Zep Boys @ The Gov

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Zep Boys @ The Gov

Postby JK » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:30 am

Don't suppose anyone from here's looking to get along to see them tomorrow or Sat night?
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mick » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:57 am

Saw 'em years ago, a great cover band. Too bloody old now and my hearing is shot :lol:
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby JK » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:08 am

Yeah ditto, saw them years ago (whenthis state seemed to have plenty of big name, high quality cover bands), can't remember where though, probably the Tivoli ... Will try to get there on Sat night for old times sake! :)
JK
Coach

Postby mick » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:19 am

I saw them at "Lennies" down the end of Anzac Highway
mick
League - Best 21

Postby JK » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:26 am

Remember the place very well, was like the level of schooling in my era went primary school, high school, Lennies :D
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:41 pm

Going on Friday night to see the Zep Boys.Last time I saw them was 10+ years ago as a highly strung/drunk late teen.Should appreciate their efforts to play Zeppelin more now,been playing guitar for a couple of years now and anything Page or Jones played is and will remain for some time out of my reach.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7538 times
Been liked: 10857 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:26 pm

I didn't know you've taken up the G-Tar there Boon. You should have started a little earlier to pick up some moves from Morgan.

ROCK ON

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1705 times
Been liked: 1824 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:33 pm

Mostly the Bass good man,have been "Jamming" with a few blokes for 18 months or so.We call ourselves AMC,(Australias Murder Capital),however there is a gang down here who use AMC to vandalise and destroy much of the public transport system,thus we will be dropping that when we arrive at a general concensus on a new name.
I do try to learn the 6 string,(got Pete's old acoustic+his small practice amp and electric),but these stubby fingers just dont like the 6 strings,4 fat Bass strings are much better.

We play from Greenday to The Clash,The undertones,Sabbath(poorly),Blink 182,Pearl Jam and 2 originals,luckily for me the guy who plays lead guitar is an old Bass player and I get many a tip from him.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7538 times
Been liked: 10857 times

Postby Ian » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:43 pm

Saw them at Lennies, and a few times at the Tiv'
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Re: Zep Boys @ The Gov

Postby smithy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:24 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:Don't suppose anyone from here's looking to get along to see them tomorrow or Sat night?

Great to see, but sadly can't go.
Went with a mate years ago to see the Zep Boys, Machine Head and Appetite for destruction play in a seedy bar in Port Adelaide.
Terrific night and the Zeps rendition of Moby Dick was one certainly worth waiting for.
smithy

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:34 am

Went to see the Zep Boys with High Voltage at the Bridgeway, New Years Eve 1989. Rocked hard, drank lots and became a father roughly nine months later. It was so long ago that I was game enough to take my shirt off in public...to do so these days would invite universal ridicule.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:04 am

I have to say that as someone who was involved in the Adelaide music scene in the 80's and saw many original bands refused gigs at venues because cover bands were getting them. I think that all cover bands should "be taken out and shot"!
But hey! That's just me! :wink:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:00 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:I have to say that as someone who was involved in the Adelaide music scene in the 80's and saw many original bands refused gigs at venues because cover bands were getting them. I think that all cover bands should "be taken out and shot"!

You make a fair point Lindy but you should also listen before you leap. My father and uncle were heavily involved and in the local/national/international folk scene and my old man had a sticker on his car that said 'Music..manned NOT canned'.

While the cover bands might not producing original material they are at least playing live music. Many bands did the cover version thing (yep, around the 80's they started to come out) BECAUSE they couldn't get gigs as an unknown local act. Live music and gigs are the best way to hone a band's skills, even if they do cover another.

The people who should be taken out and shot are the parasites of the music industry that have turned the Australian Rock Scene into 'Red faces' for TV ratings and local hotel owners who would rather have a room full of brain dead zombies flushing their dole cheques away on the Pokie machines rather than the atmosphere produced by a live act.

That's my rant. Hope you ROCKED ON.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby McAlmanac » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:21 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
You make a fair point Lindy but you should also listen before you leap. My father and uncle were heavily involved and in the local/national/international folk scene and my old man had a sticker on his car that said 'Music..manned NOT canned'.

While the cover bands might not producing original material they are at least playing live music. Many bands did the cover version thing (yep, around the 80's they started to come out) BECAUSE they couldn't get gigs as an unknown local act. Live music and gigs are the best way to hone a band's skills, even if they do cover another.

The people who should be taken out and shot are the parasites of the music industry that have turned the Australian Rock Scene into 'Red faces' for TV ratings and local hotel owners who would rather have a room full of brain dead zombies flushing their dole cheques away on the Pokie machines rather than the atmosphere produced by a live act.

That's my rant. Hope you ROCKED ON.

regards,

REB

Don't know who's in the Zep Boys now, but originally you had the likes of bassist Warwick Cheadle (from original band FAB who COULD get gigs), vocalist Vince Contarino (great voice for hire, but dependent on other musos) and guitarist Rob Pippin (gun session player who would hardly have been starving). They were seasoned players.

There was no Australian Idol and no pokies when these guys cashed in on being a cover band.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby mick » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:44 am

Leaping Lindner wrote:I have to say that as someone who was involved in the Adelaide music scene in the 80's and saw many original bands refused gigs at venues because cover bands were getting them. I think that all cover bands should "be taken out and shot"!

Bit hard Nick, I think it's a matter of knowing your limitations, not everyone can be a great song writer, I certainly would rather be entertained by a high quality cover band like the Zep boys than listen to fairly mediocre self indulgent original material (I'm a grumpy old bastard) then again it would also be pretty boring not to have bands playing their own stuff :D
mick
League - Best 21

Board index   General Talk  Music