Edwardstown still looking

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Edwardstown still looking

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Kart Horse wrote:Cant agree more. I spoke with a committee member and the major sponsor at edwardstown last year and they said that they never planned to play the u18 because it was on a saturday but they new they had to make it look like they were planning to have them! The SFL very soft on this!

Firstly, Until all teams in the SFL have the full compliment of juniors, I find this talk of not admitting clubs without, a bit rich.

Secondly, If you want the competition to expand, you'll have to accept the fact that most clubs in surrounding leagues will not have a full compliment of juniors from u/8 - u/18's as their catchment areas are generally smaller than most of the SFL. Just look at how few clubs in the SAAFL fielded U/18 last year.[/quote]

Every existing Sfl club has at least 1 junior team! How can we accept new clubs that only have seniors in our comp! This means our junior sides will have to play at different grounds to our seniors putting exta pressure on clubs.[/quote]

Clubs may have had juniors sides, but I believe people are complaining about a lack of saturday juniors. Morphie Parks and Lonsdale fielded none and Marion and Aldinga one only each. Also, Hackhams and Christies beach sides in these three grades were all in easily in the bottom half.

Now compare this against the four or five sides who field two teams, one on saturday and one on sunday for 1 or 2 of the grades.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Sorry Dude » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Clubs may have had juniors sides, but I believe people are complaining about a lack of saturday juniors. Morphie Parks and Lonsdale fielded none and Marion and Aldinga one only each. Also, Hackhams and Christies beach sides in these three grades were all in easily in the bottom half.

what does finishing in the bottom half have to do with e/town bringing no juniors?? the fact is those teams still are entering junior sides. I thought that was the debate here??
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:27 pm

hackham hawk wrote:Clubs may have had juniors sides, but I believe people are complaining about a lack of saturday juniors. Morphie Parks and Lonsdale fielded none and Marion and Aldinga one only each. Also, Hackhams and Christies beach sides in these three grades were all in easily in the bottom half.

what does finishing in the bottom half have to do with e/town bringing no juniors?? the fact is those teams still are entering junior sides. I thought that was the debate here??

Yes, I guess it was a bit tangential; Not trying to have a go at your clubs, but in terms of junior strength, there are three types of clubs and I that is unlikely to change in the short term.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
hackham hawk wrote:Clubs may have had juniors sides, but I believe people are complaining about a lack of saturday juniors. Morphie Parks and Lonsdale fielded none and Marion and Aldinga one only each. Also, Hackhams and Christies beach sides in these three grades were all in easily in the bottom half.

Yes, I guess it was a bit tangential; Not trying to have a go at your clubs, but in terms of junior strength, there are three types of clubs and I that is unlikely to change in the short term.

And that Hackham have risen from the 3rd tier to 2nd tier in the junior sphere is a credit to your club. It should guarantee the long term future of your club.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby shoe boy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:36 pm

EV I enjoy reading your posts but on this subject I am a bit lost.

We the shareholders of the SFL need to ask the board of directors what vision and direction they want for the SFL?

The strength of our comp has been true grass roots football for all and especially familys. Do we need teams from the SAAFL?or do we help our local market build their clubs to the standard required which is full age groups on Sat.

If clubs do not fit the standard do we place them in the Sun comp until they gain the standard???

just some thoughts :)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:13 pm

shoe boy wrote:EV I enjoy reading your posts but on this subject I am a bit lost.

We the shareholders of the SFL need to ask the board of directors what vision and direction they want for the SFL?

The strength of our comp has been true grass roots football for all and especially familys. Do we need teams from the SAAFL?or do we help our local market build their clubs to the standard required which is full age groups on Sat.

If clubs do not fit the standard do we place them in the Sun comp until they gain the standard???

likewise sb

Perhaps I am a bit of topic? For me, the best grass roots footy was the old ten team division 1 comp; today's league with sides getting pummeled week in, week out in most grades is not grass roots footy. If the league is forced to take one or two teams with no juniors in order to achieve two divisions, so be it.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby Sorry Dude » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:21 pm

shoe boy wrote:EV I enjoy reading your posts but on this subject I am a bit lost.

i didnt think we needed anymore teams as it was. but now to take out the bye and then it is consistent footy all year round in the seniors. but i think we need to concentrate on helping all SFL clubs to fill a full quota of junior sides, as it would be benificial for the club to succeed and have strength when the kids start playing senior footy.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
Kart Horse wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:I notice Edwardstown have withdrawn their U/18 team now so they will only field A & B grade teams - so much for being a strong club, looks like Mitchell Park all over again. SFL have shown themselves to be weak as piss yet again.

Cant agree more. I spoke with a committee member and the major sponsor at edwardstown last year and they said that they never planned to play the u18 because it was on a saturday but they new they had to make it look like they were planning to have them! The SFL very soft on this!

Secondly, If you want the competition to expand, you'll have to accept the fact that most clubs in surrounding leagues will not have a full compliment of juniors from u/8 - u/18's as their catchment areas are generally smaller than most of the SFL. Just look at how few clubs in the SAAFL fielded U/18 last year.

Why would we want to accept more weaker teams into our league, we should only accept the best under our terms
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:58 pm

kookas wrote:Edwardstown's reason for not having an U/18's side is that some of them play college footy or work on a saturday morning. They have been used to playing junior football on a sunday.

Not our problem - find the kids or go elsewhere
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby GO THE PUNT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:37 pm

Well look good in leather we could say that about the teams I mentioned earlier can,t fill all grades go somewhere else? If the league is going to let them do it nothink is going to be achieved. The comp is judged at senior level so until these clubs can feel all grades and be half competetive and let the kids flow on the comp will stay the same. Remember people the towns do fill all junior sides I do believe. Ok its not in our comp which is a shame but least they are going to have kids flow on thru the grades which will then keep the seniors strong which means another stronger team at senior level which then improves the comp.
Im sorry to the clubs that struggle with the juniors and it is harsh but you are going to continue to struggle to attract them its the reality that parents want kids to be winners so they go to the winning clubs. To the hackam guys you have done a great job to start the club up again but lets be real about it you couldn't say you have inproved in the last two years at a senior level an correct me if i am wrong at junior level you kids playing 2 games on a saturday to fill numbers. C'mon that can't be a positive outlook. I know you are not the only club out there in that position. Anyhow prove me wrong this year please.
GO THE PUNT
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sorry Dude » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:18 pm

GO THE PUNT wrote:Well look good in leather we could say that about the teams I mentioned earlier can,t fill all grades go somewhere else? If the league is going to let them do it nothink is going to be achieved. The comp is judged at senior level so until these clubs can feel all grades and be half competetive and let the kids flow on the comp will stay the same. Remember people the towns do fill all junior sides I do believe. Ok its not in our comp which is a shame but least they are going to have kids flow on thru the grades which will then keep the seniors strong which means another stronger team at senior level which then improves the comp.
Im sorry to the clubs that struggle with the juniors and it is harsh but you are going to continue to struggle to attract them its the reality that parents want kids to be winners so they go to the winning clubs. To the hackam guys you have done a great job to start the club up again but lets be real about it you couldn't say you have inproved in the last two years at a senior level an correct me if i am wrong at junior level you kids playing 2 games on a saturday to fill numbers. C'mon that can't be a positive outlook. I know you are not the only club out there in that position. Anyhow prove me wrong this year please.

so turning a 60-70 goal loss every week and having some kids play 3 games a week to losing by between 25-35 goals is not improvement? wow i must be dilusional. and giving some of the 18's a run in the a grade i didnt realise that was making the club worse. are we not in a time where if you have the younger kids that can play senior footy you play them?? dont worry gtp we will proving a lot of people wrong this year.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Yeah i think a hell of a lot of people are gonna be surprised when we play them this season...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:31 pm

GO THE PUNT wrote:Remember people the towns do fill all junior sides I do believe. Ok its not in our comp which is a shame but least they are going to have kids flow on thru the grades which will then keep the seniors strong which means another stronger team at senior level which then improves the comp.

So towns want their cake and eat it too. Either they want to join the SFL or they do not. Enough of this half-arsed crap
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby HH3 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:35 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
GO THE PUNT wrote:Remember people the towns do fill all junior sides I do believe. Ok its not in our comp which is a shame but least they are going to have kids flow on thru the grades which will then keep the seniors strong which means another stronger team at senior level which then improves the comp.

So towns want their cake and eat it too. Either they want to join the SFL or they do not. Enough of this half-arsed crap

I think the main problem with them is that apparently they're two seperate clubs. Somehow. There juniors and seniors arent run by the same administration or something. Thats what Ive heard anyway.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:05 pm

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:

I think the main problem with them is that apparently they're two seperate clubs. Somehow. There juniors and seniors arent run by the same administration or something. Thats what Ive heard anyway.

True. HH3
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby GO THE PUNT » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 pm

Hey I will say it again the comp is judge at senior level so to make the comp stronger by having the towns seniors in it. Its easy to sit back and say no juniors your not welcome but until that applies to every club you can say stuff all. Tell me how long do we give to the clubs to create junior sides? Yes it would be good to have a full day of footy at every ground every weekend but until this happens I think the debate will go nowhere. Seriously how are you going to tell a club that will bring another competative game to the comp each week that will improve the standard that they are not welcome. Remember the comp is judge on A grade results and A grade results only.
GO THE PUNT
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby shoe boy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:22 am

GO THE PUNT wrote:Hey I will say it again the comp is judge at senior level so to make the comp stronger by having the towns seniors in it. Its easy to sit back and say no juniors your not welcome but until that applies to every club you can say stuff all. Tell me how long do we give to the clubs to create junior sides? Yes it would be good to have a full day of footy at every ground every weekend but until this happens I think the debate will go nowhere. Seriously how are you going to tell a club that will bring another competative game to the comp each week that will improve the standard that they are not welcome. Remember the comp is judge on A grade results and A grade results only.

This post is so far of the mark it is not funny!!!

what club are you aligned to GTP.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Sorry Dude » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 am

shoe boy wrote:
GO THE PUNT wrote:Hey I will say it again the comp is judge at senior level so to make the comp stronger by having the towns seniors in it. Its easy to sit back and say no juniors your not welcome but until that applies to every club you can say stuff all. Tell me how long do we give to the clubs to create junior sides? Yes it would be good to have a full day of footy at every ground every weekend but until this happens I think the debate will go nowhere. Seriously how are you going to tell a club that will bring another competative game to the comp each week that will improve the standard that they are not welcome. Remember the comp is judge on A grade results and A grade results only.

never thought i would say this but i agree with shoe boy :shock:
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:55 am

hackham hawk wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

never thought i would say this but i agree with shoe boy :shock:

WHAT!?!?!?! :shock:
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:20 am

GO THE PUNT wrote:Hey I will say it again the comp is judge at senior level so to make the comp stronger by having the towns seniors in it. Its easy to sit back and say no juniors your not welcome but until that applies to every club you can say stuff all. Tell me how long do we give to the clubs to create junior sides?

Question is then why do we want to add to the problem?
Great if they are a strong team now, but by the sounds of things they are going to be another dud team in a few years when all their juniors move on to their old scholars teams.
Again we are just taking the other leagues' offal - SFL is becoming the dumping ground of SA Footy.
I assume next it will be Ovingham, Wingfield Royals, Callington and McLaren.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL