Are Edwardstown moving to SFL?

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Are Edwardstown moving to SFL?

Postby Backliner » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:17 pm

Not sure how Edwardstown is setup but Aldinga floated a move to Hills country in late 2004. We had to have a vote of a majority of members at an official meeting. It was voted 32 votes to 7 to stay SFL. Incidentally of the 32 who voted against the move most have moved on. If Edwardstown players are upset can't they simply vote against the move?
Backliner
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Bluedemon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:10 pm

beeroclock wrote:kookas why bother when all you do is can all opions that appear on any forum give it up.I do expect a negative response, see how we go.

it is not negative, it is the truth :lol:
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 99 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Bully » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:28 pm

Backliner wrote:Not sure how Edwardstown is setup but Aldinga floated a move to Hills country in late 2004. We had to have a vote of a majority of members at an official meeting. It was voted 32 votes to 7 to stay SFL. Incidentally of the 32 who voted against the move most have moved on. If Edwardstown players are upset can't they simply vote against the move?

you and i both know whom was the voters against your move to hills league backliner, might be the same as edwardstown people might not want to drive that far for games at shark park from edwardstown.
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby THE BARKING SPIDERS » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:16 pm

Bulldog wrote:
Backliner wrote:Not sure how Edwardstown is setup but Aldinga floated a move to Hills country in late 2004. We had to have a vote of a majority of members at an official meeting. It was voted 32 votes to 7 to stay SFL. Incidentally of the 32 who voted against the move most have moved on. If Edwardstown players are upset can't they simply vote against the move?

you and i both know whom was the voters against your move to hills league backliner, might be the same as edwardstown people might not want to drive that far for games at shark park from edwardstown.

yeah 40 mins for a game of footy, bugger that :o :o :o
THE BARKING SPIDERS
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Navy2005 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:00 pm

Down&Out wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Down&Out wrote:I am another who has seen the e mail document and while the 9 delegates were in agreeance there is a strong push from some within the group to squash the move based on the fact that they want to see Edwardstown stay and play in the highest competition they possibly can- i don't think the deal is done and dusted- there may be some fireworks with this move yet to come!!

Pretty sure that if your A grade coach and your President want something then it's likely to happen.

Do Edwardstown really have a Board of Directors and not a Committee?

Not doubting the strong push of the 2 guys mentioned (I find it interesting that a guy- Agrade coach has been there 1 year and seems to be one of the main forces pushing move??) All I am saying is the deal is not over- some very strong staunch Edwardstown people are not happy with the move or the way this is being handled!

Would like to think that alot of Edwardtown people will warm to the idea once they have experienced the atmosphere of the SFL which I still think is one of the best atmospheres going around.
Navy2005
Under 16s

Postby Jayne » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:15 pm

x-sharky wrote:
Bulldog wrote:

yeah 40 mins for a game of footy, bugger that :o :o :o

Not as bad as Salisbury North or Tea Tree Gully away...
Jayne
Rookie

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:52 pm

Kenilworth to Smithfields a fair trek.Good for bonding sessions on the bus on the way back though :partyman:
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 773 times

Postby Bluedemon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:46 pm

the agreement is for Edwardstown's A's, B's and U/18's to join in 2008
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:56 pm

kookas wrote:the agreement is for Edwardstown's A's, B's and U/18's to join in 2008

OK, so if this signed and sealed now, does this now mean that Uni may have won themselves a reprieve and will stay in div 1?

Surely only 1 team will go up from div 2 next year to fill the gap, sort of like what happened in div 4 in 2005 when Salisbury West were kept down and Walkies got to stay up in div 3..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1753 times
Been liked: 2173 times

Postby Benchwarmer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 pm

I would have thought that it would be one down, two up unless there has been a clear precedent set.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:05 pm

thats true..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1753 times
Been liked: 2173 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:06 pm

Nah I guess it depends whether Morphy Parks are successful with their SAAFL application (If it happens).But they would surley start in Div 6 or 7.Never the less if they do go it would effect the promotion/relegation system for the end of the year.Interesting to see,once again it has to happen first........
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 773 times

Postby Down&Out » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:13 pm

If Morphies are trying to get into the SAAFL surely that sends a message to Edwardstown- Why would one of the top clubs be looking to get out??
Also heard one of the rumours that they are looking to move is to entice more family and support from junior clubs- wouldn't put all my faith in that theory- People down south tell me not that many juniors hang around or are at presso of a night anyway- they all have things to do- not traditionally a family club- wouldn't be too many Townies players with kids running around in the juniors!!
Down&Out
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Waterboy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:04 pm

Down&Out wrote:If Morphies are trying to get into the SAAFL surely that sends a message to Edwardstown- Why would one of the top clubs be looking to get out??
Also heard one of the rumours that they are looking to move is to entice more family and support from junior clubs- wouldn't put all my faith in that theory- People down south tell me not that many juniors hang around or are at presso of a night anyway- they all have things to do- not traditionally a family club- wouldn't be too many Townies players with kids running around in the juniors!!

That'd be Morphetville Park one of the botton teams, not Morphett Vale.
Waterboy
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:17 pm

heard from a reliable source that the fees to go to SFL are way cheaper than staying in the SAAFL.
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Postby Huddo05 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Yes the fees are cheaper in the SFL
Huddo05
Mini-League

Postby Huddo05 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:20 pm

We just had a massive meeting last night in regards to the SFL idea. We had some of the board members the along with the players and it was essentially a question time. My observation of the night seems that the Edwardstown Football Club are digging themselves a massive hole financially by staying in the SAAFL. By moving to the SFL, the board feels they can catch up on some debts that were incured when we were last in division 2 and attempt to become a successful club on and off the field.

The main issues that were brought up were:
1) We need more juniors to continue on and play for the senior teams.
2) We need more volunteers and helpers to help out behind the scenes and on game days.
3) We need people to fill important recruiting and managment positions at board and committee level.
4) All players to fill their financial obligations by paying membership and fees.

However, the catch-22 of it is we dont have the money to complete these tasks, and we cant complete these tasks without money.

By what i heard last night, the majority of the players feel this is a rushed decision to further investigate the SFL idea and are therefore against it for the time being. I personally feel that for the club to survive financially, the best option at the moment is to go to the SFL. I dont want to see the club fold as i want to play for this club no matter where we play.

There is going to be a player vote next week on what the players want to do, and the board said that will weigh quite heavilly towards the final decision, even if it is the detriment of the club.

So, thats basically the jist of what happened last night. There maybe more things but i cant think of anything else at the moment.
Huddo05
Mini-League

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:03 pm

sounds wise if it in fact will be the best option for the club further on down the track maybe some of that forethought could have been used at Hackham and maybe they wouldnt be in the position they are!
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 73 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby rodney fox » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:01 pm

I think Hackham are in a different boat all together, they dont have a second or third league to relegate to in sfl unlike the division set up in the saafl.

I can certainly see where these players are coming from at edwardstown you Don't like to leave your league to be seen as soft. But i guarantee if they join the SFL not only will they benefit from the experience of a new league but im sure as a club decision they will go alot further on and off the field.

Don't let the Big clubs like Morphett Vale and so on be a scare factor if they are worried about looking bad. because im sure the club they are will win more games than they lose. That in turn will bring new sponsors and new players.

I for one look forward to hopefully seeing Edwardstown join the SFL.
rodney fox
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time

Postby RRR » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:23 pm

I know a lot of the players/junior players are against moving over. Think a lot of the juniors play college footy for colleges like SHC, Immanuel etc and play juniors at Towns cause they play on a sunday. And the C graders dont want to play their C grade games on a sunday. Will be interesting to see the mass exodus of players/juniors if they do move over.
RRR
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL