Tour Down Under 2012 - Bupa Challenge Tour

Any other sports

Tour Down Under 2012 - Bupa Challenge Tour

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 31, 2011 11:23 pm

Route has been announced today -> http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/__data/ ... ge4_lr.pdf

My goal when I started riding this year was to compete in this in 2012, 138 Kms from Norwood to Tanunda via the Hills.

I havent gone more than 50kms yet so obviously need to ramp it up in the coming months and drop some more weight to make it easier on myself.

Anyone doing it on here? Anyone done it before, any tips?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Re: Tour Down Under 2012 - Bupa Challenge Tour

Postby Sorry Dude » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:46 am

I haven't myself but, working for UniSA quite a few guys in the office do it. The key for them is making sure you do quite a few hill climbs. There are 3 that ride together regularly and did checker hill 3 times back to back on the one day in preperation.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby mickey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Bump

here is the profile of the Community Ride

would love to do it but not sure if i will get enough kms in the legs for this years version.. although the shorter routes might be an option..

Is interesting that they have an "escape" route this year for those not wanting to go over Menglers Hill as well .
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby NFC » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Gosh, I'd love to do it. But I'll probably be in Melbourne when it's on. :(
NFC
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:11 pm

God that looks scary! Menglers Hill at the 105km mark :shock: at least the 20kms before is mainly down hill to give the legs a rest.

Just had last week off and managed to get 150kms into the legs over 3 rides, including one ride from Flaggy to Willunga and back (72kms). Thats the longest Ive done. I can now climb to Flaggy from Darlington up the veloway without stopping or giving myself a heart attack but the TDU ride is almost twice that.

My training plan is to do the BikeSA Grand Slam event 28/8/11 at Echunga 75km then Amy's ride 100km in early November. Hopefully I should then be ready for the TDU ride.

All my training is curently in the hills to get the legs in tune to climb!

So anyone going to commit to the TDU rde?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:31 pm

gee whizz Dutchy, you certainly have pumped the miles into the legs, good work, keep it going :D
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11915 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby pig_skin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:15 pm

i will be doing the ride this year.. i dont think this one will be that tough compared to some others. they had an escape last year so you didnt have to do checker hill.. i have done the coast2coast earlier in the year and have been doing all the grand slam rides this year, both loops (longer distances)... and usually try to get up the old freeway to stirling from town once or twice a week... TIPS = try and do the ride before the day, just to get used to the distance and climbs... Menglers hill is not all that tough a climb, if you want to try some tougher climbs around the same distance closer to adelaide for training etc. try coachouse drv onto woodlands way its just off magill rd, head up the norton summit climb about 200m and take your 2nd right... then climb... if you can get to the top you will be able to do any of the climbs in the TDU stage...
pig_skin
Rookie

Postby NFC » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Finally back on the bike after about a month on the sidelines. Felt good. Only problem was I was so pumped to be back on the bike I probably set off too fast. I made it into the city in absolutely no time at all, flew in there, so I went a tad slower on the way home. Then the last 5km through the hills, man, torture! All up 40+ k's, rode at my quickest pace ever going into the city.
NFC
Coach

Postby mickey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Any interest in getting the SA footy team going for this event?

Minimum 5 riders and get the team name on the back of the jersey....
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports