A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Re: 2012 Le Tour De France

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:58 am

Cadel cracks again :( :(
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 am

Cadel just never got going this year. We knew his preparation was poor but there's always the hope the first 2 weeks of the tour turns it all around, but not to be this year and I doubt we'll see him as a serious contender next year.

Wiggins certainly hasn't looked unbreakable this year but his team has been magnificent in the climbs. Shame Wiggins looks like he'll win because he's surely the most boring winner we've had for years. No attacks and doesn't even chase breaks himself, he lets his team do that. Nibali gave it a go but Froome did the job.

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Penalties are huge? Schleck might only get a reprimand.

Bet you if his B sample comes back positive he gets more than that.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:22 am

Wiggins has done to Evans what Evans needed to do to him today, take 5 mins off him.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:22 am

Can't fault Team Sky's preparation ... barring a miracle, Wiggins is home.

What a pesky and gutsy little bastard Voeckler is ... deserves the stage win.
dedja
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:25 am

dedja wrote:Can't fault Team Sky's preparation ... barring a miracle, Wiggins is home.

Christ he rides ugly, but he's effective.
am Bays
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:29 am

dedja wrote:Can't fault Team Sky's preparation ... barring a miracle, Wiggins is home.

Full professional job by Sky. Not many more to go but gee it's hard to see Wiggins losing the tour. Rogers could have won the tour a few years ago bar a crash while Froome and Porte would be #1 riders for several other teams and might both be winners one day. With those guys around Wiggins' job was that much easier.

Sensational win today by Voeckler. There's one bloke who isn't boring! Takes the lead in the KOM as well, makes it 5 stages for France. No major overall contender yet but the wrist slashing can stop, French cycling isn't so bad.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 am

Is Cadel not using something he used last year!!!!

The question will be asked ;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby scoob » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:21 am

Grahaml wrote:Cadel just never got going this year. We knew his preparation was poor but there's always the hope the first 2 weeks of the tour turns it all around, but not to be this year and I doubt we'll see him as a serious contender next year.

Wiggins certainly hasn't looked unbreakable this year but his team has been magnificent in the climbs. Shame Wiggins looks like he'll win because he's surely the most boring winner we've had for years. No attacks and doesn't even chase breaks himself, he lets his team do that. Nibali gave it a go but Froome did the job.

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Penalties are huge? Schleck might only get a reprimand.

Bet you if his B sample comes back positive he gets more than that.

Can you please explain why Wiggins should be attacking when he holds a pretty decent lead, and a massive advantage in the ITT? In my view he has no need to attack and potential burn himself up... to be honest I think he has an almost perfect race and has looked pretty darn unbreakable. To label him boring is not exactly giving him the credit he deserves.
I dont see a great deal of difference between his win this year and Cadels last year, I don't seem to remember Cadel attacking a great deal and if he did attack it was because he was behind Andy Schlek in the overall - I think maybe Wiggins and the sky team has been a bit more dominant than cadel and BMC last year.
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:28 am

Is there a thought that in this Tour De France there is to much emphasis on Time Trials.

My mate is abit of a cycling guru and he seems to think that because there has been so many km's of time trial it has meant the race will be alot more defensive especially from a rider like Wiggins who can win it based on being 5-10 mins better over the time trial stages.
whufc
Coach

Postby Swamp Donkey » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 am

Grahaml wrote:Shame Wiggins looks like he'll win because he's surely the most boring winner we've had for years. No attacks and doesn't even chase breaks himself, he lets his team do that.

Ummm isn't that the whole point of the race.. :? :? Sky have raced perfectly. Its not up to Wiggins to chase its up to his team.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:33 pm

whufc wrote:Is Cadel not using something he used last year!!!!

Nah the question to ask is, would Cadel have won last year if Wiggins didn't crash in stage nine? Wiggins came into last years TDF with the same form as this year - winning the Criterium de Dephaunie (Evans came 2nd to him, this year he was 3rd).
am Bays
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:38 pm

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:Is Cadel not using something he used last year!!!!

Nah the question to ask is, would Cadel have won last year if Wiggins didn't crash in stage nine? Wiggins came into last years TDF with the same form as this year - winning the Criterium de Dephaunie (Evans came 2nd to him, this year he was 3rd).

Throw in the fact the Sky have assembled one of the best teams for climbing in recent memory.

Froom, Rogers, Porte all quality climbers who would easily be other teams GC rider.
whufc
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Big difference between Evans last year and Wiggins this year is Cadel chased down Andy Schleck from the front, not from the wheel of a teammate. It doesn't make Wiggins less of a winner but it' not been so exciting a race. Sorry if you don't like the fact i think he's been boring but i like to see the winner taking risks or at least chasing threats down himself.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby scoob » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Grahaml wrote:Big difference between Evans last year and Wiggins this year is Cadel chased down Andy Schleck from the front, not from the wheel of a teammate. It doesn't make Wiggins less of a winner but it' not been so exciting a race. Sorry if you don't like the fact i think he's been boring but i like to see the winner taking risks or at least chasing threats down himself.

Because Wiggins and team sky have been much, much more dominant.

Wiggins has hardly had to chase any threats down. Its up to the like of Cadel and co to challenge him - can't have a go at a bloke for being too good.

Maybe Wiggins will lead a break away group tonight to make you more excited.
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Of course I can have a go, I don't enjoy that style of a rider winning. I don't blame him so much, just wish it was done a different way. Surely you're not saying you've never found a winner boring?
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:56 pm

Let's hope Nibali can conjure something tonight to break the Sky stranglehold ... Don't think it will happen unfortunately.

Voeckler looks like he's up for it again, pretty determined to get the KOM.

Surprise packet has to be Sagan ... and he's only 22.

I hope they have their fog lights on tonight.
dedja
Coach

Postby brod » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:
Grahaml wrote:Shame Wiggins looks like he'll win because he's surely the most boring winner we've had for years. No attacks and doesn't even chase breaks himself, he lets his team do that.

Ummm isn't that the whole point of the race.. :? :? Sky have raced perfectly. Its not up to Wiggins to chase its up to his team.

That may be the point for Team Sky (to win)...but me me in my arm chair it has been as boring as batshit
brod
Coach

Been liked: 26 times

Postby brod » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:29 pm

dedja wrote:Let's hope Nibali can conjure something tonight to break the Sky stranglehold ... Don't think it will happen unfortunately.

Voeckler looks like he's up for it again, pretty determined to get the KOM.

Surprise packet has to be Sagan ... and he's only 22.

I hope they have their fog lights on tonight.

Has gone over the first two climbs first, although has been followed both times by Kessiakoff
brod
Coach

Been liked: 26 times

Postby dedja » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:34 pm

... and Voeckler gets the third
dedja
Coach