Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby strike me pink » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:46 pm

The Poacher wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:Heard a couple of rumours on the way to work.

- A number of people of influence advocating dissolving the Community football board and putting a levy of $40 per senior and $25 per junior on each club to pay of SANFL debts.
- Marion are regretting making an early call to stay in SFL. Reportedly shocked by Brighton leaving and feel like the only rat left down the hill on a sinking ship.
- Marion trying to convince Brighton to reconsider and stay in SFL

Why would Marion give a toss about Brighton going. A board member at Marion is already telling people at the club that 6 (yes he said 6) Brighton players are coming over already next year. I will believe that one, when I see it. There will be at least 4 of the current board at Marion leaving at the end of this season, so I would expect most of the people coming on to the 2017 board would have a different opinion to those that are currently being suggested.

I think I have heard of 4 Clubs chasing Will Rivers - can Marion be added to that.
strike me pink
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby The Poacher » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:03 pm

strike me pink wrote:
The Poacher wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:Heard a couple of rumours on the way to work.

- A number of people of influence advocating dissolving the Community football board and putting a levy of $40 per senior and $25 per junior on each club to pay of SANFL debts.
- Marion are regretting making an early call to stay in SFL. Reportedly shocked by Brighton leaving and feel like the only rat left down the hill on a sinking ship.
- Marion trying to convince Brighton to reconsider and stay in SFL

Why would Marion give a toss about Brighton going. A board member at Marion is already telling people at the club that 6 (yes he said 6) Brighton players are coming over already next year. I will believe that one, when I see it. There will be at least 4 of the current board at Marion leaving at the end of this season, so I would expect most of the people coming on to the 2017 board would have a different opinion to those that are currently being suggested.

I think I have heard of 4 Clubs chasing Will Rivers - can Marion be added to that.

as per usual, no names were mentioned,
The Poacher

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dutchy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Reynella finish 6th :shock:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3579 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:34 pm

Would make sense to swap the U18 games on Saturday I reckon.

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby fathersonsfl » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:53 am

Dutchy wrote:Would make sense to swap the U18 games on Saturday I reckon.

That makes way too much sense for the SFL.....
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby spot on » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:52 pm

The boys must have read your comment Dutchy, I see they have changed venues of the Saturday 18's venues.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:06 am

Well done to the SFL and affected clubs for some common sense and lateral thinking. Switching Saturday's Under 18 finals appeared to be a no-brainer and good to see everyone was on the same page with making the switch.

Assuming 11 or 12 clubs next year, will the SFL and clubs go back to a final 5 or even look at a final 6. If people still have issues working out how a final 8 works then good luck with a final 6.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby oneuponedown » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:18 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Well done to the SFL and affected clubs for some common sense and lateral thinking. Switching Saturday's Under 18 finals appeared to be a no-brainer and good to see everyone was on the same page with making the switch.

Assuming 11 or 12 clubs next year, will the SFL and clubs go back to a final 5 or even look at a final 6. If people still have issues working out how a final 8 works then good luck with a final 6.

Good point DTH if there's only 11 teams in 2017 seems pointless to have a final eight.
looking forward to the upcoming finals series, should see some cracker games - Can the flies make a run from 6th??
oneuponedown
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:41 pm

oneuponedown wrote:Can the flies make a run from 6th??

Not from what I saw on Saturday, although their B's were pretty strong so maybe some changes might be the difference.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:24 pm

There's been some unpredictable results with the top sides in recent weeks. I wouldn't be writing off Reynella. No A grade team has won a flag from outside the top 4 since the final 8 commenced in 2002. Maybe a club can do it in the last season of the final 8. But Morphett Vale have won 15 on the trot so the flag is there's to lose in my opinion.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:37 pm

Down the Hill wrote:There's been some unpredictable results with the top sides in recent weeks. I wouldn't be writing off Reynella. No A grade team has won a flag from outside the top 4 since the final 8 commenced in 2002. Maybe a club can do it in the last season of the final 8. But Morphett Vale have won 15 on the trot so the flag is there's to lose in my opinion.

Certainly not writing them off, Im sure Saturday was one of their worst performances for the year and wouldn't want to be MVP this week. Can make a case for any of the top 6 winning the flag this year, can't remember when that was last the case.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby shoe boy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 am

Where to for Marion ?

With their mates down the hill moving on and something like 6 wins in as many years and with more APPS than any within the comp and the fact they decided to move what juniors they have to the SANFL it would appear a no brainer to join the SAAFL ?

My mail is that the playing group dictated to the board to stay with the SFL? 8-}
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Snaparazzi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Down the Hill wrote:There's been some unpredictable results with the top sides in recent weeks. I wouldn't be writing off Reynella. No A grade team has won a flag from outside the top 4 since the final 8 commenced in 2002. Maybe a club can do it in the last season of the final 8. But Morphett Vale have won 15 on the trot so the flag is there's to lose in my opinion.

Straight from the Sportsbet website -

This weeks games -
MV $1.75 v FH $2.25
Noarlunga $1.55 v BDOS $2.85
PN $1.85 v CB $2.10
Reynella $1.01 v MVP $225

To win the premiership
Noarlunga $3.20
MV $3.20
Reynella $4.50
FH $4.50
BDOS $6.00
PN $25.00
CB $50.00
MVP $1001
Snaparazzi
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby strike me pink » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Porties v Christies was 5 points in it at 3/4 time - so did Christies have a strategy - well we could probably beat these guys next week but not up to Reynella so lets let them kick away - Porties kicked 6 in the last.

Or is Porties just too good and repeat the dose this week.
strike me pink
Mini-League

Postby Front & Centre » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Well done to the SFL and affected clubs for some common sense and lateral thinking. Switching Saturday's Under 18 finals appeared to be a no-brainer and good to see everyone was on the same page with making the switch.

Going to be interesting to see which way the SFL go with this. Final 5 used with many leagues however final 6 or even the old final 8 has a few good points. More clubs involved, more revenue to come for hosting clubs and also clubs playing via presentations or people back at club and it extends the season a week longer with 4 weeks of finals.
Dont worry though the brains trust of the SFL are onto it..
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:22 pm

How does a top 6 work? Top 2 thru to prelim and the bottom 4 play off to join them? That would only be a 3 week finals though...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby reppoh_eht » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Don't the SFL get the majority of their income from the gates during the finals?

If they drop to a top 5 or 6 system it will impact on the $$$
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby reppoh_eht » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:How does a top 6 work? Top 2 thru to prelim and the bottom 4 play off to join them? That would only be a 3 week finals though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_six_play-offs
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby strike me pink » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:54 pm

reppoh_eht wrote:
Dutchy wrote:How does a top 6 work? Top 2 thru to prelim and the bottom 4 play off to join them? That would only be a 3 week finals though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_six_play-offs

or
Week 1
A 1st Elimination Final Rank 5 v Rank 6
B 2nd Elimination Final Rank 3 v Rank 4
C Qualifying Final Rank 1 v Rank 2
W2
D 1st Semi Final Loser C v Winner A
E 2nd Semi Final Winner C v Winner B
W3
F Preliminary Final Loser E v Winner D
W4
G Grand Final Winner E v Winner F
strike me pink
Mini-League

Postby vics01 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:33 pm

Have seen some comments about 11 teams in the SFL next year.. Who out of the 12 remaining now will not be around next year??
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL