Division 1 & Division 2 Sould we have 2 divisions in the SFL

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Division 1 & Division 2 Sould we have 2 divisions in the SFL

Postby tatts » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:18 am

This should start some healthy debate.Maybe we could have 8 teams in Div 1 and 6 teams in Div 2 with a relegation process that requires the top 2 teams in Div 2 go up to Div 1 and the bottom 2 teams in Div 1 come down.This seems to work ok in the Amateur League.Im sure that some of the clubs that are struggling would benefit from playing in Div 2 and being more than competative and winning games would bring supporters back to the club.It would also allow the juniors of these clubs to develope in a competative culture.The league would have to get behind these clubs that dont have juniors and help them get into schools and so forth and make sure that all clubs have juniors.

Ishould note that i have been involved in a club that was relegated from Div 1 a few years ago and that when this happened we started to again win games of footy and when that happened the atmosphere around the club was fantastic.This club always strived to get back to Div 1 and is now doing a great job on the back of there juniors and hanging in there and i think will be a force in the next 2-3 years.The club that i am involved with now are a strong club that also built its success around their juniors and the culture of this club is fantastic. They havnt always been strong but will be for the next few years as we continually develope our kids.
If the only reason you play is for a beer with your mates after the game,your playing for the wrong reasons !!
tatts
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Re: Division 1 & Division 2 Sould we have 2 divisions in the SFL

Postby Sponge Bob » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:56 pm

tatts wrote:This should start some healthy debate.Maybe we could have 8 teams in Div 1 and 6 teams in Div 2 with a relegation process that requires the top 2 teams in Div 2 go up to Div 1 and the bottom 2 teams in Div 1 come down.This seems to work ok in the Amateur League.Im sure that some of the clubs that are struggling would benefit from playing in Div 2 and being more than competative and winning games would bring supporters back to the club.It would also allow the juniors of these clubs to develope in a competative culture.The league would have to get behind these clubs that dont have juniors and help them get into schools and so forth and make sure that all clubs have juniors.

Ishould note that i have been involved in a club that was relegated from Div 1 a few years ago and that when this happened we started to again win games of footy and when that happened the atmosphere around the club was fantastic.This club always strived to get back to Div 1 and is now doing a great job on the back of there juniors and hanging in there and i think will be a force in the next 2-3 years.The club that i am involved with now are a strong club that also built its success around their juniors and the culture of this club is fantastic. They havnt always been strong but will be for the next few years as we continually develope our kids.

If the lSF League hierachy had any foresight, they would impliment that next season and instigate serious talks with the GSFL with a view to amalgamating. That would make a strong comp with ample teams for 2 divisions.
Sponge Bob

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:32 pm

I believe the only way for the league to go is to look at bringing in a few teams from the amature league (SAAFL) and the split it up so its two leagues with 8 teams in each. The teams you could look at are mitchel park and edwardstown. You could also give these teams some consessions in the first year (don't have to pay fee to be in league for first year) or some thing to entice them to join the league. Have a simple two up two down system and a final 4 systems (could go five if wanted to). Also you could have

Just a suggestion. What do other people think????????????????

Would make the whole competition a lot closer and more interesting week in week out. Imagine if there was a final 4 now and watching reynella/brighton/happy valley/porties fight for the 3rd and 4th spot.
Check out the Brahma Lodge Football Club website at www.blfc.com.au
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Sponge Bob » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:32 pm

lovetotalkfooty wrote:I believe the only way for the league to go is to look at bringing in a few teams from the amature league (SAAFL) and the split it up so its two leagues with 8 teams in each. The teams you could look at are mitchel park and edwardstown. You could also give these teams some consessions in the first year (don't have to pay fee to be in league for first year) or some thing to entice them to join the league. Have a simple two up two down system and a final 4 systems (could go five if wanted to). Also you could have

Just a suggestion. What do other people think????????????????

Would make the whole competition a lot closer and more interesting week in week out. Imagine if there was a final 4 now and watching reynella/brighton/happy valley/porties fight for the 3rd and 4th spot.

Don't think you'd get too many takers from the SAAFL clubs. Think GSFl is the better option with maybe Blackwood from the HFL.
Sponge Bob

Postby cyclops » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:16 pm

all of above sensational idea.

sumone tell me though why wouldnt amateur clubs want to play in the sfl?f*kd if id wona drive from one side of adelade to the other.another point amateur juniors play sundays,surely everyone involved would prefer to play on saturdays with their seniors.

There is no way i think the n$bs that run the sfl will allow this,they have there heads stuck to far up each others arses its not funny.
cyclops

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:06 pm

2 divisions would be fantastic, but what really needs to happen is the SFL and the SAAFL need to stop being so pig headed thinking one is better than the other and get together and form one sort of super league. Still have division 1 or a premier league where the best 10 or 12 teams compete, but then brake the rest up into areas, have a south, metro south, north, metro north, western, eastern and a city division (can be broken down into more areas if needed). You could still have finals in each area, then have a final series for the top club in each divsion. The top 2 clubs go up to the premier league and the bottom 2 go down into there area comp. I know this may cause odd numbers of teams but some of these areas may need 2 divisions. I think SA footy as a whole needs a bit of a revamp and sometime you need to look outside the square. This could even help the SANFL clubs, they may get closer contacts with each club in there areas and be able to source more players. It sounds like a very out there idea but it could work. (Will probably get shot down in flames but its just an idea) :ANAL:
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Sponge Bob » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:43 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:2 divisions would be fantastic, but what really needs to happen is the SFL and the SAAFL need to stop being so pig headed thinking one is better than the other and get together and form one sort of super league. Still have division 1 or a premier league where the best 10 or 12 teams compete, but then brake the rest up into areas, have a south, metro south, north, metro north, western, eastern and a city division (can be broken down into more areas if needed). You could still have finals in each area, then have a final series for the top club in each divsion. The top 2 clubs go up to the premier league and the bottom 2 go down into there area comp. I know this may cause odd numbers of teams but some of these areas may need 2 divisions. I think SA footy as a whole needs a bit of a revamp and sometime you need to look outside the square. This could even help the SANFL clubs, they may get closer contacts with each club in there areas and be able to source more players. It sounds like a very out there idea but it could work. (Will probably get shot down in flames but its just an idea) :ANAL:

Good idea but would strike plenty of resistance from every angle. Do a draft (corrected at the insistance of the Thesaurus Shrek) of the clubs in divisions and put that up for discussion. it'll keep you busy for a while but would be interested to see the end result.
Last edited by Sponge Bob on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sponge Bob

Postby efc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:35 pm

There were a few southern amateur sides that looked at the idea and Edwardstown came very close. One of the sticking points tho was juniors. They play Sundays now and a majority of the Edwardstown juniors already play Saturdays for college sides and some in league sides. They were looking at joining and building the juniors again slowly.

I actually believe this will happen in the near future. The crowds at Amatuer football are pathetic ,i went the other week against SHOC at Edwardstown and there would not of been 100 people there for a local derby and the next time against Pembroke there was the same. The club wont survive as there are no bar takings no bbq takings or canteen takings to support it and you cant rely on sponsors putting there hand in there pocket year after year.

The fees from the saafl are huge as well i cant remember the exact figures at the moment.

They will play in the SFL in the near future. The travel is actually better than now ( Modbury, Athelstone,Div 1 Sal nth Gepps Cross etc)
efc
Rookie

Postby bandar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:20 pm

SAAFL Div 2 fees including A grade umpires costs is approx $13500 that's for 3 senior teams . Not sure how that compares with SFL. Div 1 is more expensive again. Also not certain of other inclusions (insurance etc).
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby The Big Shrek » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:06 pm

Captain Cordial wrote:
Do a draught of the clubs in divisions and put that up for discussion

Would that envote a discussion CC? You were even talking about glass houses in another thread!
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 368 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:11 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:
Captain Cordial wrote:

Would that envote a discussion CC? You were even talking about glass houses in another thread!

shut up. :?
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1747 times
Been liked: 2155 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Falcon Chick wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:
Captain Cordial wrote:

=D>
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby rodney fox » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:30 pm

Being a part of a struggling side in SFL its hard to say what would be best. We look forward to the challenge of playing the bigger sides and hopefully stepping up to play some better footy. We know that the results we want are not there and admittedley its a bloody hard task to stay in touch with some of these sides. So it may attract more for us to be in a second division? Its a big call but feel something has to be done, I would hate to see some of these struggling sides folding.

That said I can see positive outcomes for both situations, with the advantage of 2 divisions making the Div 2 clubs want to crack into the Div 1 but also it could cause a problem, I think it works so well in amateur league as there are so many sides and Divisions. This could be a problem with only 2 and some clubs always on the border?

I think it'd be best if the GSFL would merge with southern and make the 2 divs from that but we all know that will never happen. I would love to play against Willunga and some of these other sides.
rodney fox
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Big Shrek » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:32 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Falcon Chick wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:
Captain Cordial wrote:

=D>

Get lost, he was bagging others about their spelling so I had a slight dig back. You shut up!
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:39 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:shut up. :?

=D>

Get lost, he was bagging others about their spelling so I had a slight dig back. You shut up!

I'd love to run with this, but it's inappropriate :D

My 2c...

For what I know about the SFL (not much) I can say that it would be a costly task, not unlike the old SAFA competition.

The only thing that stopped Edwardstown from defecting was the potential demise of their junior competition, being they couldn't have junior teams in 2 different comps (SFL and Metro South). Not sure if talks are still on the agenda..
Footy Chick

Postby hawkseye » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:38 pm

What? No swearing Shrek :wink:
Thats what im talkin aboooouuuut!!!!!!
hawkseye
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: West Croydon

Postby Sponge Bob » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:36 am

The Big Shrek wrote:
Captain Cordial wrote:

Never made a mistake Eh Shreky? Must be great being perfect. If you read my post carefully it was the word not the spelling

Happy to admit my spelling error, what about you?
Sponge Bob

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:59 am

Captain Cordial wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:
Captain Cordial wrote:

Never made a mistake Eh Shreky? Must be great being perfect. If you read my post carefully it was the word not the spelling

You shut up too.. :?
Footy Chick

Postby The Big Shrek » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:30 am

Captain Cordial wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:
Captain Cordial wrote:

Spelling, word choice, I don't critcize others but made an exception after your effort on another thread. Go see if you can find an error that isn't a typo in my posts.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby zedman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:35 am

The Big Shrek wrote:
Captain Cordial wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:
Captain Cordial wrote:

Spelling, word choice, I don't critcize others but made an exception after your effort on another thread. Go see if you can find an error that isn't a typo in my posts.

want to buy an "I" ? :)
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1081 times
Been liked: 387 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL