Birmingham City Season 2010/11

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Birmingham City Season 2010/11

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:24 pm

I guess the Brummies must be pretty pleased to have landed Foster. OK he is no Hart,but he must be one of the best in the EPL outside the top 3 or 4 clubs.

BEN FOSTER JOINS BIRMINGHAM

Birmingham have completed the signing of Manchester United goalkeeper Ben Foster.

The England international has agreed a three-year contract and although Blues have not disclosed the fee, it is reported to be around £6million.

Manager Alex McLeish was looking to strengthen his goalkeeping department having had Joe Hart, selected in Fabio Capello's England squad for the World Cup, on loan from Manchester City this season.

However, with that arrangement unlikely to be repeated in the coming campaign the Birmingham boss has moved to find a replacement.

He made just nine Barclays Premier League starts and his last first-team appearance came on February 23 against West Ham.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Birmingham City Season 2010/11

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:33 pm

I don't know mate. I think Foster is a bit rubbish. Although, he's not Robert Green!!! :lol:
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:37 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:I don't know mate. I think Foster is a bit rubbish. Although, he's not Robert Green!!! :lol:

I guess it must have been hard for him playing number two to England's greatest goalkeeper :lol: It depends how much he learnt from Green.

I thought foster was ok a couple of years back when he was in the CCC. Sometimes you get the chance to step up and lose the plot a bit. A chance at Birmingham might just be what he needs.

Personally I think McLiesh has only bought him from Utd to spite City after they took back Hart :lol:
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:03 pm

McLeish will get the best out of him for sure.
He's a bloody good manager.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:04 am

McLeish seeks new Blues deal
Initial offer rejected by Blues boss

Birmingham manager Alex McLeish has urged the club's hierarchy to sort out his future at the club.
McLeish is still waiting to pen a new deal at St Andrews after rejecting an initial offer from owner Carson Yeung.
The Scottish boss has been waiting since the end of last season to agree fresh terms after guiding the Midlands outfit to their highest top-flight finish in 51 years.
It is believed McLeish's advisers baulked at the financial terms put forward in the first offer.

The situation is made rockier by the departure of McLeish's number two Roy Aitken, who quit on Wednesday to link-up with David O'Leary managing in Dubai.
And the 51-year-old is fearful his unstable contractual situation may deter talent from joining his team as the former Rangers boss looks to bolster his squad.
"It's the right time to do the deal because players need to know my future is at Birmingham," McLeish said in The Daily Star.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:23 am

Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish was promised £40m for new players...but will he ever see the money?

Birmingham City are the latest Premier League club to reveal potentially worrying financial problems as a report admits 'significant doubt' over the viability of the club's holding company just eight months after the much-vaunted takeover by Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung.

Yeung claimed that manager Alex McLeish would have £40million in each transfer window to spend on new players when he took over the club last October.

But the businessman has now been asked to give a written assurance to the Premier League that he will keep the club afloat this season with his own funds after an interim financial report from the board for the period April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010 revealed that the liabilities of the parent company, Birmingham International Holdings, exceeded the assets by £31.9m.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z0xHQFP7wA

I want to know will I ever see the Birmingham Kits I bought and paid for nearly 3 months ago :evil: :evil: :evil: Sorry fella's but BCFC merchandising dept are a complete rabble
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby BALLHOG » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:17 pm

I want to know will I ever see the Birmingham Kits I bought and paid for nearly 3 months ago :evil: :evil: :evil: Sorry fella's but BCFC merchandising dept are a complete rabble[/quote]

Would have to agree had last christmas in the Uk and could not find a Birmingham home kit anywhere even the merchandise shop at St Andrews was out. Had to settle for a discounted away kit.
BALLHOG
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:11 pm

No Blues move for N'Zogbia

Move breaks down over personal terms. Birmingham have confirmed the breakdown of transfer talks with Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia.
As revealed by Sky Sports News on Friday night the move stalled after the two parties failed to reach agreement over N'Zogbia's personal terms after a last-minute hitch.

The Blues had agreed a club-record fee to sign the France international, but the move now looks set to be off.
Birmingham boss Alex McLeish admitted the club would not bow to the Frenchman's personal demands "We did everything that was asked of us and then the goalposts were moved at the last minute," McLeish told the club's official website.

"It was very important to us as a club to stick to our principals and look after the long-term interests of Birmingham City as we are custodians of the club. We remain ambitious and committed to adding extra quality to the playing squad but this deal became one that was not in the interests of the club. The Board worked with me extremely hard to try and get this one over the line and I thank them for their support."

Sunderland and Marseille have both been linked with N'Zogbia, but it looks like he could remain a Wigan player when the transfer window slams shut on Tuesday.

Congrats to Brum for not being held to ransom over extortionate player demands. you can expect to see more of this over the coming years imo, The 25 man squad will leave a lot of "quality" players out in the cold and that should begin a re-alignment of salaries.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:47 pm

tad disappointing to get a draw after leading 2-0 over Bolton, but at the start of the season we would take draws away against teams who will be in similar ladder positions to us
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12310 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:16 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:tad disappointing to get a draw after leading 2-0 over Bolton, but at the start of the season we would take draws away against teams who will be in similar ladder positions to us

Robbie Blake's FK was pure class.
IMO - it takes the pain out of losing when it happens to a moment of magic like that.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby RoosterMarty » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Yes that was a cracking free kick.

What do people think of the two decisions that led to the 2 Bolton goals?

I don't think it was a penalty and I think the decision to award a free kick which Blake scored from was pretty dubious too but might need to watch another replay.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:43 am

IMO - Brum have done the best bit of business in this window.

They've brought in Hleb and Pennant. If McLeish can cool Pennant's brain explosions, he's got 2 brilliant signings.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:29 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:tad disappointing to get a draw after leading 2-0 over Bolton, but at the start of the season we would take draws away against teams who will be in similar ladder positions to us

Robbie Blake's FK was pure class.
IMO - it takes the pain out of losing when it happens to a moment of magic like that.

Bollocks :twisted: Judas Blake scores for a Judas manager, he's a money chasing wanker. anyway, bring on the scum in the carling cup ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm

0-0 draw at home to liverpool - a team that hasnt defeated us in 9 league games

good result - i wouldve taken that before the game, but we did have chances to get the win. but still undefeated for the season :lol:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Birmingham are in real danger of following in Readings footsteps. Had a successful 1st season back and exceeded everyones expectations but fail to build on it and get relegated the following year.

I realize it's still early days yet but can anyone see the similarities?
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:07 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Birmingham are in real danger of following in Readings footsteps. Had a successful 1st season back and exceeded everyones expectations but fail to build on it and get relegated the following year.

I realize it's still early days yet but can anyone see the similarities?

Yeah I thought similar today, although I havent seen enough of them to judge their form or list .. I was quite impressed with them last season and actually dont mind them, so I hope it's not the case.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4468 times
Been liked: 3009 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:43 pm

bein one eyed biased towards the blues

they wont get relegated

they may have exceeded last season but have had a couple of games this year where theyve been desperately unlucky to lose
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:37 pm

picked up a handy point at man city last night :shock: :lol:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:43 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:picked up a handy point at man city last night :shock: :lol:

Not much of an achievement MT, afterall it was only City away ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:51 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:picked up a handy point at man city last night :shock: :lol:

Not much of an achievement MT, afterall it was only City away ;)

very true, but there is much to be taken out of the stoke loss, especially after the way they disposed of liverpool
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  English Soccer