Man Utd sign Joe Co......

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Man Utd sign Joe Co......

Postby Il Duce » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:36 am

Man Utd sign Joe Coll

It's official. Manchester United have signed 16 year old Irish goalkeeper Joe Coll
Cue Moon Utd's academy & reserves threads

1903_coll_indo_532642t.jpg
1903_coll_indo_532642t.jpg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 329 times

Joe (16) signs for Man United - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

By Paddy Clancy

Friday March 19 2010

A TINY village in the Gaeltacht is on cloud nine after Manchester United signed a local teenager for a three-year deal as a goalkeeper.

Joe Coll, who turned 16 last month, signed on the dotted line last Saturday with manager Alex Ferguson.

He has already appeared on Ireland under-age teams and is tipped to be the third goalkeeper from Donegal to be the number one choice for the senior national team after Packie Bonner and Shay Given.

Joe, who is six-foot-one-and-a-half-inches tall, heads off to Old Trafford on Sunday for a full medical.

Arrangements are being made to continue his schooling after he joins the club full-time on July 5.

But yesterday he was still at school at Pobalscoil Chloich Cheannfhaola, Falcarragh, where he is in fourth year.

Dad Tom, a FAS-scheme youth worker with Joe's Glenea United team in the Donegal Youth League, said: "The whole area is very excited but young Joe still has his feet very much on the ground."

Tom, a 49-year-old former striker, won an FAI Junior Cup medal in 1979.

Several UK clubs approached Joe in recent years after he was spotted by a Charlton scout playing in an under-13 competition in Limerick.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolves, Newcastle, Spurs, Manchester City and Celtic showed interest, but Alex Ferguson convinced him his future lay at United.

"He wished me good luck and success and he told me they were not signing me just for the sake of signing me but one day to become the number one at the club."

- Paddy Clancy

Irish Independent
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Re: Man Utd sign Joe Co......

Postby devilsadvocate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:37 am

Lmao - stir that pot!!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Man Utd sign Joe Co......

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Not bumping this for any other reason than it's a perfect example of how big clubs snap up kids. Note the story reads he was scouted by Charlton.

Aslo note who else was chasing him. Will be interesting to see how his career develops
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  English Soccer