Music Biographies

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: Music Biographies

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:03 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Not one for Leaping Lindy of course but if you are into Zeppelin Mick Wall's 'When Giants Walked the Earth' shades Steve Davis' 'Hammer of the Gods' although both are a good read.

But Lindy knows Punk wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the reaction against a bloated Zeppelin (and others of course) veering crazily off course in the late 70's. ;)

regards,

REB

Forever grateful Rik E Boy ;) $40 to go to a stadium or $1 to go to your local pub. 8)

A bit more than 40 bills for that o2 show I believe! :shock:

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Plumb » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 am

Dream Brother - The story of Jeff and Tim Buckley was a great read. Although not a big fan, really struggled to put down The Dirt - Motley Crue.
Plumb
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby CK » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Wouldn't normally qualify as music biographies, but made the mistake of borrowing a Paula Yates biography from the library. Both discuss Bob Geldof and Michael Hutchence in considerable depth, as well as her time in music shows in the UK. Can't remember what the book is called now fortunately, because it was one of the worst things I've ever attempted to wade through.

The writer had a distant relationship with punctuation at the best of times, and it was little we didn't already know about Yates, such as sticking a picture of Hutchence on her fridge and vowing she would have him, after their first meeting. I did make the mistake of trying the second Yates bio in the library, but amazingly found it worse. Too many issues to list.

As far as top ones go, very difficult to go past INXS - Story To Story. Pulls no punches at all about everything in the band, gives interesting insight into how Michael Hutchence changed as a person after being bashed overseas, and gives starkly indepth insights into all band members, including their relationships. If you've read some of the poorer INXS books, and the Michael Hutchence biography by Vince Lovegrove takes this unwanted prize (diabolically bad, just avoid it), then try this to give some very interesting information about the band.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Music