FISHING

Any other sports

Re: FISHING

Postby silicone skyline » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Mickyj wrote:
beeroclock wrote:
silicone skyline wrote:
automaticwicky wrote:Browns, Browns, Browns Browns................

Brown's Well. Popular fishing spot.

Any particular area,pillies for bait and what species do i target?

Perhaps he means for Salmon .

Brown's Well is an area about 30k south of Loxton quite a distance from any water source.

You won't catch anything there except maybe a case of incest.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Mickyj » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:31 pm

I went looking for some colourful feathers this morning. Found some colourful feather boa's at both Spotlight and The Reject shop.The reject shop won out on price and colour variety .
The funniest thing was watching the young teenage checkout chicks face I didnt have the heart to tell I wasn't planning on wearing them :P
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby JAS » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Mickyj wrote:I went looking for some colourful feathers this morning. Found some colourful feather boa's at both Spotlight and The Reject shop.The reject shop won out on price and colour variety .
The funniest thing was watching the young teenage checkout chicks face I didnt have the heart to tell I wasn't planning on wearing them :P

haha...don't think I know any blokes who'd have the guts to buy them themselves :lol:

How is the Danny La Rue tribute act going btw ;)

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:46 pm

JAS wrote:
Mickyj wrote:I went looking for some colourful feathers this morning. Found some colourful feather boa's at both Spotlight and The Reject shop.The reject shop won out on price and colour variety .

haha...don't think I know any blokes who'd have the guts to buy them themselves :lol:

How is the Danny La Rue tribute act going btw ;)

Regards
JAS

Saved u the front row seat Jas ;)
It took the wife a while to work out I didnt go fishing today as well ;)
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:20 pm

I have in the past put pictures of my flies up on the net .And had negative feedback from a few fishing sites,that I normally refrain from doing so .
So with this in mind and my camera work is not the best .And seeing I bought two fly boxes online from http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=home.Speed must be their middle name order 8.30am Thursday am our time they arrived from coffs harbour 11 am friday :D .
So when I started making popper flies they started out this big.
Now this pink thing was getting attacked by bream .But 2 draw backs one it was huge and unwieldy to cast .and more importantly the foam was melting in water :affraid: .
And having caught a few fish on smaller hooks I kept down sizing and using super glue as my whip finish know work was not the best.
Finding that super glue feathers building foam and my fingers dont get on well together .I vowed to use the whip finish tool that came with my new second hand vice.Yeah well watching a u tube video of a tool not quiet the same I needed to be a brain surgeon .So watching a video of doing by hand it finally clicked .
These two popper flies (sorry for the picture quality) are tied on Kamasan B175 no 16 hooks chem sharpened .I think the big pink was tied on a gamakatsu 6 or 8.
And I tied them with red thread so I could see what I was doing :lol!:
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:22 pm

had another try with the camera
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby JAS » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:00 pm

Mickyj wrote:I have in the past put pictures of my flies up on the net .And had negative feedback from a few fishing sites,that I normally refrain from doing so .
So with this in mind and my camera work is not the best .And seeing I bought two fly boxes online from http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=home.Speed must be their middle name order 8.30am Thursday am our time they arrived from coffs harbour 11 am friday :D .

Now this pink thing was getting attacked by bream .But 2 draw backs one it was huge and unwieldy to cast .and more importantly the foam was melting in water :affraid: .
And having caught a few fish on smaller hooks I kept down sizing and using super glue as my whip finish know work was not the best.
Finding that super glue feathers building foam and my fingers dont get on well together .I vowed to use the whip finish tool that came with my new second hand vice.Yeah well watching a u tube video of a tool not quiet the same I needed to be a brain surgeon .So watching a video of doing by hand it finally clicked .
These two popper flies (sorry for the picture quality) are tied on Kamasan B175 no 16 hooks chem sharpened .I think the big pink was tied on a gamakatsu 6 or 8.

Tell 'em to 'get fugged'...at least you make an effort to tie your own. If the fish are interested it them then you're on the right track...just keep experimenting...you'll get there :D

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:09 pm

JAS wrote:
Mickyj wrote:I have in the past put pictures of my flies up on the net .And had negative feedback from a few fishing sites,that I normally refrain from doing so .

Tell 'em to 'get fugged'...at least you make an effort to tie your own. If the fish are interested it them then you're on the right track...just keep experimenting...you'll get there :D

Regards
JAS

Yep I will get there and they will take these flies when its the right time of the year.
And I enjoy catching fish on the surface its more fun ;)
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby beeroclock » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Massive squid off Louth Bay jetty on tap.Throw in some snook as well above 50cm.Best thing is that the jetty is only about 50m long.Whiting patch 30m straight out from the end if you can lob in there you will catch Kgs.Biggest squid was 3.72kg.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Mickyj » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:47 am

Well I awoke to an over cast and windy morning .Even driving to West lakes I wasn't sure if the skies wouldn't open up on me but lucky they didn't.
Deciding to try a new location I had done some scouting online with google maps etc and found how to get to a little beach across from one spot I have tried from time to time.
Just my luck the day I go the wind was really blowing from the wrong side and even though it was 11 degrees the wind made it rather cold.Not just for me but for the fish as well.Seeing once again I was cursed by the gods of winter not catching any fish and also not seeing any either .
I decided to snap a couple of pictures of this little beach .yes here's a picture of a beach I have never fished so not to many secrets lost
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby JAS » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Bad luck Micky but at least you've got another spot to add to the list and a very pretty one too by the look of those photo's. Looks lovely...apart from the houses of course.

Is your fishing a bit like the old man's trout fishing...prefer overcast days as there's less shadows and reflections on the water to spook the fish???

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:08 pm

JAS wrote:Bad luck Micky but at least you've got another spot to add to the list and a very pretty one too by the look of those photo's. Looks lovely...apart from the houses of course.

Is your fishing a bit like the old man's trout fishing...prefer overcast days as there's less shadows and reflections on the water to spook the fish???

Regards
JAS

Sometimes Jas sometimes the buggers are just hungry pigs and it doesnt matter
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby auto » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Question for ya Micky, about fifteen years ago i worked with a lad who was a fairly well known fisherman, having done some work for a mag and several fishing clubs. He once told me about a shark population within the west lakes. He said as there was so much food for the sharks people just dont see them on the surface. I believed him at the time as he was a stright forward sort a bloke but have been wondering ever since if i was a little too gullible. Anyone know of a shark population in the west lakes?
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Iron Fist » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:40 am

I Have heard the same thing autowicky
not that there is heaps of them but one bronzy got in there from the port river when it was small and cause of all the food and no other predators he has grown to be rather big!
I havent seen or know anyone that has seen it so could just be myth
not a bad story though!
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Mickyj » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:00 pm

automaticwicky wrote:Question for ya Micky, about fifteen years ago i worked with a lad who was a fairly well known fisherman, having done some work for a mag and several fishing clubs. He once told me about a shark population within the west lakes. He said as there was so much food for the sharks people just dont see them on the surface. I believed him at the time as he was a stright forward sort a bloke but have been wondering ever since if i was a little too gullible. Anyone know of a shark population in the west lakes?

Haven't seen any but there was picture of one supposedly caught in there .I haven't seen the picture either.But people with more knowledge than me say its to brackish for the sharks .I have no idea haven't seen any .Seen some very large mullieway in the lake in the past few years.
I did have something thumping into my waders boot one Saturday morning .Was standing in a bait fishers burley trail not a smart thing to do scared the shit out of me as well. ;)
Believe me when the bait fish schools are in the lake and the bigger fish are feeding on them .YOU SEE the bigger fish on the surface .Even had bait fish smash into my legs trying to get away from heaven knows what.

Makes for great fly fishing when the big fish come up and strike ;)
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby silicone skyline » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:56 pm

I've got a question for ya Micky.

What is the strangest thing you have reeled in, be it a fish or not...
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:05 pm

silicone skyline wrote:I've got a question for ya Micky.

What is the strangest thing you have reeled in, be it a fish or not...

Since I started fly fishing about three years ago lets see .
A middle aged (or older) woman in a skull boat refused to stop as I was yelling at her .
So she caught me she was all upset and I said just let me untangle and she'll be apples .But she was still upset and I said you had to stop anyway"why" and I said your heading straight for a concrete pontoon. They shoudn't let women drive backwards on water :shock: ;) sorry Jas.
Almost caught a women in the eye who was walking her dog .She was walking then stopped I started to cast and she was right behind me.
My straw cowboy hat blew off in a 30/35 knot wind took me about 10 minutes to hook and land :shock: :lol:
Back when I was really just starting fishing (I've forgotten so much) I must have been about 18.Me and a mate went off the breakwater at Victor .One of the first times I used a whole pilchard bloody big albatross (I think) swooped down and took it out the water .so fast I couldn't do anything.You could see the line get tight in the air and then ping the bird flew backwards and then went straight on.Not what you really want to happen!!
Was with the same mate on the Outer Harbour Break Water when he hooked and landed a keeper net complete with trumpeters inside.
Not caught but
I had a few run ins with Brown snakes along the torrens back when I was even younger fishing for Carp with Bread and floats .One snake had six teenagers (me included) run straight up a steep bank at break neck speed .
Used to think the Water rats in the Torrens were bad and big .when my kids were little used to fish with a mate at the marina at north haven catching whiting and mullet .One friday night we are standing on rocks near the waters edge .I saw this thing moving in the water I knew what it was .I moved way up the rock face with my mate yelling look an otter.I yelled that aint no otter we dont have them here thats the biggest Rat I've ever seen .

Now when I fly fish I have to watch out for Trees stobie poles lights bench seats do they count as well not to mention my pants the backpack on my back or sitting on the shore or my hat on my head ;)

I almost forgot almost caught a shag in the lake it was chasing my fly and in the Torrens one of those Water hen birds did the same thing.

Cheers
Now everyone knows I'm not that good ;)
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:13 pm

Iron Fist wrote:I Have heard the same thing autowicky
not that there is heaps of them but one bronzy got in there from the port river when it was small and cause of all the food and no other predators he has grown to be rather big!
I havent seen or know anyone that has seen it so could just be myth
not a bad story though!

Well I am sure we'd all here the Teenage girls that use Kyaks and skull boats Screaming if one took a fancy to them ;)
I watched about 12 kayakers go down the stretch of lake by Settlers drive one weekend .Three girls lagged behind talking as they paddled one of them hit a pontoon .About 5 seconds or so after they passed a huge fish I assume a mullie jumped out the water.They didn't see or hear it.
On the way back the first group went through .Then these three girls came along almost hitting the same pontoon and once again something large jumped .once again they didnt see or hear it.

So who was more at risk me standing knee deep or the kayakers .
And I was only watching my flyline thats how i saw them I swear ;) honest
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby JAS » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Mickyj wrote:A middle aged (or older) woman in a skull boat refused to stop as I was yelling at her .
So she caught me she was all upset and I said just let me untangle and she'll be apples .But she was still upset and I said you had to stop anyway"why" and I said your heading straight for a concrete pontoon. They shoudn't let women drive backwards on water :shock: ;) sorry Jas.

I almost forgot almost caught a shag in the lake it was chasing my fly and in the Torrens one of those Water hen birds did the same thing.

Cheers

No need to be sorry...you're probably right :D I'll readily admit my attempts at rowing have been about as skillful as my car driving (and I chose to give up doing that in the early 90's)

As for 'not that good'...don't be silly...just shows you're normal.

Btw if it makes you feel better...the old man, who's been fishing since Noah's flood, took us kids on holiday to Weymouth in Dorset in the 70's and while fishing from the pier managed to cast and hook the wing of a herring gull that then tried to fly off in panic. All this was witnessed by dozens of holidaymakers condeming him for being cruel to the poor bird. After what seemed like an eternity anoter fisherman helped he cut the line to release it...nothing else he could do...us kids promtly denied any relationship to him due to the embarrassment ;) :lol:

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:49 pm

JAS wrote:
Mickyj wrote:A middle aged (or older) woman in a skull boat refused to stop as I was yelling at her .

Cheers

No need to be sorry...you're probably right :D I'll readily admit my attempts at rowing have been about as skillful as my car driving (and I chose to give up doing that in the early 90's)

As for 'not that good'...don't be silly...just shows you're normal.

Btw if it makes you feel better...the old man, who's been fishing since Noah's flood, took us kids on holiday to Weymouth in Dorset in the 70's and while fishing from the pier managed to cast and hook the wing of a herring gull that then tried to fly off in panic. All this was witnessed by dozens of holidaymakers condeming him for being cruel to the poor bird. After what seemed like an eternity anoter fisherman helped he cut the line to release it...nothing else he could do...us kids promtly denied any relationship to him due to the embarrassment ;) :lol:

Regards
JAS

Thanks Jas
What u describe is a bit like Ms 17 who as a youngster used to do the rex hunt kiss and release.Now its you hurt the fish when u catch them dad!!!!
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports