise virgin, or, would you suggest a land based trip away?

Mrs Boon has been pumping me* for about 5 years about going on a cruise, I've been reluctant to do so, so would like the view of a novice not a seasoned cruiser.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:18 pm

You should definitely do a cruise Booney, they make for great family holidays. I would fully recommend going with Carnival even though am Bays had a bad experience, they were great and were the same for people who have cruised with Carnival. My mum raved about Princess Cruises aswell.

If you think motion/sea sickness is going to be a problem then travel sickness tablets should do the trick, they are a god send.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Booney wrote:@am Bays

Was this your first cruise mate?

If so :

Motion sickness an issue at all?
Did you get bored at all?
Would you recommend it to a cruise virgin, or, would you suggest a land based trip away?

Mrs Boon has been pumping me* for about 5 years about going on a cruise, I've been reluctant to do so, so would like the view of a novice not a seasoned cruiser.

FWIW

My advice is do it - you're a smart man so I'm sure you'll acquiesce to your wife's pumping* in a way so you can "Let me be Pacific I wanna be down in your South Seas But I got this notion that the motion of your ocean means "Small Craft Advisory"...." whilst on the cruise

Motion sickness was a small issue the missus had Kwells (pills) that took the edge of it for her. If we go on a cruise again we will try to get a cabin mid-ship as there is less displacement in the rocking of the ship in the middle compared to fore (front) and aft (abck) of the boat. However our weather was pretty good apart from one night where we got the very edge of the storms that effected SE Qld last Wed nite. Apparently the cruise the week before wasn't good.

Boredom wasn't a real issue there was generally things to do but I made sure I took a book for some light reading - good for when we comandered a nook of couches on the upper decks so the missus and I could lounge whilst the kids swam. There were a couple of good comedians on our boat for the trip back so they were good and we saw a couple of shows. The had daily chipping, putting and sports quizzes and like the Bays, I kept coming second (NTTAWWT in certain situations...). teh missus was kept occupied with Bingo and TV/Film quizzes.

The food was OK but in the a la carte restuarant they try to push you through in the early dinner setting and at breakfast. On the top decks they had 24 hr pizzas, along with a burger joint and BBQ at lunch and dinner.... Good quick easy man food!

To compensate for the food I smashed the gym twice a day.

Booze was pub prices and the mixed drinks ($4) and cocktails ($10) were cheap but they used the old style 15 and 30 ml metal measures so everydrink was under strength (barely half the usual strength - not that it effected me as I stuck to the beers) and full of ice.

The best thing about Carnival was their upstairs restuarant which you had to pay for, Sweat Jesus the 500 g spice rubbed scotch fillet I had on the first night was sensational. $40 for a three course meal was well worth it along with the surf and turf I had on the 2nd last night!!

We'll cruise again, but on a more reputable line (Cunard) once the kids hae finished school. Land trips to Sydney Melb appeal to us more but the convenience of not having to cook and clean for seven days was a good thing.

My advice is do a small cruise to start off with, no more than seven days. The ocean travel was a bit tedius but the shore days were good - if not for the fact that most of the other plebs p!ssed off, so we had more of the boat to ourselves once we got back from shore before lunch.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel