C Grade 2008

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

C Grade 2008

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:16 am

How did the C grade end up in 2008?
How many teams and which clubs had teams?
Is it still a viable comp?
What was the starting time on Sundays this year?
Haven't played for a few years but still keen to see how its going as we used to have a lot of fun playing on Sundays, I remember how at the Shoe we were turning more over the bar on some Sunday nights than the As and Bs did on a Saturday! :lol:
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2140 times
Been liked: 4078 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: C Grade 2008

Postby The Mexican » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:18 am

Go you EMU'S this weekend...!!! :D
Viva La Raza..!!!
The Mexican
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby vics01 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:20 am

8 teams Morphett Vale the standout yet again. Start time was 1.00 p.m. SFL if serious will need to address this time very early on a Sunday for young blokes after a Saturday night. C grade should start at 2.00 with the Sunday 14 and 16 preceeding them. Pretty good comp this year a few clubs struggled at times with shortages due to injuries and other things, but all in all good clean footy. A good chance for clubs to give some young fellas a run against men in a grade at moderate pace.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks for the info guys, I used to love playing in it and some decent players who worked on Saturdays quite often ran around.
In my last year or 2 they actually moved start times from 2pm to 12 noon, that was a disaster, us poor fat hungover bastards really struggled with those start times! :roll:
I wonder if I still hold the record for the worst kicking in a 50 game career ever? 1 goal 13 points. :oops:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Bag The Points » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:27 am

Morphies playing Port in this Sunday's Grandy. Valley and Cove were the other finalists.
Missing finals were Flagstaff, Brighton, Reynella and Christies.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:29 am

Bag The Points wrote:Morphies playing Port in this Sunday's Grandy. Valley and Cove were the other finalists.
Missing finals were Flagstaff, Brighton, Reynella and Christies.

Thanks mate, where's it going to be played?
And Christ, Porties still making GFs! They used to dominate every year when I played (againt the likes of Cooky, Hooper, etc)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Bag The Points » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:44 am

grandy at Christies, and you won't like the time ---- 12 Noon
Port were sitting second behind Morphett for most of the year. Now back as a C-Grade strength aftwr a few years down the ladder.
Flagstaff Premiers last year, beating Morphett in Grand Final upset. Amazingly had to forfeit their last few games in 2008.
Before that Happy Valley and Brighton dominated half a decade. The Valley won three in a row, beating Brighton each time, after Brighton had won the previous two. (Bombers in five straight Grandies).
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Cheese Twisties » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:03 pm

Bag The Points wrote:grandy at Christies, and you won't like the time ---- 12 Noon
Port were sitting second behind Morphett for most of the year. Now back as a C-Grade strength aftwr a few years down the ladder.
Flagstaff Premiers last year, beating Morphett in Grand Final upset. Amazingly had to forfeit their last few games in 2008.
Before that Happy Valley and Brighton dominated half a decade. The Valley won three in a row, beating Brighton each time, after Brighton had won the previous two. (Bombers in five straight Grandies).

I believe Porties C grade this year has been stronger than their B grade team?

The GF is rematch of the the first final, where Morphies got a good result and won by around 5 goals. I think Porties had a few out that day so it should be cracker on Sunday! Definately be getting down there to cheer on the lads.
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby The Mexican » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:
Bag The Points wrote:grandy at Christies, and you won't like the time ---- 12 Noon

The GF is rematch of the the first final, where Morphies got a good result and won by around 5 goals. I think Porties had a few out that day so it should be cracker on Sunday! Definately be getting down there to cheer on the lads.

Nice to see you have your confidence back CT and posting freely, has the Diver gone under ground or something..??
Viva La Raza..!!!
The Mexican
Under 18s

Postby Cheese Twisties » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:15 pm

The Mexican wrote:
Cheese Twisties wrote:

Nice to see you have your confidence back CT and posting freely, has the Diver gone under ground or something..??

Well Mex let me tell you there is nothing like making a post that revolutionises the entire SFL thread structure to really boost ones confidence...!!

And as for our old pal, the pesky Ex Diver, well lets hope we run in to him at the Emus vs Porties clash this sunday and we can finally bury the hatchet. Id really like for us to be friends :partyman:
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Postby The Mexican » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:
The Mexican wrote:
Cheese Twisties wrote:

Well Mex let me tell you there is nothing like making a post that revolutionises the entire SFL thread structure to really boost ones confidence...!!

And as for our old pal, the pesky Ex Diver, well lets hope we run in to him at the Emus vs Porties clash this sunday and we can finally bury the hatchet. Id really like for us to be friends :partyman:

Unlikely given his current geographical location... I was talking to BRD the other night and he informs me that one of the boys at the club drives a beaten up limo and that it will be present at the GF, sounds like a bit of fun, i'll be making sure i come over and have a beer...!!
Viva La Raza..!!!
The Mexican
Under 18s

Postby Cheese Twisties » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:52 pm

Hey is that so Mex... wow if the SFL bucks its normal trend of charging admittance per person and changes it to per car load then this limo could be chocked full of Morphies patrons and the driver could win himself some much needed friends for the day... lets also hope that this beaten up limo can deal with the uphill gradient of Beach road on the way home... otherwise it may be left stranded in Bice oval car park for the likes of Screach and Exelby/Lynch/Groom/Leigh Mathews or whoever else is there next year!
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Postby UpTheShoes » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:53 pm

Cant wait for this game Sunday. Tipping Porties to win, young mob will be fired up to win!
UpTheShoes
Mini-League

Postby cyclops » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:20 pm

M/vale dominated another season of c grade but dont be surprised if we lose the big one again,its become bit of a tradition.
cyclops

Postby tatts » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:39 am

Great win by the Emus C grade.I think they were headed once maybe but really played a great finals brand of footy.Well done boys.The 1st of a few we hope !!!!!
If the only reason you play is for a beer with your mates after the game,your playing for the wrong reasons !!
tatts
Rookie

Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Reader » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:39 am

I was lucky enough to have a look at this game and I was impressed with the standard and pace of the game. I was a little bemused by two things on the day. One was the yellow card happy actions of the umpires for what seemed minor incidents in the context of a grand final the other was the best on ground given to the Morphett Vale’s tall full forward. I for one thought that the tall no. 24 CHF/Ruck for Morphett Vale was good all game closely followed by the smaller utility forward no. 19.

Congratulations to Morphett Vale on the win.
Reader
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Reader wrote:I was lucky enough to have a look at this game and I was impressed with the standard and pace of the game. I was a little bemused by two things on the day. One was the yellow card happy actions of the umpires for what seemed minor incidents in the context of a grand final the other was the best on ground given to the Morphett Vale’s tall full forward. I for one thought that the tall no. 24 CHF/Ruck for Morphett Vale was good all game closely followed by the smaller utility forward no. 19.

Pretty well on the money there Reader with 19, Dean "Nash" Pannunzio, getting the nod as best on ground by the coaching staff.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby cyclops » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Reader wrote:I was lucky enough to have a look at this game and I was impressed with the standard and pace of the game. I was a little bemused by two things on the day. One was the yellow card happy actions of the umpires for what seemed minor incidents in the context of a grand final the other was the best on ground given to the Morphett Vale’s tall full forward. I for one thought that the tall no. 24 CHF/Ruck for Morphett Vale was good all game closely followed by the smaller utility forward no. 19.

Pretty well on the money there Reader with 19, Dean "Nash" Pannunzio, getting the nod as best on ground by the coaching staff.

young sammy sloan couldnt have been too far away surely.
cyclops

Postby Off The Wall » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Harris shouldnt have gotten it, easily 24 for Morphett Vale was better. Think it was more of a "You've done well and gotten us here this year" award.
Off The Wall
Under 16s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:02 pm

cyclops wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:

young sammy sloan couldnt have been too far away surely.

I think he got 2nd or 3rd. The memories of those couple of hours are a little hazy.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 73 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL