Your First Trip

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Your First Trip

Postby hearts on fire » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:34 am

Just interested to hear where everyone went on there first "big" trip away without there parents.

Last few weeks been starting to look around at some places, but haven't got to far yet.

Where would be an ideal first holiday for an 19/20 year old, looking at going around end 2012/2013.
~ R.I.P John McCarthy, 19-11-1989 - 9-9-2012 ~
hearts on fire
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Re: Your First Trip

Postby Psyber » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:32 am

Age 17, with my older sister, her car and her money and me as relief driver, along the Ocean Rd to Warnambool and back via an inland route.

After that University and lack of money pinned me down until my first wife and I drove to Canberra on our honeymoon. I was 23.
Then I graduated in Medicine and had money but no time to go away for more than a few days until I was about 48 and went to Borneo!
The Borneo trip was the first one I did without family or a spouse with me.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby redandblack » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:17 pm

If you're driving, anywhere in Australia, because it's the excitement of the trip more than the destination to me.

My first big, big trip was for ten months, a long time ago. Five and a half weeks on a Russian ship (insert obligatory political jokes here ;) ) around Cape Horn, Montevideo and Rio to England. A month or two towing a caravan around the UK, three months hitchhiking and tenting from Norway and Sweden to Greece and all places in between and then a month or so on another Russian ship back through Suez.

That gave me the travel bug and it's been a different trip almost every year since then.

Best trips in Australia? Anywhere, but Tassie and the Vic mountains and SE coast are really nice.

It really depends on what you want from a holiday.

Nearby? New Zealand is a great holiday. A cruise, or Hawaii if you go further.
redandblack

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 am

went on a 10 night cruise with my bro and his good mate.. awesome trip...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby piccachu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:26 am

im 21 and went on my real holiday (first time over sees) in october to Thailand for 11 days had an absolute ball and doesnt hit the bank account like europe and other places around the world, great place for a first holiday if your aroud my age
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 pm

First real trip away was just 3 months ago for 6 weeks. 18 day contiki and 3 weeks around Europe myself. Nfld your age I would recommend a contiki, just a big piss up meet awesome people and yeh Europe ain't bad either! I was 22 at the start of it and had my bday in Switzerland. Trip I'll never forget
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Pag » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:14 am

Did a few days on the Gold Coast followed by a 10-day cruise through New Caledonia and Vanuatu when I was 21. Can't recommend crusing highly enough for people on their first holiday, everything is taken care of for you.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Dirko » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:22 pm

My first trip wasn't a massive trip, but it was OK, happened around Year 9, when I stoked up the pipe behind the Wood Work building at school....
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:25 pm

23, to the US. I'd never travelled before and only flown once previously. I got asked about 10 weeks before we were due to fly when a mates' mate decided not to go.

Best trip ever.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby hearts on fire » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Europe and US are probably at the top of my list to go, but US putting me off at the minute cause of there legal age of 21 so won't be able to do much.

Have had a few mates go over to Thailand and Bali and they have said its awesome there, but yeah just getting a few ideas together at the minute, few interesting stories so far.... Reading most of the posts so far, most have been 21 on there first trip, which is probably an ideal age and won't have a factor in the US.

I've been to Gold Coast and Melbourne before, but under parent supervision so keen on re-visiting them too, but all by myself cause i big boy now :D
~ R.I.P John McCarthy, 19-11-1989 - 9-9-2012 ~
hearts on fire
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Board index   General Talk  Travel