Soundwave 2014

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: Soundwave 2014

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:29 pm

MatteeG wrote:After proclaiming I was in sometime back, I still havent purchased a ticket and its getting a joke how many bands are pulling out. STP, Megadeth, Whitechapel for starters.

I'm sure it will be an on the day decision now. Or at least a big win on the punt decision....

A mate purchased his tickets last week, his ticket number is 12,350. If they are indeed sequential, then I dont see more than 15,000 being there.

If you're not going now, you're probably not going.....or, like yourself, it will be a last minute purchase. If that's the case I can't see 5000 late walk ups buying in the next week and a half.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7625 times
Been liked: 11094 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:30 pm

MatteeG wrote:
Booney wrote:Timetables out last night. A couple of clashes for me, but they overlap so I'll see half/half.

Again, they ****** it up again with the main stage being right next to the bottle neck where the venue closes off to it's narrowest point. Why not have the main stages where Iron Maiden played that year, right at the Northern end of the the park?

Really? That was clearly the main issue last year!

I agree, get the main stage right up the northern end.

Not wrong, clearly works better as the BDO set up and as set up a couple of years ago.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby southee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Would only go for Alice in chains but not paying that price when they are doing full shows in the eastern states which includes some unplugged shows.

I think this festival will bomb IMO

Tickets are not selling well at all.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 868 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Gozu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:21 pm

I would've been tempted to see Green Day (I saw them on their first Aus tour in '96) do their own show not that they're that good anymore purely for nostalgia as they're going on 'indefinite hiatus' after Soundwave and I suspect they'll break up and probably not tour here again but at $185 a ticket to this it's out of the question.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 663 times

Postby saintal » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 am

Yet to buy a ticket, but looking at the timetable my day would look something like this- Biffy Clyro, Alter Bridge, gap, The Living End, Placebo, gap, Baroness, Gojira, Green Day, Newsted or Dillenger, Mastodon.

Will most likely attend. Should be able to fill in some of the 'gaps' above.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 447 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:35 am

Just over a week from the show and no work at Bonython Park as yet? They must be planning a hit and run type set-up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:50 am

Booney wrote:Just over a week from the show and no work at Bonython Park as yet? They must be planning a hit and run type set-up.

It's a 48 hour lease IIRC
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:01 am

Q. wrote:
Booney wrote:Just over a week from the show and no work at Bonython Park as yet? They must be planning a hit and run type set-up.

It's a 48 hour lease IIRC

Really? The BDO took 4-5 days to set up and 4 to take down.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:58 am

Unless it's changed, AJ had complained in the past about being given just two days by the council.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Gozu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Bands pulling out left right and centre Stone Temple Pilots, Megadeth, Sevendust, Whitechapel, Desaparecidos now Newsted & Hardcore Superstar have pulled out too.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/385 ... ival-dates
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:47 pm

It might be the last Soundwave for Adelaide and Perth too...

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/future-of ... -in-doubt/
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 615 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Gozu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:55 pm

Adelaide looks safe though:

UPDATE 3:42pm 20/02/14: AJ Maddah had some good news for Adelaide punters while responding to a Twitter follower’s question. Despite claiming that future SW events would be “East Coast only” the mogul counts “Adelaide as East Coast,” meaning organisers are “looking at 4 cities.”
Gozu
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Gozu wrote:Adelaide looks safe though:

UPDATE 3:42pm 20/02/14: AJ Maddah had some good news for Adelaide punters while responding to a Twitter follower’s question. Despite claiming that future SW events would be “East Coast only” the mogul counts “Adelaide as East Coast,” meaning organisers are “looking at 4 cities.”

That's good news. Hopefully they can move it to Wayville Showgrounds one day.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 615 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Can't wait for Saturday, been listening to Green Day, Less Than Jake and Zebrahead today starting to gear up for a big day. Bands I'm going to see-

Less Than Jake
Zebrahead
The Living End
Pennywise
Green Day

More of my favourite punk bands to see after seeing Reel Big Fish, New Found Glory, Millencolin and Offspring at Warped Tour, I'm going to be in my f**king element!!!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10690 times
Been liked: 1560 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby tazz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:46 pm

My day should go Alter Bridge, Ill Nino, Panic! at the Disco, Trivium, Alice in Chains, Korn, Rob Zombie, Devil Driver(part), Local Band? (stage 4 annex), A7X
TRENCH EFFECT GIGS
Sat. Aug 2. Producers Bar w/ Burn Collect, Guilt Free
Sat. Aug 9. Goolwa(Dowdodd Cres) w/ The Beaded Clams, Psychodelicacy
Sat Sept 13. Emu Hotel w/ Psycho Green, Mid-Riffs
Fri Sept 19. Nevrland(Light Hotel) w/ Arcane Saints(Melb)
tazz
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Gozu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:12 pm

When they arrived in Sydney Green Day played a 'secret show' at the Captain Cook Hotel which only holds about 200 people, they announced it on Twitter a few hours before hitting the stage and played a 12 song set.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/385 ... -missed-it
Gozu
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:34 am

Soundwave 2014

Firstly, the smallest crowd I have seen at any festival I’ve been too. That’s about 8 BDO’s and 5 Soundwaves. I would be surprised if there were 15,000 there. From parking (just off West Thebby Road near the Southwark) to the walk in, straight through the gates (where at 38 years of age I get asked for I.D…wtf?) and straight through bag checks/pat downs, everything was easy to access. Food, drinks, bar and toilets all had no lines ups at any stage of the day. Sweet.

Got there at 1 at my daughters request (she’s 13) to see Asking Alexandria. I hear a bit of them around the house so know some of it, surprised to enjoy their set as much as I did. Singer split the pit in two and in some type of Braveheart like battle scene summons both sides together in this brutal mash of bodies. Junior Boon (he’s 17) in amongst the thick of it with his mates. Crazy bastards. 1-1:45

Then back to the main stage for the Living End. 2-3:00. As always, fantastic show from them. Seen them over a dozen times, but they never get old. Chris Cheney is one of the best frontmen/lead guitarist combos I’ve seen. He’s brilliant. I also think the Gretsch he chooses is as classy as they come.

As noted, having seen them numerous times I took off just before 3 to go and witness the most remarkable of events. GWAR live on stage. If I had a $ for every person I saw mouth the words “What the f***?” or simply pissing themselves laughing I would have paid for my day, easily.

Let me start by saying GWAR are pretty talented musically. I’ve seen a bit of their performances on Youtube but have been more engrossed by their stage show, watching them live and listening to their music, they can play, they’re tight. They’re also batshit crazy and ******* hilarious! Queen Elizabeth joined them on stage with the Royal Baby, as the lead singer launches into “**** the Royal baby. **** all of you!”. Classic. The queen has both breasts severed, spewing blood about 8-10 deep in the crowd, she gets choked with the baby’s umbilical cord. I’m sure they’re not promoting senseless violence, just out and out mayhem. 2:40-3:20

Caught up with the Mrs and mates to watch some of Panic! At the Disco. Not a fan of theirs really so only caught about 4 songs of their set before I headed off to watch another of the daughters wish list, and mine. 3:30-3:50.

Back to the main stage set up for A Day to Remember. I’ve had their latest album spinning for the last week in the car and have really got into it. I saw them several months ago at Thebby Theatre and wasn’t sure about them, honestly hadn’t heard a lot of them I was there purely as a chaperone for my daughter and a friend. I rate them now, rate them quite highly. Not in an all time perspective, but they know how to put on a live show. Got in amongst the throng close to centre stage for the first part and then tailed off to the side with a lager sitting in the shade for the last bit of their set. They’re worth checking out if you have the chance. 4-5:00

Back to stage 6 for Suicide Silence. Again, hear them around the house coming out of various I-pod docks in the kids rooms, so I know a bit about them. Just over the “scream” line for my likes, throaty and incomprehensible lyrics are not my thing. Musically they do that breakdown type of stuff pretty well, I like them more now having seen them live. They go ok. 5:20-5:45

Made our way back to the main stage set-up for the last 15 minutes of Alice in Chains. I don’t know what they are, either I miss getting them or they’re shite. I think they’re shite.

Jimmy Eat World followed with their set of pop-punk-rock stuff, they must be Greenday’s side kicks as they toured with Greenday for the American Idiot tour. They’re tight, have a few songs everyone would know and play to the crowd well, but people clearly were waiting for Greenday. 6-7:00

The crowd was so small that at 6:45 ( 15 minutes before Greenday ) we easily found a spot about 10 deep centre stage for Greenday. The crowd swelled a little in the next 15 minutes but any other headline act I have seen at a festival would never have had people walking up so close, so late.

To be honest, a little disappointed with the show. Simply, it’s almost blow by blow the same show they’ve played the last 3 times I’ve seen them.

With 3 hours on stage and the type of back catalogue they have you’d think they would roll out 40 or more songs, nup. Billie Joe plays up to the crowd with plenty of “whoa whoa whoa” he sings it > the crowds singe it stuff.

King for a Day see’s Tre Cool chuck a bra over his shirt and take to the mike singing as poorly as he can, basically just playing the clown, which he does well.

They pick a kid out of the crowd to sing / stage dive / crowd surf. They get someone to play 3 chords for a chorus and then give them the guitar.

Don’t get me wrong, they do a great show but when you’ve seen it before and know whats coming it doesn’t really hit the mark. Still, they are one of my favorite bands and I’d see them again at any stage. 7-10

All in all I had a great day. One of my best mates and his wife came to their first BDO/Soundwave type thing and loved it. My daughter, at 13, came to her first and loved it. She got too see everyone she wanted, I got to see some of her and my lads stuff and enjoyed it. Really enjoyed it. Got exposed to some completely bizarre shit with Gwar and found some appreciation for A Day to Remember, Suicide Silence and Asking Alexandria.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Hefty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 am

Booney wrote:Soundwave 2014

Firstly, the smallest crowd I have seen at any festival I’ve been too. That’s about 8 BDO’s and 5 Soundwaves. I would be surprised if there were 15,000 there. From parking (just off West Thebby Road near the Southwark) to the walk in, straight through the gates (where at 38 years of age I get asked for I.D…wtf?) and straight through bag checks/pat downs, everything was easy to access. Food, drinks, bar and toilets all had no lines ups at any stage of the day. Sweet.

Got there at 1 at my daughters request (she’s 13) to see Asking Alexandria. I hear a bit of them around the house so know some of it, surprised to enjoy their set as much as I did. Singer split the pit in two and in some type of Braveheart like battle scene summons both sides together in this brutal mash of bodies. Junior Boon (he’s 17) in amongst the thick of it with his mates. Crazy bastards. 1-1:45

Then back to the main stage for the Living End. 2-3:00. As always, fantastic show from them. Seen them over a dozen times, but they never get old. Chris Cheney is one of the best frontmen/lead guitarist combos I’ve seen. He’s brilliant. I also think the Gretsch he chooses is as classy as they come.

As noted, having seen them numerous times I took off just before 3 to go and witness the most remarkable of events. GWAR live on stage. If I had a $ for every person I saw mouth the words “What the f***?” or simply pissing themselves laughing I would have paid for my day, easily.

Let me start by saying GWAR are pretty talented musically. I’ve seen a bit of their performances on Youtube but have been more engrossed by their stage show, watching them live and listening to their music, they can play, they’re tight. They’re also batshit crazy and ******* hilarious! Queen Elizabeth joined them on stage with the Royal Baby, as the lead singer launches into “**** the Royal baby. **** all of you!”. Classic. The queen has both breasts severed, spewing blood about 8-10 deep in the crowd, she gets choked with the baby’s umbilical cord. I’m sure they’re not promoting senseless violence, just out and out mayhem. 2:40-3:20

Caught up with the Mrs and mates to watch some of Panic! At the Disco. Not a fan of theirs really so only caught about 4 songs of their set before I headed off to watch another of the daughters wish list, and mine. 3:30-3:50.

Back to the main stage set up for A Day to Remember. I’ve had their latest album spinning for the last week in the car and have really got into it. I saw them several months ago at Thebby Theatre and wasn’t sure about them, honestly hadn’t heard a lot of them I was there purely as a chaperone for my daughter and a friend. I rate them now, rate them quite highly. Not in an all time perspective, but they know how to put on a live show. Got in amongst the throng close to centre stage for the first part and then tailed off to the side with a lager sitting in the shade for the last bit of their set. They’re worth checking out if you have the chance. 4-5:00

Back to stage 6 for Suicide Silence. Again, hear them around the house coming out of various I-pod docks in the kids rooms, so I know a bit about them. Just over the “scream” line for my likes, throaty and incomprehensible lyrics are not my thing. Musically they do that breakdown type of stuff pretty well, I like them more now having seen them live. They go ok. 5:20-5:45

Made our way back to the main stage set-up for the last 15 minutes of Alice in Chains. I don’t know what they are, either I miss getting them or they’re shite. I think they’re shite.

Jimmy Eat World followed with their set of pop-punk-rock stuff, they must be Greenday’s side kicks as they toured with Greenday for the American Idiot tour. They’re tight, have a few songs everyone would know and play to the crowd well, but people clearly were waiting for Greenday. 6-7:00

The crowd was so small that at 6:45 ( 15 minutes before Greenday ) we easily found a spot about 10 deep centre stage for Greenday. The crowd swelled a little in the next 15 minutes but any other headline act I have seen at a festival would never have had people walking up so close, so late.

To be honest, a little disappointed with the show. Simply, it’s almost blow by blow the same show they’ve played the last 3 times I’ve seen them.

With 3 hours on stage and the type of back catalogue they have you’d think they would roll out 40 or more songs, nup. Billie Joe plays up to the crowd with plenty of “whoa whoa whoa” he sings it > the crowds singe it stuff.

King for a Day see’s Tre Cool chuck a bra over his shirt and take to the mike singing as poorly as he can, basically just playing the clown, which he does well.

They pick a kid out of the crowd to sing / stage dive / crowd surf. They get someone to play 3 chords for a chorus and then give them the guitar.

Don’t get me wrong, they do a great show but when you’ve seen it before and know whats coming it doesn’t really hit the mark. Still, they are one of my favorite bands and I’d see them again at any stage. 7-10

All in all I had a great day. One of my best mates and his wife came to their first BDO/Soundwave type thing and loved it. My daughter, at 13, came to her first and loved it. She got too see everyone she wanted, I got to see some of her and my lads stuff and enjoyed it. Really enjoyed it. Got exposed to some completely bizarre shit with Gwar and found some appreciation for A Day to Remember, Suicide Silence and Asking Alexandria.

I love how they sugar-coat the crowd figure in the tiser'. 25,000+........where do they pull this figure from?? They wouldn't have had that figure when Metallica headlined and it was sold out!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertain ... 6842959634
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:17 pm

The smaller crowd was great, more room to move and I could get closer to the stages, I loved it. I watched Less Than Jake, The Living End, Zebrahead, Pennywise and Green Day. Less Than Jake and Zebrahead were great and Pennywise were nuts, bloody love that band. I've never seen Green Day before and I enjoyed their set bit I agree with Booney, should of played more songs with the time they had instead of the whoa, whoa, whoa bullshit, that was annoying. The Living End were great aswell although Richie f**king Sambora went over his arranged set time by almost 15 minutes, it was awful, he was f**king awful and it shit the crowd off where I was big time as everyone was waiting for The Living End to come on. I hate Bon Jovi so him playing their songs and going over the time it had on the timetable shit me to tears.

Apart from that I had a really good day, all the bands I went to see didn't disappoint.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10690 times
Been liked: 1560 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:34 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:The smaller crowd was great, more room to move and I could get closer to the stages, I loved it. I watched Less Than Jake, The Living End, Zebrahead, Pennywise and Green Day. Less Than Jake and Zebrahead were great and Pennywise were nuts, bloody love that band. I've never seen Green Day before and I enjoyed their set bit I agree with Booney, should of played more songs with the time they had instead of the whoa, whoa, whoa bullshit, that was annoying. The Living End were great aswell although Richie f**king Sambora went over his arranged set time by almost 15 minutes, it was awful, he was f**king awful and it shit the crowd off where I was big time as everyone was waiting for The Living End to come on. I hate Bon Jovi so him playing their songs and going over the time it had on the timetable shit me to tears.

Apart from that I had a really good day, all the bands I went to see didn't disappoint.

Saw Sambora sing "Dead or Alive", really poorly and the crowd either didn't know the words or didn't want to sing along. Then "Dont Change" INXS cover was shit.

Running over time into the Living End set was pretty average, agreed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Music