Canada

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Canada

Postby BJ Ernest » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:07 am

I thought I'd drop in and see whether anyone has been to Canada before.

My partner and I along with some friends are doing a snow season at Big White Mountain (near Kelowna) starting late October through to mid April. We'll be doing some travel from Vancouver back to LA before returning back to Australia June 2nd.

Has anyone been there and has any suggestions on places to go etc? Either in Canada or on our journey from Vancouver to LA. We are obviously doing the big ones on the trek down (Seattle, San Fran, Vegas, LA etc) but are there any hidden gems amongst these?
Any quirks i need to know about in regards to Visas (Canadian or American)?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Re: Canada

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:21 am

G'day mate.

I lived in Canada for 7 months last year. I lived in Banff, Alberta, but had a few mates that had lived/ski'd Big White and said it was awesome over there.

RE Canadian Visa - are you 30 or under? If so, the working holiday visa is easy as to get and I had no problems at all getting in to the country. The US is a bastard, but it's the same for everyone. You need to register for the visa waiver program online.

On the travel bit, I'd recommend the following:

Got to Banff. It's a beautiful town and if you get a powder day on Sunshine, it'll be one of the best days skiing you'll ever have. The powder there is super dry, so it holds up all day.

I didn't get there, but EVERYONE I spoke to raved about Revelstoke. It's got the biggest top to bottom lift in North America and when it snows, it dumps. While the snow's generally wetter, if you get there after a dump, you'll be in heaven.

I really liked the Schushwap Lakes in BC. I went through in June and it was a beautiful warm few days, but if you're leaving Canada in April, it might be a bit chilly. Still spectacular tjhough.

Vancouver is cool. Stanley Park is great.

San Fran is a must. We loved it.

Vegas was OK, but I was there was a pregnant missus who hates gambling. So if you are going with mates, you'll tear the place appart. Can I come? LOL

While in Vegas, I'd highly recommend doing a trip out to the Grand Canyon. It's not to be missed.

On my way home, I spent a month in Hawaii, taking in Oahu, Maui and the Big Island. I'd highly recommend all three and if you're into snorkelling, spend plenty of time on Maui's Lee side. The big Island is great too with an active volcano and the spot where Captain Cook was killed and eaten.

Anyway, all I can say is YOU LUCKY BASTARD! Wish I was doing it again!

P< me if you want any specific info.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Canada

Postby redandblack » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:53 am

BJE, how are you getting from Canada to LA?

If by car, there are so many sensational places to visit. I've driven a fair part of the way, including Banff to Portland, the Cascade Mountains in Washington State and a lot of Idaho, Wyoming and surrounding states.

I agree with da. Canada is great. Banff and surrounds are really good.

If you have time near Vegas, Bryce Canyon is an absolute must see.
redandblack

Board index   General Talk  Travel