The Olympic Stadium

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

The Olympic Stadium

Postby smithy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:06 am

Apparently West Ham are the favoured residents for this new stadium when the Olympics are finished in 2012.

Can anyone tell me how much it is going to cost West Ham to move into this stadium ?
smithy

Re: The Olympic Stadium

Postby mighty hounds » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:52 am

smithy wrote:Apparently West Ham are the favoured residents for this new stadium when the Olympics are finished in 2012.

Can anyone tell me how much it is going to cost West Ham to move into this stadium ?

I thought u red somewhere it was close too 100 mill
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Bully » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:23 pm

but why would you want a big stadium like that when your in the championship?
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby smithy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:46 pm

I raise the question because if a club gets that stadium for 100 million then that's dirt cheap and unfair on other clubs that have to pay 3-4 times that amount to build their own.
smithy

Postby Bulls forever » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:02 pm

smithy wrote:I raise the question because if a club gets that stadium for 100 million then that's dirt cheap and unfair on other clubs that have to pay 3-4 times that amount to build their own.

I haven't looked at the West Ham bid, but the Spurs bid was going to be totally funded by Spurs. They have committed to turning the stadium into a state of the art soccer stadium and re develop Crystal Palace as a 25K athletics stadium. West Ham have committed to the facility being a joint useage stadium, which is why they will probably win the bid. But as most of you are aware, with a running track, the closest seats are about 40 metres from the pitch, which is not ideal viewing. Spurs were going to pull up the running track and made the closest seats about 8 metres from pitch. Lord Sebastian Coe is leading the West Ham push and has a lot of pull in the right circles, so West Ham it will probably be, unfortunately. I think in time with West Ham winning the bid, it will become a big white elephant and the fair citizens of London will be paying to maintain what will become a bit of their history, ie the 2012 Olympics.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby Bulls forever » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:04 pm

smithy wrote:I raise the question because if a club gets that stadium for 100 million then that's dirt cheap and unfair on other clubs that have to pay 3-4 times that amount to build their own.

Smithy, further to that in my reading on the topic on the Spurs website, both Wembley and Emirates were significantly public funded stadiums, whereas Spurs bid, if accepted, would receive no public funding, only a cheaper stadium that would be signficantly changed to suite the 60,000 Spurs fans that the increased ground capactiy would bring.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:36 pm

West Ham's bid has won. I guess it made sense as they are the local side. Not sure how the hammers fans will react. They used to be closer to the pitch than anyone else in the league. Now they will be about the furthest away.

Personally I don't like running tracks between the fans and the pitch. It seems to take away some of the atmosphere although I know this format is popular in Europe
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby mickey » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:29 pm

smithy wrote:Can anyone tell me how much it is going to cost West Ham to move into this stadium ?

Not much i dare say smithy, maybe borrow a mates ute... thats all that would be needed for their trophy cabinet ;)
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby eyeofthetiger » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Bulldog wrote:but why would you want a big stadium like that when your in the championship?

I'll take that as a vote for spurs to have been given the stadium. ;)

I'm happy spurs did not get this one across the line. Trading our heart and soul in my opinion.
eyeofthetiger
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby smithy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:08 pm

mickey wrote:
smithy wrote:Can anyone tell me how much it is going to cost West Ham to move into this stadium ?

Not much i dare say smithy, maybe borrow a mates ute... thats all that would be needed for their trophy cabinet ;)

:lol:

Not bad.
smithy

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:43 am

Personally I'm against the move, watching football at stadiums with running tracks is generally shite unless your sitting on an upper tier, in which case your nowhere near the play, some sort of retractable seating is a must.

West Ham aren't exactly setting the league alight, should we get relegated then what happens? 30,000 a week to a 60,000 seat stadium, Talking to Charlton supporters their clubs biggest issue at present is the fact their stadium has become a financial liability now that they play in league 1, 27,000 seat stadium was fine when they we're in the premier league, but not now that they only get 17,000 most weeks.

Judging by the amount of emails I've been received from the club in regards to the move, they somewhat seem like they are very much still trying to convince people that it is a good move, so I do get the impression the majority of WH supporters must be against the move.
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Postby Bully » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:06 pm

On topics of stadiums. Whats going on with Liverpools redevelopment or move to the new stanley park stadium they were talking about a few years ago? Is this still in the plans or been scrapped?
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Bulls forever » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Bulldog wrote:On topics of stadiums. Whats going on with Liverpools redevelopment or move to the new stanley park stadium they were talking about a few years ago? Is this still in the plans or been scrapped?

Heard over the weekend whilst in stadium re development talk that Anfield upgrade is a definate no, they would have to acquire too much adjacent land / housing.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Postby Bulls forever » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:11 pm

johntheclaret wrote:West Ham's bid has won. I guess it made sense as they are the local side. Not sure how the hammers fans will react. They used to be closer to the pitch than anyone else in the league. Now they will be about the furthest away.

Personally I don't like running tracks between the fans and the pitch. It seems to take away some of the atmosphere although I know this format is popular in Europe

JTC, the way they behave in Europe, they need the space for the moats and barbed wire.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Postby Bulls forever » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Spurs - Club Statement on Olympic Stadium Bid
The OPLC has today announced that the Club is not the preferred bidder for the Olympic Stadium site.

The Olympic Stadium site is an essential element in the creation of a viable Olympic Park and we know that, together with AEG, we provided a first class proposal to support the sustainability of the whole project.

It was never an option, however, that we would retain the running track as we believe this to be unacceptable for our supporters and therefore wholly unviable in the long term. It carries with it the major risk of being incapable of delivering a lasting legacy without further calls on the public purse or a requirement for changes to the stadium and track at a later date.

Much has been made of the promise to keep the Athletics track within the Olympic Stadium and, therefore, we should all expect to see the retention of this track firmly embedded and legally guaranteed by those entrusted with this legacy commitment, today and in the future.

We submitted an honest bid with the only solution we considered capable of delivering lasting regeneration, a significant return to the public purse and wide-ranging benefits to the local communities and to London.

The OPLC’s decision has still to be approved by two Government departments and the Mayor’s Office. We shall continue to monitor the bid process over the coming weeks up until its final determination, whilst reviewing our position and holding discussions with our advisors.

We shall spend time assessing our situation in respect of a new stadium and when we have any further information we shall update our supporters.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:16 pm

''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  English Soccer