Round 2 Discussion

Into tipping/fantasy/dreamteam/supercoach/ultimate footy competitions? Its all discussed here!

Re: Round 2 Discussion

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:32 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:With limited trades in SC you shouldn't be trading anyone this week unless you were unlucky enough to have Jack Martin in your starting squad.

regards,

REB

even if you've got rockliff and daisy thomas?

Yes.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby zedman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:43 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Sitting on my trades for a week- I will always allow 2-3 corrective trades to start a season.

Mumford to pocket $140k is looking extremely viable should he score 100+ this weekend- depends if Minson was a once off..

May very well look into replacing a forward rookie also. With limited premiums in my forward line i need players playing to generate cash flow.

I didn't look too hard at Minson or Goldstein in my initial squad. Paying over 600k for a Ruckman is madness. Minson has to do it pretty much alone so he was always going to work his way into a season making him the perfect upgrade target. Having said that though I got Nick Nat and he could very well end up doing the same thing.

regards,

REB

That is a fair call REB- and one I wish I had put more thought into when I was choosing my initial squad.

If a downgrade to mummy costs me a trade, then I have to wear it.

lots of cheap rucks around..ive gone with hickey and sandi and hope to upgrade hickey to the best performing ruck after the bye rounds..

downgrading minson/goldy to hickey or grundy this week will give you 250-300k to upgrade someone like a rohan or martin to a premium like a swallow or rioli,zorko etc
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1080 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:46 pm

whats peoples thoughts on Brodie Grundy?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3030 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Groover » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:07 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:whats peoples thoughts on Brodie Grundy?

colligwoods #1 so should be pretty consistent, gets in and wins contested ball, but doesnt win a massive amount of hit outs.
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 386 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby valleys07 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:10 pm

zedman wrote:lots of cheap rucks around..ive gone with hickey and sandi and hope to upgrade hickey to the best performing ruck after the bye rounds..

downgrading minson/goldy to hickey or grundy this week will give you 250-300k to upgrade someone like a rohan or martin to a premium like a swallow or rioli,zorko etc

I like that Zed- something to ponder next week most definitely!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:20 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:whats peoples thoughts on Brodie Grundy?

I have him. Should score well this week against the swans.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby One Club Player » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:53 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
One Club Player wrote:I know everyone in slagging off AFL Fantasy but I kind of like that it's different. The technical issues are a different story but the unlimited trades, free hit and different price change mechanism open up different tactics I think. A lot of teams end up the same in Supercoach so I don't think that's a great argument. I agree with Reb on the scoring system though!

What is the different price change mechanism?

From what I understand prices change after two games, scores will stay in the calculation for longer (maybe 5 weeks?) but a greater weighting to the most recent scores.

In Supercoach a bad score in rnd 1 isn't disastrous as it only effects one price change but in Fantasy it's going to have a bit mor of an impact I think.
One Club Player
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby One Club Player » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:01 pm

zedman wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Sitting on my trades for a week- I will always allow 2-3 corrective trades to start a season.

Mumford to pocket $140k is looking extremely viable should he score 100+ this weekend- depends if Minson was a once off..

May very well look into replacing a forward rookie also. With limited premiums in my forward line i need players playing to generate cash flow.

I didn't look too hard at Minson or Goldstein in my initial squad. Paying over 600k for a Ruckman is madness. Minson has to do it pretty much alone so he was always going to work his way into a season making him the perfect upgrade target. Having said that though I got Nick Nat and he could very well end up doing the same thing.

regards,

REB

That is a fair call REB- and one I wish I had put more thought into when I was choosing my initial squad.

If a downgrade to mummy costs me a trade, then I have to wear it.

lots of cheap rucks around..ive gone with hickey and sandi and hope to upgrade hickey to the best performing ruck after the bye rounds..

Yes that could work. On the other hand Minson could smash out 120, Hickey cops a bath from Mumford & Rioli's hammy goes ping in the first 10 mins. You paid $600k for him for a reason, can't bail out after 1 week.
One Club Player
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby zedman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:39 am

sure..that could happen..this game is about risk, reward, hunches and brave moves..i would suggest if you paid $600k for a ruck you probably paid to much to begin with..i dont advocate selling premiums in the first week..i was just showing what you could do if you wanted to correct buying an expensive ruck :)
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1080 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Ecky » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:33 am

I'm a Minson owner who hasn't thought once about trading him out.

Paying $600K for a ruck is definitely not "madness" as REB puts it. It comes down to a decision such as who will score more (and make more money overall) out of
1) Premo Ruckman + midfield midpricer (eg Dale Thomas)
or
2) Hickey + Premo midfielder

(you could equally substitute midfield for forward or back in the above too)

I went for the extra ruck premo because
1) I thought it was more certain that Minson would be one of the top ruck premos than whoever I was looking at as an extra premo in the other areas, and the R8 byes scared me off having too many mid premos. There were also reasonable doubts about all the other premo and near-premo ruckmen.
2) Sandilands and Hickey sharing a bye is a pain, and there is no guarantee you will want to upgrade Hickey by then
3) I thought before Round 1 there was more doubt over Hickey (Longer was more in the picture still then) than some of other other midprice options in other lines
4) There are usually valid underpriced upgrade targets in the mid/def/fwd line whenever you want to make an upgrade. This is much less likely in the rucks so it restricts how much value you can get out of Hickey even if he makes some nice cash.
5) I have been influenced by last years winner who said in a podcast that he was quite happy to pay more than top dollar for top premos and that people worry too much about value (I know I have been guilty of this in the past). The ultimate aim in this game isn't to make money (that is just a tool) but to score the most points, and to do this you need to have the best of the best in as many positions as possible, and the way the game is designed you really don't need to make THAT much money to achieve full premium status quickly, and it is much more important to have the right rookies that make money quickly than to have premiums who don't lose money (for obvious reasons).

It definitely wasn't a clear cut decision though and Minson may still prove to be a bad option. It is just silly though to trade him out after one game, you are much more likely to get more value out of that trade somewhere else at some later stage, especially if you are going for League honours.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Ron Burgundy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:43 am

Murphy was my VC last night and got 121. Is this enough to make him my Captain. Ive got no GAJ or Pendlebury.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Ecky » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:53 am

One Club Player wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
One Club Player wrote:I know everyone in slagging off AFL Fantasy but I kind of like that it's different. The technical issues are a different story but the unlimited trades, free hit and different price change mechanism open up different tactics I think. A lot of teams end up the same in Supercoach so I don't think that's a great argument. I agree with Reb on the scoring system though!

What is the different price change mechanism?

From what I understand prices change after two games, scores will stay in the calculation for longer (maybe 5 weeks?) but a greater weighting to the most recent scores.

In Supercoach a bad score in rnd 1 isn't disastrous as it only effects one price change but in Fantasy it's going to have a bit mor of an impact I think.

It is hard to know what the AFL Fantasy formula will really be (and given everything else about FanHub it is likely to be full of bugs anyway), but reading between the lines I think the prices of premiums will be less affected by good or bad individual games and be more stable -they also allegedly include last years scores and more games in their rolling average, which should lead to more stability in prices, apart from rookies.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
Ecky

Postby Ecky » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:54 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:Murphy was my VC last night and got 121. Is this enough to make him my Captain. Ive got no GAJ or Pendlebury.

I'm keeping his 121 and hoping for an Ablett injury (even though I have Ablett)!
Ecky

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:32 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:Murphy was my VC last night and got 121. Is this enough to make him my Captain. Ive got no GAJ or Pendlebury.

Think of it as money in the bank
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Ron Burgundy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Id love 121 dollars in the bank!
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Is Fantasy unlimited trades every week or just the first two rounds?!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby fish » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Supercoach site is currently down they have 4 hours and 17 minutes to fix it otherwise there are going to be a few unhappy coaches...
fish
Coach

Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Sorry Dude » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Talk around a Sam Mitchell late withdrawal tonight are doing the rounds.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby cossi11 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Sorry Dude wrote:Talk around a Sam Mitchell late withdrawal tonight are doing the rounds.

Confirmed! Litherland to debut

Merrett and Simpkin subs
2020 AFL Premiers: Richmond 12.9.81 def Geelong 7.8.50
2019 AFL Premiers: Richmond 17.12.114 def Greater Western Sydney 3.7.25
2017 AFL Premiers: Adelaide 8.12.60 def by Richmond 16.12.108
2012 D5 Premiers: Brahma Lodge 24.15.159 def Hope Valley 7.13.55
cossi11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:58 pm

cossi11 wrote:
Sorry Dude wrote:Talk around a Sam Mitchell late withdrawal tonight are doing the rounds.

Confirmed! Litherland to debut

Merrett and Simpkin subs

Would people still advis not to trade???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3030 times
Been liked: 2406 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL  Fantasy/Tipping Footy