southern comp

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: southern comp

Postby Old and Grey » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:54 am

This will never happen. If you were to stick teams in different divisions above Div 7 the league will have to tell teams that have earnt a promotion in each division that they can't go up because they've stuck a team with a higher reputation in it's place. The Amatuer League wouldn't do that, and fair enough too.[/quote]

For the sake and benefit of metropolitan football, because that is what the SFL now is and not a country league as some at the SFL would like to think, the SANFL, SAAFL and SFL need to get together and look at the possibilities of combining and maybe separating the amateurs into a north/south scenario. As mentioned in a previous response you can't have Aldinga traveling to Smithfield and vice-versa. Perhaps this way sides from the SFL can go into different divisions without upsetting too many apple carts.
Old and Grey
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby FootyMad » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:23 pm

Boys firstly the GSFL is not interested in taking in ANY SFL teams, the GSFL is already a 10 team comp and would gain nothing by the addition of others clubs.

Clubs joining the SAAFL must start at div 6 or lower as the club above have earnt there spot, the only variation is if a club were to fold in a higher div then clubs coming to the leagu with big enough bank balances can opt to take there place etc.

Im not on here bagging div 7 but whoever it was that previously said that div 7 is actually one of the better divs in the league is kidding right? The reason why they are in div 7 is there are actually 60 better clubs in the league. I think a lot of SFL footy would be more directed around the div 4/5 level with some matching it with div 3's on a good day.
FootyMad
League Bench Warmer

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:34 pm

Morphett Vale Cove and Reynella would be more than competitive in Div 2 if not Div 1 just because the depth of competition isn't there doesnt mean the depth at these clubs isn't Morphett Vale have won 3 in a row with there B Grade playing in the last 4 GF's and winning 3
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 73 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby bandar » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:50 pm

Old and Grey wrote:This will never happen. If you were to stick teams in different divisions above Div 7 the league will have to tell teams that have earnt a promotion in each division that they can't go up because they've stuck a team with a higher reputation in it's place. The Amatuer League wouldn't do that, and fair enough too.

Actually it has happened before in 95/96 when SAFA folded and the SAAFL came up with a way of putting the SAFA teams in to higher divisions by having the normal A1 down structure and then a P1 to P3 structure. After about a year it all melded in together and they had north and south divisions from Div 3 down. It was crap but they got what they wanted and so did the SAFA clubs. They can always find a way.
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Hasbeen » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:53 pm

Morphett Vale, Reynella, Cove, Happy Valley,maybe Brighton leave Problem solved. We are now left with an even competition.
Hasbeen
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby dundee12 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:28 pm

Old and Grey wrote:This will never happen. If you were to stick teams in different divisions above Div 7 the league will have to tell teams that have earnt a promotion in each division that they can't go up because they've stuck a team with a higher reputation in it's place. The Amatuer League wouldn't do that, and fair enough too.

For the sake and benefit of metropolitan football, because that is what the SFL now is and not a country league as some at the SFL would like to think, the SANFL, SAAFL and SFL need to get together and look at the possibilities of combining and maybe separating the amateurs into a north/south scenario. As mentioned in a previous response you can't have Aldinga traveling to Smithfield and vice-versa. Perhaps this way sides from the SFL can go into different divisions without upsetting too many apple carts.[/quote]

that is a perfect soloution. but i cant see that happening to many short-sighted stubborn people involved. Could even have a match between the div1 winners of the south vs north in a pre-season game.
dundee12
Rookie

Postby Hills » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:56 pm

hasbeen, if those teams were to leave the league the league would be crap.

I say keep them all there and for the lower clubs to try harder. You dont win a flag because teams have left thats bullshit. Train and work harder and the teams below the ones you mentioned may get stronger and better and eventually win a flag!

however i do agree with capping Jnr's teams such as mvale, they shouldnt be able to have so many players. Its just unfair for others!
Once you go black, your in a wheelchair.
Hills
Reserves

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:28 pm

I wrote a letter to the messenger talking about merging the sfl and the saafl like 12 months ago.Obviously divide it to a north/south comp with div 1 south as follows Edwardstown,Adelaide Uni,Goodwood Saints,Morphett Vale,Reynella,Cove,PHOS Camden,Happy Valley,SHOC. Div 2 Brighton,SCOTCH,SPOC,Port Noarlunga,CBCOC,PAOC,Noarlunga,Marion,Mitcham.
This obviously would not be the final draw but it gives an idea.Top 4 play finals with top 2 promoted and bottom 2 relegated. Play a rep game on 1 weekend with a rep side from div 1 sth playing div 1 nth and so on through each division. To add to spice the premiers would play in some what like a super bowl match at the end of the year with the premiers from div 1,2,3,4,5 sth playing the premiers of div 1,2,3,4,5 nth in the "Champions game" at a neutral venue. This would be an awsome initiative and the juniors would play on sundays.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 773 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Cheech » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:35 pm

SFL isnt going to join SAAFL comp.

What we need is div 1 and div 2 of at least 8 teams each(preferably 10 I would have thought), which means they need at least 2 more teams to join the comp, you would have thought Blackwood (both teams, one in div 1 the other in div 2), Kennilworth, Meadows and Kangarilla would be the most logical teams to join the comp?

Kangarilla have pretty much signalled they wanna be a big fish in a small pond. I'd like to think Blackwood would love to prove themselves in the SFL Div 1 comp?
Cheech
Rookie

Postby Old and Grey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Cheech wrote:SFL isnt going to join SAAFL comp.

What we need is div 1 and div 2 of at least 8 teams each(preferably 10 I would have thought), which means they need at least 2 more teams to join the comp, you would have thought Blackwood (both teams, one in div 1 the other in div 2), Kennilworth, Meadows and Kangarilla would be the most logical teams to join the comp?

Kangarilla have pretty much signalled they wanna be a big fish in a small pond. I'd like to think Blackwood would love to prove themselves in the SFL Div 1 comp?

The SFL has a whole will not but I bet there are some teams in the SFL thinking about it and not just the bottom teams. Kangarilla will never come back, they enjoy their success too much plus they don't have juniors which would be an SFL pre-requisite, same for Kenilworth. Blackwood have sniffed but that is about as far as that has gone.
Old and Grey
Mini-League

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Kenilworth do have juniors,5 teams in fact.But there is no chance in hell they will join the SFL. They are the second oldest team in the SAAFL and have been apart of it for almost 100 years. The SFL asked for applicants in the Sunday Mail at the end of last year but got no where. Mean while it is fact that Brighton,Marion and Morphettville Park enquired (And that only) about joining the SAAFL during the off season. The SAAFL promotion/ relegation system is the best system going around and is extremely rare a team does not (at least) make the finals at least once every 3-4 years.Plus it keeps people fresh when they are playing against at least 4 different clubs every year. If you do not play footy each year to win the flag you are wasting your time and when there is realistically 25% off the teams competing that are able to do so (In the SFL),it will not be too long before clubs can not cope or go off and join another league.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 773 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Cheech » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:07 pm

I dont believe that. Cove 5 years ago were nothing much to talk about - now they are one of the top three in one of the strongest leagues going around.... excluding the hackhams/morphettville pk's. I mean even Aldinga have come a long in leaps and bounds this year... I think long term rivalries between clubs are great which can't happen in SAAFL because of the relegation/promotion rules. Also Because it takes so much hard work to get to the top in the SFL - premierships mean so much more to the clubs involved.

Maybe this is why Brighton/Morphettville pk and Marion decided to stay in the comp? And not take the soft option and play against "easier" teams in lower SAAFL divisions...

So to any teams struggling in the SFL comp and thinking of changing.... have fun travelling to Smithfield etc on a Saturday... I'll enjoy my 5 min drive down the road!!
Cheech
Rookie

Postby Old and Grey » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:48 am

Cheech wrote:I dont believe that. Cove 5 years ago were nothing much to talk about - now they are one of the top three in one of the strongest leagues going around.... excluding the hackhams/morphettville pk's. I mean even Aldinga have come a long in leaps and bounds this year... I think long term rivalries between clubs are great which can't happen in SAAFL because of the relegation/promotion rules. Also Because it takes so much hard work to get to the top in the SFL - premierships mean so much more to the clubs involved.

Maybe this is why Brighton/Morphettville pk and Marion decided to stay in the comp? And not take the soft option and play against "easier" teams in lower SAAFL divisions...

So to any teams struggling in the SFL comp and thinking of changing.... have fun travelling to Smithfield etc on a Saturday... I'll enjoy my 5 min drive down the road!!

Cove have just been blessed with a huge growth rate in the area over those last five years!
Old and Grey
Mini-League

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Old and Grey wrote:
Cheech wrote:I dont believe that. Cove 5 years ago were nothing much to talk about - now they are one of the top three in one of the strongest leagues going around.... excluding the hackhams/morphettville pk's. I mean even Aldinga have come a long in leaps and bounds this year... I think long term rivalries between clubs are great which can't happen in SAAFL because of the relegation/promotion rules. Also Because it takes so much hard work to get to the top in the SFL - premierships mean so much more to the clubs involved.

Cove have just been blessed with a huge growth rate in the area over those last five years!

Thats true but so have Aldinga? It's not bout being lucky its about taking your opportunities when they come Morphett Vale hadn't won a flag for 20 years before this run Reynella haven't won it in even longer do you think either of those clubs haven't had hard times? Morphies are just making sure they make the most of there opportunities and doing a good job of it Noarlunga had a 4 yr period and only got 1 flag out of it! Mind you you could probably count the original noarlunga players on one hand.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 73 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Old and Grey » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:48 pm

Thats true but so have Aldinga? It's not bout being lucky its about taking your opportunities when they come Morphett Vale hadn't won a flag for 20 years before this run Reynella haven't won it in even longer do you think either of those clubs haven't had hard times? Morphies are just making sure they make the most of there opportunities and doing a good job of it Noarlunga had a 4 yr period and only got 1 flag out of it! Mind you you could probably count the original noarlunga players on one hand.[/quote]

Plus the $60,000 that went with it.
Old and Grey
Mini-League

Postby The Girth » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:50 pm

I think that blackwood would like to prove themselves in the hills comp befor they make a move as the seem to be offering a lot of coin for nothing in return
The Girth
Under 16s

Postby THE BARKING SPIDERS » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:07 pm

The Girth wrote:

I think that blackwood would like to prove themselves in the hills comp befor they make a move as the seem to be offering a lot of coin for nothing in return

NOT TO GOOD ON ME HISTORY OF SFL BUT DIDNT BLACKWOOD LEAVE SFL IN THE 90's ALONG WITH PLYMPTON & MITCHELL PARK
THE BARKING SPIDERS
Under 16s

Postby croc11 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:25 pm

That is spot on - lets face the facts

1. In the past couple of years, Kangarilla and McLaren Vale left the league
2. No club will want to leave their league unless they know that they will get a real tangible benefit - why would Blackwood want to leave the Hills and why would a struggling Amateur Club in Div 4,5 or 6 want to join the SFL and also get flogged

The fact is that this talk of 2 Divs will only wreck the competition in the long run. Cove who are now a powerhouse would not have got a Div 1 guernsey if they kept 2 Divs and how very ordinary to see them in the local garb talking about the best thing for the comp if we could have 2 Divs.

Once again - 5 years ago - Cove were struggling, Morphett Vale were struggling - the wheel changes if clubs work hard.

That is the key - in the end, the struggling clubs will eventually have to make a decision to either perish or join the Amateurs in a very low level.

We have to get over this hurdle of getting stuck into the comp. Have faith brothers - it will in the end turn.

Last year 6 teams could have won the comp on their day if injuries or whatever didn't occur - that is a very healthy comp in itself.

In Div 1 Amateurs, you have 2-3 clubs with a chance and the rest are just trying to survive and Adelaide Uni after 100 years of playing in Div 1 are going to struggle to stay up - so much for history.

Let's keep the tribal nature of the SFL alive and if clubs decide to taste the Amateurs for their egos - go for it - you will soon find that playing on a Saturday afternoon with only the B Grade playing before you, that you wish like hell you were back playing in a very good comp albeit for a few weeks when the top sides get their way - but as I have said before, the wheel can turn pretty quickly in footy.

It is up to Sthn Hawks and Morphy Park as the first instance to improve (and get some juniors for a start - otherwise this will continue to occur for years and years) wherever you play and the rest of the clubs in the lower tier to strive for continued improvement.

Amen!
croc11

Postby Old and Grey » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:52 am

croc11 wrote:
It is up to Sthn Hawks and Morphy Park as the first instance to improve (and get some juniors for a start - otherwise this will continue to occur for years and years) wherever you play and the rest of the clubs in the lower tier to strive for continued improvement.

Amen!

Well how about Morphettvale send some kids over to the Hawks, Reynella send some over to Lonsdale, Brighton send some over to Morphy Parks, Cove send some etc etc.
Old and Grey
Mini-League

Postby RRR » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:33 am

Brighton could easlily merge with SHOCs and play Div 2 in the saafl as an option. I know SHOC are playing some home games at Brighton Oval, they share the same geographical location, a lot of Brighton players went to SHC also. It could form a pretty powerful club both financially and on field. The college could send its school juniors to play underage at Brighton/SHOC and not other clubs like PHOS and edwardstown and have the spin offs of the large $ grassroots payouts from the AFL of players that get drafted. SHC usually have a few each year.
RRR
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL