Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds

Postby Hondo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:05 pm

I am interested in people's recollections of Jeff Wayne's musical version of "The War of the Worlds". My mum loved it and had the LP. The album scared me so much I eventually refused to let her play it if I could hear it. As I got older I overcame the fear and became a fan still to this day. In fact I was looking for my CD version this morning but couldn't find it. It must have got lost or lent to someone.

Released in 1978 the album featured Richard Burton as narrator, David Essex, Phil Lynott and Justin Haywood among others. It sold millions of copies even spawned a UK top 5 single. The LP and CD come with a story booklet with, to me, very memorable artwork by a number of artists. To help prompt your memory:

In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 pm

Yeah I used to listen to it all the time as a kid as I was sci fi mad.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2070 times
Been liked: 3933 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Hondo wrote:I am interested in people's recollections of Jeff Wayne's musical version of "The War of the Worlds". My mum loved it and had the LP. The album scared me so much I eventually refused to let her play it if I could hear it. As I got older I overcame the fear and became a fan still to this day. In fact I was looking for my CD version this morning but couldn't find it. It must have got lost or lent to someone.

I remember going out with my old man to some scrubby department store to get this album back in the '70s. When he saw the price he spat the dummy and we drove to a further department store where it was being sold for a dollar less. :lol:

Like yourself, after hearing it the first few times and having nightmares about martians sucking the lifeblood from my veins, I became terrified of it. I can recall at one point my mother persuading the old man NOT to play the LP after he had taken it ouf of the cabinet, because the sight of it reduced me and my sister to terror.

I got back in to the album once I'd matured to the point where I could distinguish fiction from reality, and purchased my own CD of it about 20 years ago. My edition has a single bonus track, the Ben Liebrand remix of "The Eve Of The War". It took me a while to come around, but I quite appreciate the remix now. I understand that later editions contain several more remixes.

Today I rate this album as one of the best things ever recorded by anyone, anywhere. To this day it remains the single best argument in favour of buying a decent Hi-Fi system.

I know other posters here also rate the album. Cue smithy.....

(PS - Music board?)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1578 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Hondo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Woops, yes ... this should be on the music board

Can I be moved?
Hondo
Coach

Postby Hondo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Pseudo wrote:Like yourself, after hearing it the first few times and having nightmares about martians sucking the lifeblood from my veins, I became terrified of it. I can recall at one point my mother persuading the old man NOT to play the LP after he had taken it ouf of the cabinet, because the sight of it reduced me and my sister to terror.

I couldn't last past the first violin burst of the "ba ba baah" without imploding in fear and running off. I was about 9 years old but it lasted a few years beyond that.

I remember having a mate from school around one day when mum put it on and I raced him and I downstairs to get away from it. I remember asking him if he was scared and he just shrugged and looked at me blankly.

On the album itself, I think the story of TWOTW works best when it is set back when HG Wells intended it be set. I think Speilberg should have done it as a period movie. It has more impact when it's aliens invading Earth circa 19th century rather than today when we could nuke them if we had to. That has nothing to do with the music but helps set the atmosphere of the album.
Hondo
Coach

Postby JAS » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:44 pm

Hondo wrote:Woops, yes ... this should be on the music board

Can I be moved?

Done :D

I'm fairly sure I still have my vinyl copy of War Of The Worlds in a cardboard box at the back of the wardrobe gathering dust with a few others :lol:

Was living in barracks when I originally bought it and I doubt I knew anyone who didn't have a copy of it. Loved it back in the day but can probably take it or leave now.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby PhilH » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:55 pm

Yep got the old vinal LP, was also freaked out by the pictures.

I few years later I heard the original Orson Wells radio play ... hearing it late at night you can appreciated how it caused panic at the time.

Still think War of The World, The Eve Of War is one of the best pieces of music ever written, stood the test of time very well.

Also check this out from You Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8JLqsbK5V0&feature=related
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby BIG SEXY » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:41 am

i was much the same as a kid, like most of the music but was $hit scared!
love it now and find myself listening to certain pieces to get me in the right frame of mind for footy and things like that
car 777 2010 class 7 state champions!
BIG SEXY
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:23 pm

JAS wrote:

Can I be moved?

I'm fairly sure I still have my vinyl copy of War Of The Worlds in a cardboard box at the back of the wardrobe gathering dust with a few others :lol:

Was living in barracks when I originally bought it and I doubt I knew anyone who didn't have a copy of it. Loved it back in the day but can probably take it or leave now.

Regards
JAS

How much you want for it?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby JAS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:35 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
JAS wrote:

Can I be moved?

Regards
JAS

How much you want for it?

Even if it is still in with my other stuff it's not for sale.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby smithy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Hondo wrote:I am interested in people's recollections of Jeff Wayne's musical version of "The War of the Worlds". My mum loved it and had the LP. The album scared me so much I eventually refused to let her play it if I could hear it. As I got older I overcame the fear and became a fan still to this day. In fact I was looking for my CD version this morning but couldn't find it. It must have got lost or lent to someone.

I remember going out with my old man to some scrubby department store to get this album back in the '70s. When he saw the price he spat the dummy and we drove to a further department store where it was being sold for a dollar less. :lol:

Like yourself, after hearing it the first few times and having nightmares about martians sucking the lifeblood from my veins, I became terrified of it. I can recall at one point my mother persuading the old man NOT to play the LP after he had taken it ouf of the cabinet, because the sight of it reduced me and my sister to terror.

I got back in to the album once I'd matured to the point where I could distinguish fiction from reality, and purchased my own CD of it about 20 years ago. My edition has a single bonus track, the Ben Liebrand remix of "The Eve Of The War". It took me a while to come around, but I quite appreciate the remix now. I understand that later editions contain several more remixes.

Today I rate this album as one of the best things ever recorded by anyone, anywhere. To this day it remains the single best argument in favour of buying a decent Hi-Fi system.

I know other posters here also rate the album. Cue smithy.....

(PS - Music board?)

Indeed Mr Psuedo..
An absolutely brilliant album I've listened to many times and I have the stage show on dvd too which I highly recommend.

and for a slightly heavier version of the song by an Australian band called ALchemist.

smithy

Postby zipzap » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:00 am

Pseudo wrote:My edition has a single bonus track, the Ben Liebrand remix of "The Eve Of The War".

Ben Liebrand's other career high point...

"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Side four was a bit of a dud but the first three were great. One of my favourite albums growing up..still got is somewhere about the place.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1711 times
Been liked: 1826 times

Board index   General Talk  Music