SFL - Two divisions or one?

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Two divisions - Div 1 with 8 and Div 2 with 7 (both top four)
65%
One division - Div 1 with 15 and (top 8 )
35%

Total votes : 57

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:17 am

No fence sitters, are you in the one division camp or two divisions (similar to the structure in the 90's)
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: SFL - Two divisions or one?

Postby aceman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:No fence sitters, are you in the one division camp or two divisions (similar to the structure in the 90's)

As an outsider, surely the 2 divisions would be the best way to go, having promotion/relegation for 1 club at season end.
Eight clubs in Div 1 gives almost equal number of games whereas 1 div of 15 clubs apart from byes will be a shambles to do the draw with clubs being disadvantaged or otherwise because of it.
If my club were involved I would strongly recommend the 2 divisions, unfortunately the bye in div 2 can't be avoided but with stronger clubs in div 1, it gives the others something to aspire to and achieve.

Good luck whichever way it goes, those are just my thoughts.
The sooner the HFL gets into this system, the better the footy will become in their league too!
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Jayne » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:03 pm

Close call... More teams would change my vote to split divs...
Jayne
Rookie

Postby Backliner » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:15 pm

Interested to hear of other leagues with 15 teams or more? Seems a bit ridiculous to me even with 10 or more. If the SANFL does step in and delegate which teams play where I can see it benefitting lower placed clubs, obviously some noses would be out of joint but that's life, can't please everyone. The SANFL has 9 teams, perfect IMO. The AFL has 16 but has concessions in place for weaker teams ie Draft picks or extra money Ie Brisbane / Sydney to recruit because of lower player recruitment options.
Backliner
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby vics01 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:54 pm

2 Divisions the way to go. Works well elsewhere in SA and interstate. Would create a more even comp. and a much more even draw for all clubs. wake up sfl.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Courtney Fish » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Backliner wrote:Interested to hear of other leagues with 15 teams or more? Seems a bit ridiculous to me even with 10 or more. If the SANFL does step in and delegate which teams play where I can see it benefitting lower placed clubs, obviously some noses would be out of joint but that's life, can't please everyone. The SANFL has 9 teams, perfect IMO. The AFL has 16 but has concessions in place for weaker teams ie Draft picks or extra money Ie Brisbane / Sydney to recruit because of lower player recruitment options.

If the SANFL gets its way with the Community Football Committee or whatever its called they will probably just send the Shoes and Sharks of to the GSFL and Flaggies and Valleys to Hills to even up the leagues. RMFL with 7 Teams could use a few.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:18 am

Courtney Fish wrote:
Backliner wrote:Interested to hear of other leagues with 15 teams or more? Seems a bit ridiculous to me even with 10 or more. If the SANFL does step in and delegate which teams play where I can see it benefitting lower placed clubs, obviously some noses would be out of joint but that's life, can't please everyone. The SANFL has 9 teams, perfect IMO. The AFL has 16 but has concessions in place for weaker teams ie Draft picks or extra money Ie Brisbane / Sydney to recruit because of lower player recruitment options.

If the SANFL gets its way with the Community Football Committee or whatever its called they will probably just send the Shoes and Sharks of to the GSFL and Flaggies and Valleys to Hills to even up the leagues. RMFL with 7 Teams could use a few.

I've often wondered if the Hawks have entertained the idea of joining Hill Country. 1. More competitive 2. furthest away game I image would be no different than the twisites or towns 3. Their closer to the hills than the sharks who entertained the idea earlier in the year. 4. Offers a distinct contrast (SFL versus Hills) to the Emu's (closest recruiting rivals) which may appeal to some.

That said, rightly or wrongly, the hawks have a reputation, and if they did apply, the Hills might roll up the welcome mat?
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby Pag » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:17 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:

I've often wondered if the Hawks have entertained the idea of joining Hill Country. 1. More competitive 2. furthest away game I image would be no different than the twisites or towns 3. Their closer to the hills than the sharks who entertained the idea earlier in the year. 4. Offers a distinct contrast (SFL versus Hills) to the Emu's (closest recruiting rivals) which may appeal to some.

That said, rightly or wrongly, the hawks have a reputation, and if they did apply, the Hills might roll up the welcome mat?
Mate, this came up with Aldinga. Kersbrook and Gumeracha are a bit further away than Morphy Park.

From an outsider's perspective, the SFL needs a promotion/relegation system. If the comp gets to 16 teams that would be the point where it has to happpen.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby aceman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:31 pm

aceman wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:No fence sitters, are you in the one division camp or two divisions (similar to the structure in the 90's)

As an outsider, surely the 2 divisions would be the best way to go, having promotion/relegation for 1 club at season end.
Eight clubs in Div 1 gives almost equal number of games whereas 1 div of 15 clubs apart from byes will be a shambles to do the draw with clubs being disadvantaged or otherwise because of it.
If my club were involved I would strongly recommend the 2 divisions, unfortunately the bye in div 2 can't be avoided but with stronger clubs in div 1, it gives the others something to aspire to and achieve.

I guess the answer is at the top of the page, the majority says 2 divisions so far by a fair margin.
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby Backliner » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:45 pm

We had 15 teams with Kangarilla, probably be 15 team comp 2009.
Aldinga to GSFL - would make sense, that's where a lot of our locals play footy.
Backliner
Under 18s

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:23 pm

Backliner wrote:We had 15 teams with Kangarilla, probably be 15 team comp 2009.
Aldinga to GSFL - would make sense, that's where a lot of our locals play footy.

GSFL will never be an 11 team comp. Aldinga have tried previously to enter the GSFL and been denied. Unfortunatly the Sharks have gained a 'reputation' that is disliked by the GSFL panel. Not throwing stones and no disrespect but that is what I have heard.
Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Backliner » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:37 pm

That reputation is probably warranted in the past, different club nowadays. Even had the B grade coach trying hard not to swear during pep talks to keep the 'church' going players happy as we have a fair few of them now (I'm serious), funny at first but I can see the point as it's about respect, he did a pretty good job at it too.
Pete the barman is quick to turn people away from the bar if had a few and is supported by the committee, guidelines followed for 'Goodsports' endorsement. No incidents this year.
Helmets banned
Happy hours gone
Play area setup for all the babies/toddlers on game day.
The whole culture has changed in the last 5 - 7 years and that has been a good thing.
Backliner
Under 18s

Postby Pag » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:30 pm

That Good Sports stuff is gonna kill clubs bar takings...
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby ChocolateNBlue » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:46 pm

Two division in the SFL is the way to go, looking in from the outside for the past eight years the top sides arent getting any worse and the bottom sides arent getting any better. Ladder positions have changed, but its still the same sides in the top and bottom halves.
ChocolateNBlue

Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby MatteeG » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:38 pm

2 divisions is great if there are at least 8 clubs in each division and they all have the full compliment of juniors.

I played in the final year of Div 2 in Southern and it was a disgrace. 6 teams, you played each team 4 times. Absolute shag show.

*Commence dream*

Ideally 2 divs of 10, once again with full juniors for each club. Play each other Home and Away. Then final 5.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

*Dream over*
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Bag The Points » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Backliner wrote:That reputation is probably warranted in the past, different club nowadays. Even had the B grade coach trying hard not to swear during pep talks to keep the 'church' going players happy as we have a fair few of them now (I'm serious), funny at first but I can see the point as it's about respect, he did a pretty good job at it too.
Pete the barman is quick to turn people away from the bar if had a few and is supported by the committee, guidelines followed for 'Goodsports' endorsement. No incidents this year.
Helmets banned
Happy hours gone
Play area setup for all the babies/toddlers on game day.
The whole culture has changed in the last 5 - 7 years and that has been a good thing.

Fantastic to read this, Backliner ! --- makes my soft spot for the Sharks grow even warmer.
The family atmosphere sounds magnificent, and as a churchgoer myself I believe that aspect won't do the club any harm at all.
Really hope Aldinga rockets up the ladder now !!! :) :)
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:02 pm

ChocolateNBlue wrote:Two division in the SFL is the way to go, looking in from the outside for the past eight years the top sides arent getting any worse and the bottom sides arent getting any better. Ladder positions have changed, but its still the same sides in the top and bottom halves.

Your kidding aren't you?

Noarlunga played in a few GF's in this period but would be far from that at the moment (sorry Shoe boy).
Marion in the same boat have 1 a flag in that period but a shadow of their former selves.
Cove have just won their first flag and weren't the premiers of the last year of the old Div 2 comp.
Even Morphett Vale only just scraped into the 8 in the first year of 1 Division so to say its the same teams for the last 8 years is well off the mark.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby shoe boy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
ChocolateNBlue wrote:Two division in the SFL is the way to go, looking in from the outside for the past eight years the top sides arent getting any worse and the bottom sides arent getting any better. Ladder positions have changed, but its still the same sides in the top and bottom halves.

Your kidding aren't you?

Noarlunga played in a few GF's in this period but would be far from that at the moment (sorry Shoe boy).
Marion in the same boat have 1 a flag in that period but a shadow of their former selves.
Cove have just won their first flag and weren't the premiers of the last year of the old Div 2 comp.
Even Morphett Vale only just scraped into the 8 in the first year of 1 Division so to say its the same teams for the last 8 years is well off the mark.

Spot on ZC I totally agree.
In saying that we (Noarlunga) have a 1st class commitee and put in place directions for our club to be a club that wins finals in ALL grades and to do that we had to have some pain and blood juniors that have come from our mini's and this year 15 got to taste A grade footy,next year 12 come up to senior footy and this is the first time the footy club has had this.
We are sick to death of the highs and lows that we have had for to long and you WILL see a consistant footy club in ALL grades in the future. As I have posted previously Brighton(and great to see their 18 win a flag after watching this group from 16 to 18 have some pain in the past years and to see them win was deserving) M/Vale and Cove have led the way and we will follow the example that has been set. :)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:27 pm

MatteeG wrote:2 divisions is great if there are at least 8 clubs in each division and they all have the full compliment of juniors.

I played in the final year of Div 2 in Southern and it was a disgrace. 6 teams, you played each team 4 times. Absolute shag show.

*Commence dream*

Ideally 2 divs of 10, once again with full juniors for each club. Play each other Home and Away. Then final 5.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

*Dream over*

Don't ever move to the country, it's full of leagues with between four and seven teams: Riverland (RFL and Independent) great flinders, kangaroo island, eastern eyre, far west, river murray, port lincoln, mid west, mid murray, mallee, and broken hill.

Oh, and you might have to travel more than half and hour for a game....
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby Bag The Points » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:04 pm

Shoes will be Flag contenders again within two or three years.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL