COVE v WILLUNGA

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: COVE v WILLUNGA

Postby Grape Ape » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Kart Horse wrote:
lion heart wrote:
Brock Landers wrote:
shoe boy wrote:Did Cove have a few lads out?

I heard they only had around 7 from last years premiership side playing. Not sure who.

I know Coves number 1 priority will be winning the 2009 GF but its a little disappointing that they didnt field a stronger side on saturday. The reputation of the SFL is at stake !!!

They did have alot out but their A grade cricket side had and won their GF that day, plus clipsal and a number of injuries cant be helped and wouldnt have thought a major priority considering round 1 so close

So trial games too hard for most SFL players eh?
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Bruce Almighty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:04 am

if the cove boys would rather drink at clipsal than test themselves against quality oppostion 2 weeks before the season starts it shows that the sfl is a bit of a mickey mouse league doesn't it?
Bruce Almighty

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Jono » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:14 am

12 out for whatever reason i could count at least 7 watching in the stands so don't think the cricket or the clipsal was a worry!! I am sure Cove would be happy for anyother team to have played against Willunga if some of the SFL clubs are so worried about results in March and winning a mickey mouse cup... From what i can gather Cove are worried about the SFL season and then being in a position come September and didn't risk guys that were not fully fit!!
Jono
Rookie

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:18 am

Is it September already??

Bruce at the end of the day its a glorified trial game why risk players that might not be ready?

Not sure of exact details but I'm pretty sure SFL was beating GSFL pretty convincingly year in year out when they canned Lovelock Shield does that make GSFL a Minnie Mouse League??
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby lion heart » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:45 am

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Is it September already??

Bruce at the end of the day its a glorified trial game why risk players that might not be ready?

Not sure of exact details but I'm pretty sure SFL was beating GSFL pretty convincingly year in year out when they canned Lovelock Shield does that make GSFL a Minnie Mouse League??

Hahaaaaa comedy gold ZC. =))

Bring back lovelock shield i say.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby BJ Ernest » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:43 am

lion heart wrote:

Hahaaaaa comedy gold ZC. =))

Bring back lovelock shield i say.

Absolutely bring it back. Get the spirit back into association football because at the moment it lacks the spark to attract the best players from the comps, with the GSFL making it an under 25 game (with a few over) it takes the best players out of the running to play (some at least).

It was a trial game, but the SFL directors were very disappointed Saturday night with the effort Cove put up on Saturday. Speaking with some Cove officials aswell and they didnt realise that there was such an importance on it and didnt prepare for it properly and in their words if they get another chance to play they will take it much more seriously.

ZC u discredit the game but Morphies didnt take it easy last year (hilly was spewing) and i know trial results count for not much but i can guarantee u that the result matters when its built up to be the premiers of the 2 comps and theres pride at stake.

Bring on Round 1!
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:57 am

Not discrediting the game BJ, as I am sure anyone on the field, would've busted their gut to win. What I am saying is that had it been for premiership points or a flag the teams would have been different.

I agree losing last year by a point was a bit disappointing but there were players missing from that game for various reasons as well. The only true way to settle the rivalry between leagues would be Lovelock Shield.

Interesting that it seems everyone on here would like to see it return but as per usual league execs don't seem to pay too much attention to anyone but themselves.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby lion heart » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Im sure some of the league execs read SAfooty. The people have spoken bring it back!! Im pretty sure the main reason it ceased was Southern's domination especially in junior ranks. Even if the lovelock shield wasnt back to the original format im sure SFL and GSFL could square off against each other?
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby Toughcall » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:29 pm

A new GSFL exec will be pushing for the Lovelock returned. In the meantime Willunga are proving the GSFL is the top competition and did it on the weekend embarassingly easy. No excuses it was a game between two premiers and SFLs premiers couldn't match it. It shows Willunga would dominate the SFL like it does the GSFL if it plyed in it.
Toughcall
Under 16s

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:32 pm

Whats the Lovelock Shield?

Ive only played one season in the SFL.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby lion heart » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:02 pm

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:Whats the Lovelock Shield?

Ive only played one season in the SFL.

Lovelock was a carnival held annually over June long weekend. Four associations (SFL,GSFL,Hills,RMFL) competed for the title. Two games would be played saturday and the winners would meet on the Monday for the honour of being crowned the winner. There was great rivalry and generally the players really embraced the concept (unlike current) and enjoyed the weekend. The also played junior and senior colts.
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby DILLIGAF » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 pm

Toughcall wrote:A new GSFL exec will be pushing for the Lovelock returned. In the meantime Willunga are proving the GSFL is the top competition and did it on the weekend embarassingly easy. No excuses it was a game between two premiers and SFLs premiers couldn't match it. It shows Willunga would dominate the SFL like it does the GSFL if it plyed in it.

doubt that mate they would make the finals but wouldnt dominate the league
Does It Look Like I Give A F**k
SEE YA LATER!!!
DILLIGAF
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Bag The Points » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Not quite right, ZC. Over ther last five years (maybe even more) of the Lovelock GSFL was winning it regularly, SFL wasn't making that much impression.
The reason the Lovelock crashed was because GSFL and RML wanted to go it alone ---- something to do with the ages of the colts Shields. And yes, that had a lot to do with SFL colts dominating both the Parker and the Croser.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Bag The Points » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:35 pm

DILLIGAF wrote:
Toughcall wrote:A new GSFL exec will be pushing for the Lovelock returned. In the meantime Willunga are proving the GSFL is the top competition and did it on the weekend embarassingly easy. No excuses it was a game between two premiers and SFLs premiers couldn't match it. It shows Willunga would dominate the SFL like it does the GSFL if it plyed in it.

Got to be joking Dilli, they'd more than make the finals. Think you'd find they'd be up where Morphett have been. Try "regular Grand Finalists".
I agree they wouldn't be a one team domination, but over the past half-decade they'd have been generally part of a two-team dominance with the Emus.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Yetti » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Bag The Points wrote:

Not quite right, ZC. Over ther last five years (maybe even more) of the Lovelock GSFL was winning it regularly, SFL wasn't making that much impression.
The reason the Lovelock crashed was because GSFL and RML wanted to go it alone ---- something to do with the ages of the colts Shields. And yes, that had a lot to do with SFL colts dominating both the Parker and the Croser.

Pretty sure it was the Hills who pulled the pin BTP. and yes mostly because of juniors, where the SFL dominated.
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Bag The Points » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Don't know where you got that from Yetti ----- Hills actually stuck with Southern for a couple of years trying to keep some sort of contest together after GSFL and RML had pulled out to go it alone.
It was mainly GSFL who wanted colts ages changed, and that led to the pull-out.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Toughcall » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:10 pm

DILLIGAF wrote:

The point was made on the weekend with Willunga showing Cove how to play footy. If they weren't serious, which is an easy cop out after being belted, that is not the fault of Willunga.
Toughcall
Under 16s

Postby rodney fox » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:25 pm

Have to agree toughcall twice the SFL premiers have made excuses about not filling full strength sides and have been beaten, last year not as comprehensively but at the moment SFL does not have any reasons to say we would win after losing both games in the 2 years.

We could whinge about not having full strength sides all year but until we play to win even if it is a pre season comp Willunga have the stick on us. Plain and simple really.

We all know it's not for points but I can assure you if we were lucky enough to be in the position of playing for the reputation of the SFL we'd use it as a flat out hit out and aim to win. Before everyone whinges about injuries, if you're worried about hurting yourself there's an easy answer, don't play footy. There are always risks everytime you step onto the field so harden up.
rodney fox
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby spanner » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:54 pm

[quote="rodney fox"]Have to agree toughcall twice the SFL premiers have made excuses about not filling full strength sides and have been beaten, last year not as comprehensively but at the moment SFL does not have any reasons to say we would win after losing both games in the 2 years.

Last Year Steve Hill took the game very seriously and played the fittest first choice players that were available at that time of the year. I think you will find no one was rested if fit and ready to go.
Being beaten by 1p means you lost the game but certainly gave it a crack
spanner
Rookie

Postby Deemu » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:33 pm

It wasn't year in year out, i did see the gsfl lay out a few slappings in my time.
Deemu
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL