Tour Down Under

Any other sports

Re: Tour Down Under

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Just saw the female green edge team having coffee in Hahndorf (some nice athletes there :shock: ) and some other male team in black, blue and white (not sky) riding thru Balhannah
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Postby Sorry Dude » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:Just saw the female green edge team having coffee in Hahndorf (some nice athletes there :shock: ) and some other male team in black, blue and white (not sky) riding thru Balhannah

May have been Garmin-Barracuda (USA Team).
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Tour Down Under

Postby RustyCage » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 pm

When is the first stage in the city?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby pig_skin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:50 pm

pafc1870 wrote:When is the first stage in the city?

downunder classic is this sunday night from 6pm i think.. around east tce/parklands etc. i reckon there is a womens race first too..

rode up the old freeway at the same time as the saxo bank team.... i hooked onto the back of them just after devils elbow.. and managed to stay with them till just after eagle on the hill then i slowly slipped back.. they make it look so easy...

saw a few of the other teams coming down on the way up.. its cool being out there with the pro teams kicking around.
pig_skin
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby OnSong » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:01 pm

pig_skin wrote:

downunder classic is this sunday night from 6pm i think.. around east tce/parklands etc. i reckon there is a womens race first too..

rode up the old freeway at the same time as the saxo bank team.... i hooked onto the back of them just after devils elbow.. and managed to stay with them till just after eagle on the hill then i slowly slipped back.. they make it look so easy...

saw a few of the other teams coming down on the way up.. its cool being out there with the pro teams kicking around.

Is it standard for an unknown to hook on to a random peleton which happens to pass by? :lol:

It's almost parasitical!
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby Sorry Dude » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:28 pm

OnSong wrote:
pig_skin wrote:

Is it standard for an unknown to hook on to a random peleton which happens to pass by? :lol:

It's almost parasitical!

If you go past the tour village during the day (in the lead up) there will be 5 or 6 guys and/ or girls waiting to go for a ride with the teams.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Postby mickey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:41 pm

They are just like everyone else out for a training ride. Just faster, stronger and a lot better at it...

They don't mind, just don't make any of them crash!
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby pig_skin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:49 pm

OnSong wrote:
pig_skin wrote:

It's almost parasitical!

i wasnt so much trying to ride with them, just pushing myself a bit harder to see if i could keep up for a bit...

happens quite alot... as long as you know how to ride in a bunch most riders will be ok with it...
ill hook onto many riders during my rides... a group/a single rider/a chick/an old bloke... as long as you are doing your fair share of the work in the group i consider it fine... i also have many people jump in with my rides, doesnt bother me.. working together you go quicker and you get to meet new riders etc, and can challenge yourself if the other riders are stronger....
pig_skin
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sorry Dude » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Sorry Dude wrote:They can pick one of the other 30 riders they have on contracts now. Hopefully they put Luke Durbridge in. Great ride for Team UniSA last year and will be very good for Gerrans with his attack. He could also have a shot at taking out the sprinters classification.

Stoked to see that Turbo Durbo got the ride with Green Edge. ;)
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Postby brod » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Sorry Dude wrote:
Sorry Dude wrote:They can pick one of the other 30 riders they have on contracts now. Hopefully they put Luke Durbridge in. Great ride for Team UniSA last year and will be very good for Gerrans with his attack. He could also have a shot at taking out the sprinters classification.

Stoked to see that Turbo Durbo got the ride with Green Edge. ;)

Logical choice with such good recent form
brod
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Good to see the GreenEdge boys (and girls) out riding through Chain of Ponds this morning whilst RLC was on
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Tour Down Under

Postby Turbo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Alaska wrote:Sorry to be the sour pus, but I hate it, I happen to live on top of a road in the Hills they all use for training each day. Some days I cannot get out, or get in my drive for 10 minutes not one would stop their drive to the top of the mountain to let me in. :shock:

Why don't they just race, why do they have to find the hardest road to practice on before and after? :?

I then have to follow them 5 abreast for 5 km to get to the freeway.
I am so glad they do not let them on the freeway.
By the end of week two I am tempted to take out the truck and just drive!

Dutchy I can just cope with you on our skinny roads. ;)

I don't hate it but am simply not interested.
Obviously the riders are great athletes and I can appreciate that but it's all a bit of a yawn.
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby OnSong » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:53 am

pig_skin wrote:
OnSong wrote:
pig_skin wrote:

It's almost parasitical!

i wasnt so much trying to ride with them, just pushing myself a bit harder to see if i could keep up for a bit...

happens quite alot... as long as you know how to ride in a bunch most riders will be ok with it...
ill hook onto many riders during my rides... a group/a single rider/a chick/an old bloke... as long as you are doing your fair share of the work in the group i consider it fine... i also have many people jump in with my rides, doesnt bother me.. working together you go quicker and you get to meet new riders etc, and can challenge yourself if the other riders are stronger....

Yeah, I understand it happens a lot but it just seems funny.

Like, if I'm going for a run and someone else happens to tack on it would be weird, same with swimming, golfing, anything else really.

But for cyclists, it's normal? Lol.
OnSong
Coach

Postby mickey » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:41 pm

You've never joined another person or group on the golf course??
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby OnSong » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 pm

mickey wrote:You've never joined another person or group on the golf course??

I've never seen some people I didn't know playing golf and randomly joined into their round, no.
I would say not many people have. Maybe it's just a cyclist thing?? :lol:
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:56 am

Thoughts?

Stage 1 Winner:

Greipel Andre 1.95
Any Riders Not Quoted 5.00
Goss Matt 7.00
Boasson Hagen Edvald 10.00
Petacchi Alessandro 10.00
Haussler Heinrich 15.00
Sutton Chris 15.00
Rojas Jose Joaquin 17.00
Renshaw Mark 19.00
Freire Oscar 29.00
Matthews Michael 29.00
Howard Leigh 41.00
McEwen Robbie 41.00
Feillu Romain 51.00
Henderson Greg 51.00
Ciolek Gerald 67.00
Valverde Alejandro 101.00
Brown Graeme 126.00
Sabatini Fabio 126.00
Steegmans Gert 126.00
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:56 pm

The results of the first Jayco Sprint the first time bonuses and points have been awarded in the 2012 SANTOS Tour Down Under. Martin Kohler (SUI) - BMC Racing Team picks up three bonus secs and five points. Rohan Dennis (AUS - SA) - UniSA Australia picks up two secs and three points. Marcello Pavarin (ITA) - Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team picks up one sec and two points.

The results for the first Jayco Sprint in Kapunda (74.7km). Martin Kohler (SUI) - BMC Racing Team Rohan Dennis (AUS - SA) - UniSA Australia Marcello Pavarin (ITA) - Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team Eduard Vorganov (RUS) - Katusha Team was relegated to 4th.
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Unofficially, Marcello Pavarin (ITA) - Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team took the three points on offer at the first SKODA KOM at Taylors Run (84.2km) ahead of Martin Kohler (SUI) - BMC Racing Team and Eduard Vorganov (RUS) - Katusha Team.
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Word from the course is that the gap is coming down with GreenEDGE doing a lot of work at the front. Last unofficial check on the gap was approximately eight minutes.
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 pm

last unofficial time check was approximately 5:30.
OnSong
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports