Lawn Bowls.....

Any other sports

Re: Lawn Bowls.....

Postby A Mum » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:07 am

hahaha - yep 'country carnival' they come from all over by the looks !
I haven't heard of those places either.

O:)
You get what you give....
A Mum
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Thiele » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:28 pm

A Mum wrote:'A Dad' played at Edwardstown - they won 2 of their games, but not the third so didn't get through.

Hope A Dad enjoyed his lunch at the Edwardstown bowling club because where i work we are supplying them with lunch everyday for them
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Postby A Mum » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Thiele wrote:
A Mum wrote:'A Dad' played at Edwardstown - they won 2 of their games, but not the third so didn't get through.

Hope A Dad enjoyed his lunch at the Edwardstown bowling club because where i work we are supplying them with lunch everyday for them

Ahh very good :D
I'm sure he did Thiele O:)
A Mum
Coach

Postby Gingernuts » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:23 am

So -

Thrashed a team from Millicent in the first round yesterday, but then after lunch came up against what was quite obviously an 'all star' team from various clubs hand picked to win the comp.

3 of the 4 are apparently Round Robin skippers. Despite this we still only went down 9-14, and it was one of those games where we just didn't have any luck at all unfortunately. Found the smallest gaps, didn't get the wicks they were etc.

Anyway was a good day and a great experience. Will be fronting up to do it again next year. :D
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby A Mum » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:25 am

Well done anyway GN.

Sounds like you had a great time O:)

There's always a 'few' of those teams getting around ....lol
A Mum
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:07 pm

I read a link on here about favourite toys and probably should mention my lawn bowls! I love 'em. Have two sets - Drakes Pride Extra heavy special which are useful on windy days and Taylors Vector VS heavy which are very narrow and very good to draw into a crowded head or for the upshot but it must be in calm conditions.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Gingernuts » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:I read a link on here about favourite toys and probably should mention my lawn bowls! I love 'em. Have two sets - Drakes Pride Extra heavy special which are useful on windy days and Taylors Vector VS heavy which are very narrow and very good to draw into a crowded head or for the upshot but it must be in calm conditions.

Interested to hear you have 2 weapons of choice that you change depending on the conditions.

I use Dreamlines, but have considered switching back to my old Classic 2's when the conditions are tough.

Do you find it difficult to switch between the two SP?
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:53 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:I read a link on here about favourite toys and probably should mention my lawn bowls! I love 'em. Have two sets - Drakes Pride Extra heavy special which are useful on windy days and Taylors Vector VS heavy which are very narrow and very good to draw into a crowded head or for the upshot but it must be in calm conditions.

Interested to hear you have 2 weapons of choice that you change depending on the conditions.

I use Dreamlines, but have considered switching back to my old Classic 2's when the conditions are tough.

Do you find it difficult to switch between the two SP?

Oh not really. Drakes need a line out beyond the next rink marker on a fast green such as Laura or Peterborough. The Taylors are a mere few inches either side of the orange peg. They are very deadly once you pick the line and weight.
Several blokes up here use the Dreamlines and love 'em.
I'm not into coloured bowls though. Both sets in my bag are black
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby A Mum » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Sky Pilot - welcome to the bowls thread !! :D

Is great having another 'member' who can talk bowls with us...lol :D
A Mum
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:51 pm

no worries A Mum. I love the game but have a bad habit of falling foul of club selectors and assorted wankers on occasion.
One day we should try and put an SA Footy rink into a tournament down there in the burbs or up here in the bush
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Gingernuts » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:27 am

Sky Pilot wrote:no worries A Mum. I love the game but have a bad habit of falling foul of club selectors and assorted wankers on occasion.
One day we should try and put an SA Footy rink into a tournament down there in the burbs or up here in the bush

I'd be in on that SP!
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby A Mum » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 pm

‎2011 Australian Open - U18 singles held tonight in Darebin/Victoria-
Our SA Reps for this are Breeanna Dickson, Ben Johnson, Danielle Fuss and Nathan Pedersen.

Hope they go well !!

Sporting pulse for results if any of you guys are interested

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info. ... -0&a=ROUND

A Mum
Coach

Postby mickey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 pm

You know you take your lawn bowls too seriously when:

A northern Tasmanian lawn bowler has been suspended for headbutting another player.

Ulverstone Bowls Club player Wayne Polden was found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute by headbutting Penguin's Ricky Richardson.

The North West Tasmania Bowls Association on Thursday suspended Mr Polden for two weeks, while Mr Richardson was reprimanded for abusing an umpire, after allegedly calling him a "cheat".

NWTBA president David Langmaid said the incident last Saturday was the first case of headbutting he had come across in 20 years in the sport.

"The association is very disappointed in the actions of both players. We don't want to see this sort of situation arise again," Mr Langmaid told the Burnie Advocate.
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Gingernuts » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:20 am

mickey wrote:You know you take your lawn bowls too seriously when:

A northern Tasmanian lawn bowler has been suspended for headbutting another player.

Ulverstone Bowls Club player Wayne Polden was found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute by headbutting Penguin's Ricky Richardson.

The North West Tasmania Bowls Association on Thursday suspended Mr Polden for two weeks, while Mr Richardson was reprimanded for abusing an umpire, after allegedly calling him a "cheat".

NWTBA president David Langmaid said the incident last Saturday was the first case of headbutting he had come across in 20 years in the sport.

"The association is very disappointed in the actions of both players. We don't want to see this sort of situation arise again," Mr Langmaid told the Burnie Advocate.

Ha! Just like crackerjack - wonder if he chalked the lump. :lol:

In all seriousness I have seen one old fella (a team mate!) put the dukes up ready for a fistycuff one day. It didn't eventuate but watching an old bloke dancing around like Rocky was highly amusing. :lol:
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:59 pm

I think A MUM would be the sort of spectator to get involved in fistycuffs with players of refs ;)
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11915 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby steiger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:41 am

Got back Fri night from a fortnight in Adelaide.
Country Carnival was interesting to say the least. Did no good this year although unlucky enough in the pairs when my partner did his back in getting out of the car and had to bowl from the hip. To his credit by the 3 rd sectional game he was getting used to the new style but losing to the eventual sectional winner in the 2nd game cost us. Didn;t give up trying and needing 5 to win on the last end in that game I killed the end 5 times before the 6th replay I had a trail shot on to get the necessary 5 and although I got the target I missed getting it in the exact spot by a mil.

Actually played 4's at Edwardstown too A Mum (as well as singles) and loved the food. Bangers and Mash on Tuesday and Shepherds Pie on Tuesday - Yum - Well done Thiele

Round Robin was fun and very competitve last week. My rink won 4 and lost 3 so not too bad and same as last year. Had an absolute shocker in the am game on Thursday at Brighton but pretty happy with my form for most of the other 6 games.

Looking fwd to next year already
steiger
League - Best 21

Postby A Mum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Glad you had a good week Steiger O:)

Both my sons were at Round Robin last week also.
They enjoyed themselves, but Fleurieu didn't do as good as the last couple of years - so that was disapointing.
I think the youngest son played a bit better than the eldest one - however eldest was working each morning before going out there to play - so very draining.
Unfortunately I didn't get there this year to take any photos.
What a funny week weather was also - a bit iffy - if not humid/hot - then Friday pouring with rain!!

Pretty sure they enjoyed their 'get together' afterwards - as they all went straight from Hawthorn and 'out for tea' and didn't get home until 9pm Friday night..lol. :lol:

A Mum
Coach

Postby A Mum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:27 pm

GN - how did you go in the champion of champion 4s on Sunday?

Our boys ended up losing the pairs - going down by a few shots :(

They bowled pretty good - but you've just got to love the oppositions bowls - a mile off target, clip this bowl, knock onto that bowl, go sideways - oh look at that - we've got shot :shock: :lol:

- it's okay when that happens once but it happened about 4 times !!!

stupid bowls :lol:
A Mum
Coach

Postby Gingernuts » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:29 pm

A Mum wrote:GN - how did you go in the champion of champion 4s on Sunday?

Our boys ended up losing the pairs - going down by a few shots :(

They bowled pretty good - but you've just got to love the oppositions bowls - a mile off target, clip this bowl, knock onto that bowl, go sideways - oh look at that - we've got shot :shock: :lol:

- it's okay when that happens once but it happened about 4 times !!!

stupid bowls :lol:

We absolutely belted the team from Strath.

The got 1 shot on the first end, and 1 shot on the 10th end, and we go 21 shots in-between.

Yep, we beat them 21-2 after 10 ends, didn't even bother playing the last two. :lol:

Now the finals are on our home deck this coming Sunday, I think we've got a very good chance. :D
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby A Mum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:31 pm

That's great !!!! :D :D

Goodluck - keep it going O:)
A Mum
Coach