29%
2. Hagar - End Of story
29%
3. Both - Great music in their own ways
41%

Total votes : 17

Van Halen lead singer

Postby JK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:21 pm

OK, as a very casual VH admirer (always liked their music, but known relatively little about the band) was chatting with a mate tonight, who reckons Roth was that much better than Hagar, the latter's name didn't even deserve a mention so figured I would put it out there to the bigger fans who've followed this band closely (REB IIRC you're one).

Obviously I've since learnt about Cherone, so will leave him out of this.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: Van Halen lead singer

Postby southee » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:41 pm

Have been listening to VH of late.....really hard call.

Roth - Energy plus!!! Full showman, right out there, flamboyant.....really rock and roll tunes without much keyboards (until Eddie bought them in for the album 1984....to Roth's disgust!!!)

Hagar - bit more serious, great voice, great songwriter (he was a pretty successful solo artist before he joined VH), songwriting took a more commercial, melodic feel to it.

I voted both in their own ways....but really I think I like Hagar's song's better than Roth's. Roth for the show......Hagar for the songs. ;)
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

As the poll was asking the "Best lead singer" it has to be Hagar.

Although Roth probably produced a better catalogue of works Hagars vocal ability outweighted Roths IMO.

Listen to 5150 enough and Hagar is so, so solid.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7541 times
Been liked: 10870 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:44 am

Van Halen produced a lot of good songs but not so many good albums. By the time Hagar joined the band the ideas were starting to run a bit thin. Booney has mentioned 5150 but for the straight ahead Rock that is Van Halen's signature you can't go past Mine all mine, the hard rocking opener on the album OU812 which was an album that appeared to be trying to cover too many bases although Black and Blue churns it out as well.

Van Halen's best album was it's first with 1984 second and perhaps Women and Children First ahead of 5150. Like Booney said Roth had the greater catalogue of works but Hager is the better vocallist. I voted for the both option in the end.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1707 times
Been liked: 1824 times

Postby Hondo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:04 am

I was a big VH fan but only "jumped" 8) on board with their most famous single of off the 1984 album so don't have a good feel for their work before then. I have every Van Halen CD from 1984 until the dreadful (IMO) "Balance" after which time I lost interest. I thought 1984 had some great songs but half of the album (tape!) was made up of forgettable fillers to my musical taste.

I played 5150 and OU812 over and over. I liked For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge too but less so and was really let down by Balance.

So I voted Hagar but I'm being unfair in only taking 1984 into account in the case for Roth.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:11 am

Hondo wrote:I was a big VH fan but only "jumped" 8) on board with their most famous single of off the 1984 album so don't have a good feel for their work before then. I have every Van Halen CD from 1984 until the dreadful (IMO) "Balance" after which time I lost interest. I thought 1984 had some great songs but half of the album (tape!) was made up of forgettable fillers to my musical taste.

I played 5150 and OU812 over and over. I liked For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge too but less so and was really let down by Balance.

So I voted Hagar but I'm being unfair in only taking 1984 into account in the case for Roth.

I reckon every Van Halen album has some filler with the exception of the debut album. For me only 'Top Jimmy' is a downer on 1984. I like Drop Dead Legs and also House of pain and Girl gone Bad which are the other tracks that aren't as well known as Jump, Hot for Teacher, Panama and I'll wait.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1707 times
Been liked: 1824 times

Postby CK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:01 am

Hagar for pure vocal ability. If it came down to entertainment value only, Lee Roth without much doubt, though.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Hondo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 am

@REB

I think it's just personal taste. For me, I found songs like the ones you mentioned sort of forgettable. Others would find the more melodic stuff on 5150 forgettable. I know VH fans that hated what happened to their music after Roth left and Eddie Van Halen discovered the keyboards. You're right that there are fillers on 5150 on OU812. For my musical tastes there were less of them.

I am a sucker for keyboards and the melodies I think.
Last edited by Hondo on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:11 am

I only listened to Diver Down about a month ago, not their best work but Eddie still manages to shred some sound riffs.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7541 times
Been liked: 10870 times

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:25 am

Like Joe Dirt said: Van Halen, NOT Van Hagar...
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Cheese Twisties » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Dont really know all their work, but like them enough to vote for both!

"The Best of Both Worlds" from 5150 is the perfect rock song IMHO, awesome vocals, sicks riffs, and a great chorus!

Anyone get in to that "Chickenfoot" album from a few years back? Featured Sammy Hagar on vocals with Joe Satriani and the Chilli Peppers drummer.
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Board index   General Talk  Music