Artists that stop playing their most familiar material

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: Artists that stop playing their most familiar material

Postby fisho mcspaz » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:17 am

I seem to recall Tool playing a whole bunch of stuff I'd never heard before, but I just really like Tool regardless so I thought it was awesome.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Gozu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:33 am

heater31 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Pat Malone wrote:Silverchair don't really do any frogstomp, smashing pumpkins at v festival didn't anything besides their new cd.

Yeah, is carp that they don't. It's heaps better than their more recent stuff.

Daniel Johns is on record somewhere that he doesn't like that stuff anymore. I think he has a point too they were 14/15 years old when that album was written/recorded and now their music has evolved with time.

The band have moved on from the hard grunge to more easy listening music and with most albums selling well they must have some people who like their music

I think Silverchair might still play Israel's Son from Frogstomp but they refuse to play Tomorrow. Stopped playing it in the late 90's. Unfortunately they're just a niche pop rock band these days and while still reasonably popular here are almost unknown overseas these days. Their most popular album was Frogstomp and each successive album has sold less than the previous one.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 663 times

Postby Q. » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:42 am

Don't think much of silverchair, but I'll admit that I really like 'The Door'.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby RustyCage » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:01 am

The Silverchair thing is a shame, it would be great to hear Madman, Findaway, Suicidal Dream, Shade......

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features/8451/

Young Modern definitely satisfies Johns’ goal of making an “eccentric, psychedelic pop album with rock and roll elements”. It’s light years ahead of the band’s teen angst-ridden records Frogstomp and Freak Show. “To me, I honestly feel like our first record was Neon Ballroom,” admits Johns. “I’ve never felt any different. I don’t feel like our first two albums were Silverchair: that’s our teenage high school band. I don’t like them at all. I listen to them and go ‘That’s cute’, especially the first one, because Frogstomp we were 14. But the second one we’re like 16, I’m like ‘You’re getting older. You’re running out of chances’. Everyone in any band, no matter how good or how cool they’re believed to be, has got some kind of dark, high school band skeleton in their closet

Foo Fighters don't play Big Me anymore
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 934 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Gozu wrote:
heater31 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Pat Malone wrote:Silverchair don't really do any frogstomp, smashing pumpkins at v festival didn't anything besides their new cd.

Daniel Johns is on record somewhere that he doesn't like that stuff anymore. I think he has a point too they were 14/15 years old when that album was written/recorded and now their music has evolved with time.

The band have moved on from the hard grunge to more easy listening music and with most albums selling well they must have some people who like their music

I think Silverchair might still play Israel's Son from Frogstomp but they refuse to play Tomorrow. Stopped playing it in the late 90's. Unfortunately they're just a niche pop rock band these days and while still reasonably popular here are almost unknown overseas these days. Their most popular album was Frogstomp and each successive album has sold less than the previous one.

Tomorrow was their first single and was overplayed IMO. Israel's Son is my favourite song of theirs and is a much better song than Tomorrow.

Silverchair has changed so much over the years and have gone through so many genres it's not funny-
Grunge/Hard Rock,
Rock,
Alternative Rock,
Alternative,
and now Pop.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10702 times
Been liked: 1560 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby CK » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Gozu wrote:
heater31 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

I heartily wish that "Straight Lines" was among the songs they'd retire from their playlist, as well as radio :?
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:36 pm

x2 :vom:
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby mickey » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:53 pm

At their concert here last year, Corgan basically abused the crowd who wanted the old hits played... was a disapointing concert, especially for some1 who isnt a die hard fan...
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Gozu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:41 pm

CK wrote:I heartily wish that "Straight Lines" was among the songs they'd retire from their playlist, as well as radio :?

I started to lose interest in Silverchair around the time of Diorama but knew the band was dead to me as soon as I first heard Straight Lines. I still consider Freak Show an excellent album and there's some pretty good songs on Neon Ballroom. They're just the Daniel Johns Trio now anyway.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 663 times

Postby southee » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Silverchair now are one of the most self absurbed, pretentious artists of there.

I love the band The Church - who probably can be described the same......but they can pull it off. :prayer:

I remember when they released "Young Modern" I remember Molly Meldrum describing it as "better than Sgt. Pepper"....... :lol:

As soon as Paul Mac came into the picture with Siverchair it was the nail in their own coffin.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 868 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby CK » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:04 pm

southee wrote:Silverchair now are one of the most self absurbed, pretentious artists of there.

I love the band The Church - who probably can be described the same......but they can pull it off. :prayer:

I remember when they released "Young Modern" I remember Molly Meldrum describing it as "better than Sgt. Pepper"....... :lol:

As soon as Paul Mac came into the picture with Siverchair it was the nail in their own coffin.

It's not even better than Dr Pepper.

"Young Modern" is far too overblown and heavily produced to be taken seriously, IMHO. "Diorama" was the last of their better material. How "Straight Lines" won ARIA Song Of The Year is completely beyond me, that's up there with Madison Avenue winning that same award.

Back to the topic at hand, Supertramp are not able to play some of their best known material, since Roger Hodgson left the band. "The Logical Song", "Take The Long Way Home" and "Give A Little Bit" are among those that the current lineup virtually never play, for a number of reasons.
CK
Veteran

Postby Interceptor » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:28 pm

When Creedence Clearwater Revival broke up in 1972, John Fogerty still owed the label (Fantasy) that had royally screwed him over, a further 8 albums.
He eventually traded his rights to the CCR back catalog for a release to that contract in 1980.

Releasing solo albums in the 80's Fogerty refused to play the CCR songs that made him famous, partly blaiming performance royalties.
Unbelievably he was also sued by Fantasy for plagiarism, where they claimed "Old Man Down the Road" was a blatant rewrite of Fogerty's own song "Run Through the Jungle". Fogerty was cleared by a jury.

Fogerty ended his 15 year public ban on CCR songs in 1987.
He eventually regained the CCR rights in 2004 following the sale of Fantasy Records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedence#John_Fogerty
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby CK » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Interceptor wrote:When Creedence Clearwater Revival broke up in 1972, John Fogerty still owed the label (Fantasy) that had royally screwed him over, a further 8 albums.
He eventually traded his rights to the CCR back catalog for a release to that contract in 1980.

Releasing solo albums in the 80's Fogerty refused to play the CCR songs that made him famous, partly blaiming performance royalties.
Unbelievably he was also sued by Fantasy for plagiarism, where they claimed "Old Man Down the Road" was a blatant rewrite of Fogerty's own song "Run Through the Jungle". Fogerty was cleared by a jury.
Fogerty ended his 15 year public ban on CCR songs in 1987.
He eventually regained the CCR rights in 2004 following the sale of Fantasy Records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedence#John_Fogerty

That case remains one of the most astonishing music legal cases to ever make it to court. As Fogerty said - you can't plagarise yourself.
CK
Veteran

Postby JAS » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Back home in the late '70s Scaffold put on an openair concert at the end of a big weekend charity fete/fair that I'd been working at as a volunteer.

They absolutely refused point blank to play their No 1 hit Lily The Pink even though the crowd were going nuts screaming for it...announced they'd become sick to death of playing it and that was it. Everyone, of course, thought they must be kidding and keeping it until the encore but nope they never played it...played their other well known one 'Thank You Very Much'.

I suppose you can't blame some artists for getting sick of their own material afterall how quickly do we getting sick of a new song we thought was great the first few times we heard it when it gets played repeatedly on the radio these days.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:15 pm

Chris Bailey with various incarnations of The Saints refused to play I'm Stranded for years. It got to the point where at a gig in Sydney in 1986 The Saints were supporting The Damned and Bailey got into a full blown verbal brawl with the audience. When The Damned heard this they opened their set with I'm Stranded 8) .
My wife and I saw them (well Chris Bailey and backing band ;) )at The Corner in 2005 and he played Stranded, Erotic Neurotic, Know your Product and all the classic old stuff, so that self imposed band seems to have been lifted.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:My wife and I saw them (well Chris Bailey and backing band ;) )at The Corner in 2005 and he played Know your Product

Worth the price of admission just to see that one i reakon....
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 510 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:55 am

Mr66 wrote:How often does Pearl Jam do "Alive"?

Quite often actually, thank god! :D
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:56 am

Quichey wrote:Don't think much of silverchair, but I'll admit that I really like 'The Door'.

I reckon that's their best song Q-man.
That and Israel's Son.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:15 pm

pafc1870 wrote:Foo Fighters don't play Big Me anymore

They don't play much from their first album "Foo Fighters" at all, apart from "This is a Call".
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10702 times
Been liked: 1560 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Jack » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:29 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:Bob Dylan

Were you at the Dylan concert at the Ent Cent around the time of the movie starring Denzel Washington, "Hurricane" came out, obviously featuring that song and he wouldn't play it? Or anything else that anyone knew! And if we did, it was re-arranged to the point of being almost unrecognizable. Paul Kelly supported, and he did the same thing! Most frustrating concert I've ever been to! Dylan gave the crowd absolutely nothing between songs as well. The guy behind me stood up and yelled out at one stage "Talk to us, you dickhead!" Very grumpy old man, only in it for the money now, was the impression I got. :-q
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Music