Vale Arthur Beetson

Any other sports

Vale Arthur Beetson

Postby GCC » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:11 am

Rugby League legend Arthur Beetson passed away this morning on the Gold Coast.

Inaugural captain of the Queensland State of Origin side and also The first Indigenous player to be named captain of any Australian national sporting team.

Vale Big Artie

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6211035966
GCC

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Re: Vale Arthur Beetson

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:01 pm

RIP Big Artie.
My Dad will be devestated, one of his nicknames is Big Artie because he looks like Arthur Beetson.
Will never forget footage of SoO1 with Big Artie.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 pm

A sad day for me. Big Artie was my first football hero. Growing up in Sydney I was a big Easts fan and Artie was my favourite player. No matter how hard they tried to hit him he could always get that offload away. He was also pretty quick in those days for his size as well. Artie will go down as one of the finest players in League and has the distinction of being the first Indigenous Australian to captain his country in any code.

R.I.P. Big Artie. :(

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Dirko » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:26 am

I'm a massive SOO fan, and from what I've read and seen Beetson was a integral part of the start up. Loved reading about the stories when he finally got a chance to ditch the shitty looking NSW jumper, and pull on the Queensland jumper for the first time, then go out and beat the living shit out of everything in sky blue 8)

RIP Big fella!
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:05 am

As described in a email that went around my work today Big Artie also did a lot of work for indigenous community. Since 2005 he'd worked as an Indigenous Ambasasador for the Dept of Human Services attending dozens of community events, expos and forums, talking face to face with the community about government services offered, employment opportunities and promoting a healthy and active lifestyle. He also provided invaluable input about ways service delivery could be improved and tailored to better suit the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Everywhere he went, from the major cities to remote communities, Artie was treated like a rock star. What endeared people to him was his immediate and genuine warmth and the care he showed for all people, whether friends or strangers.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Goat Herder » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 pm

RIP Arthur Beetson. :(

Larger than life man & personality of the game, particularly with the establishment of the Qld vs NSW SoO passion. The big man with the big heart will be sorely missed. :(
Goat Herder
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports