Southern Hawks

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Hawks

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:47 pm

It appears the Hackham under 16's are quite competitive and that if all the under 18's were actually playing under 18's they would also be quite OK. I've also seen the year 6/7 side play this year and there's some real talent in that group.

Club has to focus on juniors and get some coaches in who may be able to follow the kids into Seniors. I suggested on SFL forum that the A grade team should play in the B grade comp for next couple of years. If they can then get 25-30 regular senior players fighting for 21 spots each week without bringing up juniors then this will only improve things as well.

Any thoughts Hackham people ?
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 288 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby tunit » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:24 pm

I have been told that the Kelly boys are renowned for leaving clubs half way thru the year, they are a disgrace and should look at themselves real hard, Hackham weren't doing to bad until the weekend, the Kelly's are a disgrace.
tunit

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Navy2005 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:23 pm

Down the Hill wrote:It appears the Hackham under 16's are quite competitive and that if all the under 18's were actually playing under 18's they would also be quite OK. I've also seen the year 6/7 side play this year and there's some real talent in that group.

Club has to focus on juniors and get some coaches in who may be able to follow the kids into Seniors. I suggested on SFL forum that the A grade team should play in the B grade comp for next couple of years. If they can then get 25-30 regular senior players fighting for 21 spots each week without bringing up juniors then this will only improve things as well.

Any thoughts Hackham people ?

Down th Hill I agree with you that yes Hackham must concentrate on their junior program now as this is the only long term solution I can see for the Hawks.
I don't agree with the B Grade idea though because if you take the Hackham A Grade out of the sysytem juniors won't want to play at Hackham as they will as there is nothing for them to progress to.
Navy2005
Under 16s

Postby rodney fox » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Navy2005 wrote:
Down th Hill I agree with you that yes Hackham must concentrate on their junior program now as this is the only long term solution I can see for the Hawks.
I don't agree with the B Grade idea though because if you take the Hackham A Grade out of the sysytem juniors won't want to play at Hackham as they will as there is nothing for them to progress to.

I have to agree with you Navy. I'd be taking the B grade out before the a grade. It's a hard situation for sure. Still think Hackham will be ok they have done it hard before, this is no different. Absolute Dog Act by the Kelly's - unless there is another side were not hearing?
If not...poor form, good luck getting a gig anywhere else.
rodney fox
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:10 pm

rodney fox wrote:
Navy2005 wrote:

I have to agree with you Navy. I'd be taking the B grade out before the a grade. It's a hard situation for sure. Still think Hackham will be ok they have done it hard before, this is no different. Absolute Dog Act by the Kelly's - unless there is another side were not hearing?

Progress to what though. An A grade team that will still get flogged most weeks. A current decent Under 18 is just as likely to go to a Morphett Vale or Noarlunga and end up playing B or C grade in the first instance anyway. Inject some pride in the club and guernsey for the younger ones coming through and field a more competitive A grade side in the B grade comp. Get these juniors to aspire to compete well in the B grade comp as A grade Hackham players and then seek re-entry to the A grade comp when performances justify. In the SAAFL there are clubs in A6 and A7 that play against C grade teams from the stronger clubs all the time so whats the difference. Hackham have won one game in 3 years and that was against a very weak Aldinga by 15 points in 2006. Actually I think Aldinga may be the only side they've beaten for 4 or 5 years.

Remember Port Elliott. They got publicity for all the wrong reasons which managed to help them attract players and become more competitive for one or two seasons and then ended up folding/merging with Goolwa anyway. That club now plays at Goolwa, gets called the Saints and bears little identity to Port Elliott.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 288 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Navy2005 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:18 pm

Navy2005 wrote:Who will the Hawks look to next? There must be some good coaches getting around waiting for an opportunity to coach personally I think Darren Blythman would make a good coach are there any other thought out there on who might make a good coach for the Hawks?

Would Jody Tassone (Noarlunga assistant coach) be interested in taking on the job he is a former Hackham captain and would have some respect down at the club.
Navy2005
Under 16s

Postby rodney fox » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:33 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
rodney fox wrote:
Navy2005 wrote:

Progress to what though. An A grade team that will still get flogged most weeks. A current decent Under 18 is just as likely to go to a Morphett Vale or Noarlunga and end up playing B or C grade in the first instance anyway. Inject some pride in the club and guernsey for the younger ones coming through and field a more competitive A grade side in the B grade comp. Get these juniors to aspire to compete well in the B grade comp as A grade Hackham players and then seek re-entry to the A grade comp when performances justify. In the SAAFL there are clubs in A6 and A7 that play against C grade teams from the stronger clubs all the time so whats the difference. Hackham have won one game in 3 years and that was against a very weak Aldinga by 15 points in 2006. Actually I think Aldinga may be the only side they've beaten for 4 or 5 years.

Remember Port Elliott. They got publicity for all the wrong reasons which managed to help them attract players and become more competitive for one or two seasons and then ended up folding/merging with Goolwa anyway. That club now plays at Goolwa, gets called the Saints and bears little identity to Port Elliott.

DTH I can see where you are coming from I just don't think its a good way to go. A club has an A grade because it is filled with their best 21, no matter how many people you have. I still don't think you could guage properly if they were going to just fill a B grade team when they are going to step up and have an A grade. It makes it a hard call I know they haven't even said anything about this and don't think they will but I cant see them getting any better or gaining players to just fill a strong (stronger) B grade.
rodney fox
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Navy2005 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:51 am

Have to agree with you Rodney I think Hackham must continue to battle on in the A-Grade. Just a question though obvious something brought the Kelly boys to the club in the first place was it just motivation of cash? An on that point how fifnancial are the Hawks?
Navy2005
Under 16s

Postby Navy2005 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:26 am

Has the coaching position been sort out yet down at Hackham?
Navy2005
Under 16s

Postby City Mad Hustler » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:59 am

Over here in Pt Lincoln my club Bostons were struggling for 6 or 7 years getting thrashed every week. 2 years ago we tried something different and played 5 or so A grade players in the B grade and then back up again in the A grade but we were beaten in the Bs and 3 A graders playing got injured and our As got thrashed again (to my memory Barry Johncock kicked 28 that day). So from then on we forfieted the B grade for the rest of the season and still had some U17 players playing 2 games. It worked and the usual B grade players stepped up playing A grade and gave their all and we still lost but not by as much.
Since then we did some good recruiting and won our first A grade game in 6 years and went on to the first final. This year recruited well again and still very competitive.
So what im saying is maybe Hackham need to forfiet their B grade and try and be a bit more competitive in the As and do some serious recruiting. We didnt recruit players that were just playing for $ but guys that wanted to help the club and stick around for a few years and turn things around.
Do you always drink this much?
No i was sober for 11 years...
What happened?
I turned 12!
City Mad Hustler
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Bag The Points » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:24 pm

Navy2005 wrote:
Navy2005 wrote:Who will the Hawks look to next? There must be some good coaches getting around waiting for an opportunity to coach personally I think Darren Blythman would make a good coach are there any other thought out there on who might make a good coach for the Hawks?

Would Jody Tassone (Noarlunga assistant coach) be interested in taking on the job he is a former Hackham captain and would have some respect down at the club.

The only way to find out would be to ask Mr. Tassone, but I don't like your chances. Think you'll find he's now too interested in Noarlunga. It would also be nice to get Shaw and Despott back, but that would also be unlikely for the same reason.
That's the problem when you drop out for a year. The good ones find new homes and get settled. It's almost impossible get them back.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:42 pm

Bag The Points wrote:
Navy2005 wrote:

The only way to find out would be to ask Mr. Tassone, but I don't like your chances. Think you'll find he's now too interested in Noarlunga. It would also be nice to get Shaw and Despott back, but that would also be unlikely for the same reason.
That's the problem when you drop out for a year. The good ones find new homes and get settled. It's almost impossible get them back.

Good blokes Matty and Rosco. What a pathetic effort to walk out on a club like that. His comments in the messenger made my jaw drop "The list was not what I was told it would be when I took the job".........pathetic, as a coach you have take some responsibility for the blokes who are not training. if there are other genuine reasons for not continuing I take back what I have written but fair dinkum thats low.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times

Postby southee » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:16 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
Bag The Points wrote:
Navy2005 wrote:

Good blokes Matty and Rosco. What a pathetic effort to walk out on a club like that. His comments in the messenger made my jaw drop "The list was not what I was told it would be when I took the job".........pathetic, as a coach you have take some responsibility for the blokes who are not training. if there are other genuine reasons for not continuing I take back what I have written but fair dinkum thats low.

Have to agree, the Kelly's came to the job, knew what they had and were faced ahead with the club. To read that comment in the local rag was a joke. I still cant believe you would walk when it gets to hard. Was the $$$$'s the main interest to coach the Hawks in the 1st place??
Would another club hire them now?
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Bag The Points » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:29 am

Just heard that Dave Kelly may yet continue. My latest mail is that he has been injured and has not quit like his brother ------ has told the club that he is not his brother and intends to play on. My source also tells me that the other brother, Paul, was starting to struggle with the aging body and wasn't going to be able to carry on anyway.
Might have been only Scott who has let them down.
Let's hope this is the case because Dave's continuance would sure help them.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Navy2005 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:45 pm

Certainly hope that Dave Kelly does continue on down at Hackham. Some of the young Hawks players will learn alot from him.
Navy2005
Under 16s

Postby Navy2005 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:59 am

City Mad Hustler wrote:Over here in Pt Lincoln my club Bostons were struggling for 6 or 7 years getting thrashed every week. 2 years ago we tried something different and played 5 or so A grade players in the B grade and then back up again in the A grade but we were beaten in the Bs and 3 A graders playing got injured and our As got thrashed again (to my memory Barry Johncock kicked 28 that day). So from then on we forfieted the B grade for the rest of the season and still had some U17 players playing 2 games. It worked and the usual B grade players stepped up playing A grade and gave their all and we still lost but not by as much.
Since then we did some good recruiting and won our first A grade game in 6 years and went on to the first final. This year recruited well again and still very competitive.
So what im saying is maybe Hackham need to forfiet their B grade and try and be a bit more competitive in the As and do some serious recruiting. We didnt recruit players that were just playing for $ but guys that wanted to help the club and stick around for a few years and turn things around.

CMH I think your pretty right there are no quick fix solutions just have to recruit people whio want to be part of the long term solution. Yes the Hawks will cop hiding but they will only get better and junior will start to come thru.
Navy2005
Under 16s

Postby the observer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:43 am

Lets not kid ourselves you have to applaud them for the effort as it would take greater effort to keep a club afloat than one going well but pin your hopes on juniors when they are being belted as well. History shows that most in that enviroment either give up move on or just accept the situation and go along with it.At even the best of clubs the % of youth come through to A grade is very low. I have no solution unfortunately.
the observer
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Navy2005 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:22 pm

the observer wrote:Lets not kid ourselves you have to applaud them for the effort as it would take greater effort to keep a club afloat than one going well but pin your hopes on juniors when they are being belted as well. History shows that most in that enviroment either give up move on or just accept the situation and go along with it.At even the best of clubs the % of youth come through to A grade is very low. I have no solution unfortunately.

Observer I have to agree with you that is certainly the case and while the junior continue to get belted the better juniors in the area will head to Morphett Vales, Noarlunga, Christie Beach, Port Noarlunga and so on and they are the ones more likely to become senior players eventually. But to Hackham credit they are battling on some of the junior will come thru, maybe not many but as the losses become less severe more people will start to take and interest in the Hawks and then numbers may start to flourish.
I have heard the social club have lots of cash certainly be nice if they put a few more dollars into the footy club. Would it be a good idea for the club to buy a couple of good players just to help guide the other blokes thru?
Navy2005
Under 16s

Postby Bag The Points » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:27 pm

The Hawks owe massive heaps to Graham Thompson. This man has worked his butt off to keep the club on its feet. I really hope they survive for, among other reasons, Thommo's faith must get rewarded.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Bag The Points » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Not sure how much pull the Hawks have in respect to the social club ---- probably have "Buckleys" hope of getting them to buy them a player.
However, I have had thoughts over the past year or two that the situations Hackham and Aldinga have found themselves in could be the exception to the "bought players don't work" principle. The Hawks need goals on the board to encourage good junior talent to stay there (just as the Sharks need at least some success to stop Willunga bleeding them dry).
I believe bought players rarely win Flags, but they can get them up the ladder.
Not easy to do though, if you don't have the means to do it.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL