SFL Grand Final - that second last Saturday in September...

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

SFL Grand Final - that second last Saturday in September...

Postby Cheese Twisties » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:56 am

What does everyone think of playing the GF at Panther land? Having played in a couple, and watched even more, I don't really rate the cold and sterile atmosphere of South Adelaide and wish they would move it back to a suburban oval.

I would nominate Noarlunga as the Grand Final oval. I wouldn't allow any other finals to be played there, and id keep say Porties as a back up ground if Noarlunga happened to be contesting the GF, and Bice oval third if Porties and Noarlunga made the GF (perish the thought :) ). As for the profits of the bar/canteen/gate ive no idea how its worked now but id have some sort of of rotation policy with different clubs supplying the volunteers/taking the profits etc etc.

Is Noarlunga too far away from the Northern clubs? Too many issues with crowd security? Happy with South Adelaide? Any thoughts?
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Re: SFL Grand Final - that second last Saturday in September...

Postby Brock Landers » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:04 am

I've only seen one grand final at South and it didn't feel like a local grand final. I wasn't a fan.

Would there be enough room at (Old) Noarlunga for the crowd though?
Brock Landers
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Swooper16 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:04 am

Dont think Noarlunga would be able to hold all the people, nowhere near enough parking either. Porties is the perfect ground for a suburban GF. I remember 1 year they had it at Christies which seemed to manage also.

However since there has been no real reports of trouble since moving it to Panther park i cant see the SFL moving it at any time soon.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:08 am

Definately keep it at one of the SFL grounds, much better atmosphere.
Ive never attended a GF at Noarlunga but have witnessed some great other finals down there.
Witnessed a few at Porties and they always seemed to be great.
Would Bice Oval and/or Reynella and/or any other SFL ground be up for it?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2063 times
Been liked: 3923 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby AFLflyer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:15 am

we have discussed this before, but its good to bring back up. Grandfinal day down at panther land is a huge dissapointment every year. Everyone is separated, no atmosphere, it is terrible. Something has to be done!! bring back Porties!!!!!!!!!!! Porties the only other oval to cope with the cars!! just increase security if they are worried!
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby vics01 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:27 am

The two best teams deserve to play footy on the best ground available and South it is. Atmosphere is what you make it. The crowds have been much better behaved at South no drunken yobbos with eskies full of booze. Crowd a bit down last year but that was probably because BDOS were playing and the supoerters got lost coming up the hill. The Morphies/Reynella GF was pretty good crowds and reasonable atmosphere. Stay at South but build it up a bit more.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby shoe boy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:37 am

I agree with the FACTS that since the move to South Adelaide there have only been negative feed back.
Pt Noarlunga is the perfect venue for OUR grand final it is real grass roots football with that country atmosphere with the bbq's the clubs all in there own patch with flags showing there colours.
The SFL are our representives of OUR comp and should listen when the people speek. Maybe we need to put together a petition to the SFL regarding the move back to where the people want.
I beleive the issues with Pt Noarlunga were security but as it is a SFL gig it is there responsibility to cover this. :D
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Swooper16 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:46 am

Playing the devils advocate here Shoe boy as i would also like to see the GF return to Porties but i am pretty sure the SFL would point to the FACT that security and crowd behaviour has been far less of an issue at South Adelaide. There certainly hasnt been any instances of the game having to be stopped due to people fighting on the field whilst the game is in play!
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Postby AFLflyer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:53 am

Swooper16 wrote:Playing the devils advocate here Shoe boy as i would also like to see the GF return to Porties but i am pretty sure the SFL would point to the FACT that security and crowd behaviour has been far less of an issue at South Adelaide. There certainly hasnt been any instances of the game having to be stopped due to people fighting on the field whilst the game is in play!

yeah, but that was only one GF day that the fights happened. Increase security and ban booze, but bring the GF back to porties!!!
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby shoe boy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:17 pm

Swooper16 wrote:Playing the devils advocate here Shoe boy as i would also like to see the GF return to Porties but i am pretty sure the SFL would point to the FACT that security and crowd behaviour has been far less of an issue at South Adelaide. There certainly hasnt been any instances of the game having to be stopped due to people fighting on the field whilst the game is in play!

Swooper I was at that game we were playing and if you remember as I do there were 2 police standing in front of the club rooms. obviously not good enough.
At South Adelaide they have security every where.
You have to police the hill and have a visual presence.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Said it 100 times already, but loved GF day down at Porties.

Over-reaction to a couple of incidents (which could have been prevented with ANY security presence) IMO to move it to Souf.

Now its at Souf the league will no doubt claim it is locked in for 50 years or something stupid... and no doubt the league is paying some exorbitant fee to host it at Hickinbotham. :roll:

can someone confirm or deny there is a 'hosting' fee the league pays souf?
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby cyclops » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:54 pm

If there going to use an sanfl ground for gf then they should use the bay its heeps better than south,but i do think it should be bak at porties.
cyclops

Postby fisho mcspaz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:22 pm

If they use Bice Oval they'd better be handing out free scarves/bottles of port, because it is the coldest place on earth besides Uraidla. :bear:
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby the big bang » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:33 pm

i'd vote for it to be back at porties.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby tatts » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:06 pm

the_big_bang wrote:i'd vote for it to be back at porties.

Im with you on this one.South has a great surface but it is so sterile and lacks atmosphere.Porties was agreat venue for the GF but had a few minor problems with crowd control which i reckon could have been avoided with a better security presence.Iwould go every year when it was at Porties and meet up with some mates have a few beers and have a great day.Now if my club is not involved on GF day i probably wont go as its not a great place to be just a spectator.
If the only reason you play is for a beer with your mates after the game,your playing for the wrong reasons !!
tatts
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby KEYDEFENDER » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:05 am

Whats wrong with the Bay?... not cold or windy.. + they now have a cafe there for us turtleneck wearing Latte drinkers.
KEYDEFENDER
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:11 am

tatts wrote:
the_big_bang wrote:i'd vote for it to be back at porties.

Im with you on this one.South has a great surface but it is so sterile and lacks atmosphere.Porties was agreat venue for the GF but had a few minor problems with crowd control which i reckon could have been avoided with a better security presence.Iwould go every year when it was at Porties and meet up with some mates have a few beers and have a great day.Now if my club is not involved on GF day i probably wont go as its not a great place to be just a spectator.

you hit the nail on the head - thats the problem right there! not as many uninvolved clubs will bother and make the effort to travel down there and wath GF day. It just aint the same...
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby fly » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:42 pm

[quote="KEYDEFENDER"]Whats wrong with the Bay?... not cold or windy.. + they now have a cafe there for us turtleneck wearing Latte drinkers.[/quote]

Thanks for making me laugh but agree the Bay is a far better venue than SA it is an absolute shocker of a ground
fly
Under 16s

Postby THE MOLE » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Will cars be allowed to park around the ground at the grand final at south adelaide this year??
THE MOLE
Under 18s

Postby AFLflyer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:39 pm

the atmosphere was actually pretty good yesterday - not a fan of the whole south thing, but it wasnt too bad. big crowd.

maybe thats because morphies lost! good one COVE!
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL