EPL Season 2013/2014

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Re: EPL Season 2013/2014

Postby Bully » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:14 am

Southampton should have been 4-0 at half time .

Second half belonged to arsenal
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:59 am

Jim05 wrote:Solid if unspectacular win by United. Clean sheet and a win is a start, Cardiff now bottom and hopefully on their way back down.
Thank you Saints

Should never let the bloody Welsh in the league in the 1st place
There is already a Welsh league, piss off to there I say
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 am

Bully wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Bully wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

reminds us all when burnley won something of significance ? i.e. a major trophy that's well known around the world

Let me think now...

Founder members........ We were one of the original 12 clubs who started the whole thing, so without us you wouldn't have a league, to play in.

Professional players....... First club to have pro's. When the FA said no, Burnley threatened to leave and take half the other clubs with them and start a new league. The FA backed down and allowed professional, paid players, so without us you'd never have the likes of Henry, Van Persie, etc., or any of the others that you pay millions for.

TV Money......... Games were shown free until Burnley chairman Bob Lord said no more freebies. If you want televised football you will have to pay, so if it wasn't for us you wouldn't have your sky millions or that £150m sponsorship deal either.

Now what has your club done of any significance to enhance the English league it plays in. Oh yes, weren't they the first club to field a team for an English league game that no English players in at all? Apart from that, sweet FA I think.

I'm actually pretty proud of what my little small town club has achieved. Won the league title twice, runners up a few times, won the FA cup, won the charity shield, quarterfinals of the European Cup, (how far did Arsenal ever get in the European Cup, not this Mickey mouse comp they have now where you can finish 4th and still qualify and lose in the group stages but still qualify, unlike the real Champions Cup when you had to actually win the league to qualify), league winners in every division and became the smallest town club to play in the premiership.

( note in my original post - When did Burnley last win anything of significance after your dig at Arsenal) ...........

Yeah, know one would have though of a football league since 200 BC john...... :roll:
You are saying basically its our fault that your chairman said no more freebies to games which allows the BIG clubs to get these sponsor ship deals....riiigghhhtttt .
I have continually said that 4th or 3rd or 2nd does not deserve champions league. Champions league means CHAMPIONS. I think you are barking up the wrong tree with that one ....

Sorry Bully, Championship Play Off Final 2009. I think that can be considered a significant trophy, carrying the biggest financial prize in World Football. It It was the same year we knocked your mob out of the Carling Cup ;)

As for the rest it was just a history lesson mate, trying to explain how fortunate your big city club is to be in the position you are, all thanks to the the foresight of my little club who was playing in the FA Cup before your mob had decided what name and address to have :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Solid if unspectacular win by United. Clean sheet and a win is a start, Cardiff now bottom and hopefully on their way back down.
Thank you Saints

Agree, and if they are going to let them in make them abide by the same rules, the current system is a disgrace
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3559 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:11 am

Jim05 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Thank you Saints

Agree, and if they are going to let them in make them abide by the same rules, the current system is a disgrace

Just to show how out of touch I am with the League these days, what is the difference(s) in rules?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:20 am

JK wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Thank you Saints

Just to show how out of touch I am with the League these days, what is the difference(s) in rules?

If the Welsh clubs get red cards they dont abide by the English FA regarding bans. The Welsh FA handle all red cards and a fair ammount of them get turned over. There was a famous case a few years back in the playoffs where for memory a Cardiff player was sent off with 15 minutes remaining in the first leg, he should of missed the 2nd leg but the Welsh FA decided he had been punished enough by leaving his side short for the remaining 15 minutes so they overthrew the ban and he fronted up the following weekend. Percentage of Welsh clubs getting bans overturned is far higher than their English counterparts
Jim05
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Correct. Happened against us either last year or year before. Red Carded, got a "reprimand", whatever the hell that is.

Having said all that we don't want Berwick Rangers dominating the English leagues either so it's swings an roundabouts
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:05 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Correct. Happened against us either last year or year before. Red Carded, got a "reprimand", whatever the hell that is.

Having said all that we don't want Berwick Rangers dominating the English leagues either so it's swings an roundabouts

:lol:
Jim05
Coach

Postby Bully » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:04 am

Back on top, where we belong. Great game by the Ox.

Hope for a draw for tomorrow morn but if not I say city win. Yes they will go top again but puts some distance between us and the chavs and more to a 2 horse title race :D
Bully
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:33 am

My eyes are still bleeding from the WBA v Liv match this morning .. What an horrendous advertisement for the game, two poor teams that put in woeful performances.

Thankfully, if you're a Liverpool fan you can read us like a book, so the $14 on offer for Liv/Draw (HT/FT) slightly helped ease the pain (although the $41 for Liv/WBA would have been huge, almost found myself wanting it toward the end of the game)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Bully wrote:Back on top, where we belong. Great game by the Ox.

Hope for a draw for tomorrow morn but if not I say city win. Yes they will go top again but puts some distance between us and the chavs and more to a 2 horse title race :D

I don't understand your line of thinking. Surely you would prefer Chelsea to win so you can stay 2pts clear, regardless of how close 3rd place will be.
IMHO you're right with your 2 horse race prediction. Unfortunately for you it will be between City & Chelsea.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5527 times
Been liked: 5160 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Being an Arsenal fan whenever there's big games I would rather them draw. Maybe you would understand if your team was in these situations.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:38 pm

mighty hounds wrote:Being an Arsenal fan whenever there's big games I would rather them draw. Maybe you would understand if your team was in these situations.

Firstly you haven't given a reason why you'd prefer a draw instead of keeping a larger buffer between yourself and those behind you.
Secondly, I understand completely this situation - Arsenal just like Southampton have won F#ck all the last decade. Only difference is we don't masquerade ourselves as a "big club" then under perform time after time, oh, and then sign the same manager on for another 2 years. :lol:

Spargo
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Spargo wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:Being an Arsenal fan whenever there's big games I would rather them draw. Maybe you would understand if your team was in these situations.

Firstly you haven't given a reason why you'd prefer a draw instead of keeping a larger buffer between yourself and those behind you.
Secondly, I understand completely this situation - Arsenal just like Southampton have won F#ck all the last decade. Only difference is we don't masquerade ourselves as a "big club" then under perform time after time, oh, and then sign the same manager on for another 2 years. :lol:

Not sure if your taking the piss but I'll explain. A draw will keep us 4-5 points ahead of chelsea and still 1 point clear of city. I would take that over one if them winning and gaining bigger ground. Worry about your own club before laughing at what arsenal do. I don't remember us dropping down to div 1 in recent years :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:55 pm

I would of thought most Arsenal fans wouldnt want Shiteh to get any points, they are your main rival for the title. If Shiteh win tonight they will win the league by double figures
Jim05
Coach

Postby Bully » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:32 pm

Spargo wrote:

yeah.......... changing the manager more times than I have had hot dinners like a certain club that you follow does works well for you also :lol:
Bully
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Jim05 wrote:I would of thought most Arsenal fans wouldnt want Shiteh to get any points, they are your main rival for the title. If Shiteh win tonight they will win the league by double figures

No no no - silly Jim. They only ever want these games to be draws, stop making such sense!

Spargo
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Spargo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I would of thought most Arsenal fans wouldnt want Shiteh to get any points, they are your main rival for the title. If Shiteh win tonight they will win the league by double figures

No no no - silly Jim. They only ever want these games to be draws, stop making such sense!

You asked me why I have you my answer. Just because you've given up Jim doesn't mean I haven't.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:52 am

I don't think it really matters.

City will win it by a mile and the Gunners will hope to make the CL. There is no real title winners anymore because there is no difference in the rewards, apart from a nominal difference in the pay out 1st gets compared to 2nd, and 3rd and so on. The difference in the prize money compared to the TV money is negligible.

The value of the title was washed away when they changed the format of the European Cup and allowed any old losers in. So as long as you finish top four then the rerwards are just the same.

Just like the FA Cup. The oldest footballing competition in the world and at one easily the most prestigious. Not treated with total disrespect by big boys who don't want to do anything to risk premiership points.

Its all cack really.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Bully » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:37 am

Swansea manager has been sacked
Bully
Coach