Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Dutchy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:08 pm

King wrote:At this point in time, Reynella is scheduled to play against Flaggies in the 14, 16, 18 and B's at Christies next Saturday with the A's against each other on Sunday at Porties. Will common sense prevail at the SFL and swap the A's?

Its already a nightmare for the SFL/Christies as revenue will be down with only 4 clubs there, they wouldn't reduce that down to 2 and stop Flaggy/Reynella people not paying again on Sunday, like the AFL it will be all about the $$$
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2337 times
Been liked: 3603 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:29 pm

You have to wonder if the top 8 works, esp in the lower grades, in every grade the top 4 have made it thru to the prelims, a waster of 2 weeks?

Also interesting to see 3 umpires in the 18's game at Aldinga today.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Down the Hill » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:17 pm

First time it has happened in my memory Dutchy that the top 4 in each grade has made it to the Prelims. Probably more common in the A grade but not the lower grades. But it hasn't gone all to form because the minor premier in A and B grade had to come through the semi's.

It's one thing to change venues on the same day such as what happened on the Sunday of week 1 but already too late to try and switch days for next week. Players, coaches, support staff, would have already made plans with work etc. around what day their team is playing next weekend. And I can assure you that Noarlunga and Brighton won't be moving from a Saturday Preliminary.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 288 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Dutchy wrote:You have to wonder if the top 8 works, esp in the lower grades, in every grade the top 4 have made it thru to the prelims, a waster of 2 weeks?

That's kind of the idea, the top 4 teams (ie the best 4 performed teams) have the best chance of getting through + common sense tells you they are likely to be better teams too.

If the top 4 get through, then the system has worked - if the top 2 play-off in the GF, then that is the aim (of course that will not happen this year).

The top 8 does not function correctly, in that the double chance only lasts for the first week, but that is another argument altogether.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Down the Hill » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Trapped in the 70s and 80s again LGIL. The top 4, that was around for longer than a top 5 and top 8 combined in many leagues including the SANFL and VFL, only provided one double chance. The top 5 was the worst system because the Prelim and GF could both be played by teams who played each other earlier in the finals and one of the Grand Finalists could have had 2 one week breaks during the finals whilst the other team had none. The top 8 is really an extension of the top 4 and works fine. Noarlunga and Reynella earnt a week off which becomes their advantage next weekend.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:02 am

King wrote:At this point in time, Reynella is scheduled to play against Flaggies in the 14, 16, 18 and B's at Christies next Saturday with the A's against each other on Sunday at Porties. Will common sense prevail at the SFL and swap the A's?

Shoes and Brighton change from Sat to Sunday NO! but you could look at changing all lower grades .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:03 am

carey wrote:Mahoney to coach Cove???

Wendy's pockets are not that deep.

On a serious note I believe Sam will spend time with his young family and relax with the year off , even the private jet with the Essendon footy department couldn't get the job done.
Last edited by shoe boy on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 am

Dutchy wrote:You have to wonder if the top 8 works, esp in the lower grades, in every grade the top 4 have made it thru to the prelims, a waster of 2 weeks?

Also interesting to see 3 umpires in the 18's game at Aldinga today.

Sharing the love or the $
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Luke15 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:10 am

Definitely not fair on Noarlunga for the Prelim to be moved from Saturday to Sunday. They earnt the right knocking off the top side in week 1.

Simple solution is why the hell does there have to be a Sunday Prelim. Why cant both prelims be played on Saturday. Oh thats right its all about the money for the bloody Maroon coats. $10 to enter finals for local footy is ridiculous. The weekend just gone cost me and my family a bloody fortune.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby King » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:45 am

Luke15 wrote:Definitely not fair on Noarlunga for the Prelim to be moved from Saturday to Sunday. They earnt the right knocking off the top side in week 1.

Simple solution is why the hell does there have to be a Sunday Prelim. Why cant both prelims be played on Saturday. Oh thats right its all about the money for the bloody Maroon coats. $10 to enter finals for local footy is ridiculous. The weekend just gone cost me and my family a bloody fortune.

OK let's assume no change to the fixture. There is still one change that could be made to make life easier for everyone. At Christies on Saturday Flaggies, likewise Reynella, have two grades scheduled out of the home rooms and two out of the visitors. Murphys Law the changes are consecutive I.e. (Flaggies) 14 home 16 visitors 18 home B visitors. Surely it could be arranged for each team to use the one room for the day. This would negate trainers etc having to move all their stuff from room to room and coach's bench to coach bench (which are a reasonable distance apart at Christies). I am not a Flaggies official but I am certain that Flaggies would be happy to wear the white shorts and use the visitors rooms all day.

Any support for this change?
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby vics01 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:23 pm

LUKE 15
Definitely not fair on Noarlunga for the Prelim to be moved from Saturday to Sunday. They earnt the right knocking off the top side in week 1.

You are right Luke definitely fair the 4th team had a home final against the 1st team in week 1 of the finals!!
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:34 pm

On a serious note , the weather over the w/end was fantastic for finals footy and with that it brings the best out in the ladies with again the Brighton Footy club girls out in front. ;)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:43 pm

vics01 wrote:
LUKE 15

You are right Luke definitely fair the 4th team had a home final against the 1st team in week 1 of the finals!!

"Farewell , fair cruelty" :)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby vics01 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:57 pm

The more I read from you the I am convinced you must be captain of the Caber team with EV vice captain.

1919 Simply repeating what Zelezny Chucks suggested a few posts earlier. Maybe he can provide the finer details.

If you do not know do not make comment.. I know nothing of what ZC was talking about so it is best to say nothing..

I do know about the MP player, so consequently I made comment.

As for slagging Hackham.. You only know what you are led to believe?? In other words you were not there to witness any incident for yourself.

You may want to bear in mind alleged incidents from the game are now before the courts, when you make future comment. Hate to see a mistrial because you make ill informed comment

1919 So how about explain exactly what happened at the SFL investigations hearing rather than leaving it at innuendo and smearing another club? Maybe you could also include in that explanation exactly what the investigation was about and what the outcome was.

Yes 1919: Scurrilous allegation put to the investigation panel by Edwardstown that the coach was telling his players to go out and assault the opposition. Not raised before the hearing only halfway through it.. When called on the scurrilous allegation. E/town could not offer up even a unsubstantiated rumour or gossip to support allegation. many in the league will tell you the said Coach is extremely well respected by friend and foe.

So in summary I would suggest it a very well founded SMEAR as you called it. Running around like little dibber dobbers will win no respect or friends. May well do to remember. He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

On a final note
I would strongly suggest you know SFA about Hackham Football Club or the people involved, who you paint all the same with your ill informed comments..
vics01
Reserves

Postby vics01 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:59 pm

Shoe Boy: On a serious note , the weather over the w/end was fantastic for finals footy and with that it brings the best out in the ladies with again the Brighton Footy club girls out in front. ;)
Who were wearing the uggies??
vics01
Reserves

Postby vics01 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:02 pm

LUKE 15

Far be it for me to support the maroon coats, however given that most players do not receive payment for finals as it is an honour to just play. Maybe the umpires would like to umpire for the honour of officiating a final?? Just asking.
vics01
Reserves

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:04 pm

shoe boy wrote:On a serious note , the weather over the w/end was fantastic for finals footy and with that it brings the best out in the ladies with again the Brighton Footy club girls out in front. ;)

Along with plenty of denim and skinny leg shorts and thongs from our males supporters yesterday. "The Brighton Bombers - bringing a touch of class to the SFL since 1997".

A shame that Aldinga Oval has had some bird issues over the last 12 months because the oval wasn't great - and that's being kind. But credit to the A grade teams of Brighton and Christies Beach for putting on the cracking game of free flowing finals footy, despite some "unusual" bounces of the footy. Christies looked set to come home on the breeze in the last quarter but our lads denied CB the ball in the last and CB helped by handing it back a few times as well.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mister Footy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Anyone able to shed light on latest round of "Future Directions" talks that are happening with the SFL and the clubs?

Heard on weekend there have been a few meetings already but haven't heard much else

Any progress being made? #-o :roll:
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:15 pm

10 prelims across the grades on the weekend coming up and only 5 of the 15 clubs represented...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:10 prelims across the grades on the weekend coming up and only 5 of the 15 clubs represented...

Which is down on most years but not surprising given that 4 of the clubs are among the 5 that field a full deck of Saturday teams and those 4 also had C grade teams. CB the other with a full deck and they all had their 5 teams eliminated on the weekend to all finish 5th or 6th, which is their best club performance for many years.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL