One Division or Two?

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Should the SFL remain in one division or two?

One Division
13%
Two Divisions
87%

Total votes : 167

Re: One Division or Two?

Postby vics01 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:01 pm

EV

I wonder if you would have the same opinion if cove made the finals this year. Maybe a millimeter of self interest?

None what so ever.
It raises the point it should be every team starting at the same point. Take Reynella for instance if the rumours are true they have lost a lot of players how do they replace them with 6 less points than the 4 basket cases?? Maybe they might be the club that misses, that would be a misjustice of the highest. Start every team on 15 points and decide from there. CB would around the mark for the top ten how would they feel being duped by a club with a greater ability to recruit??
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby barry footynut » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:55 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
vics01 wrote:
CF
After everyone has played each other once the top 8 or 10 (which ever it may be) in Div 1. Or the top 8 or 10 that have 14's to 18's in Div 1.The rest in div 2.

Good in theory, however how do you account for M/Park, Hackham, Aldinga and Marion having extra points with which to recruit and field a side each week for season 2012??

How do you decide that M/park go to Div 1 when finishing 10th and the 11th side who does not have the extra player points is Div 2?

I think maybe a period of the last 6 to 8 years should be used to measure where clubs are at.

I wonde if you would have the same opinion if cove made the finals this year. Maybe a millimeter of self interest?

Sounds like the Pres is thinking 11th spot is on the cards for the cobras In 2012 ?? Maybe that's the reason for the disappointment ??
barry footynut
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

One Division or Two?

Postby Turbo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:07 am

barry footynut wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:
vics01 wrote:
CF
After everyone has played each other once the top 8 or 10 (which ever it may be) in Div 1. Or the top 8 or 10 that have 14's to 18's in Div 1.The rest in div 2.

Good in theory, however how do you account for M/Park, Hackham, Aldinga and Marion having extra points with which to recruit and field a side each week for season 2012??

How do you decide that M/park go to Div 1 when finishing 10th and the 11th side who does not have the extra player points is Div 2?

I think maybe a period of the last 6 to 8 years should be used to measure where clubs are at.

I wonde if you would have the same opinion if cove made the finals this year. Maybe a millimeter of self interest?

Sounds like the Pres is thinking 11th spot is on the cards for the cobras In 2012 ?? Maybe that's the reason for the disappointment ??

Yeah you'd know
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Rush a Point » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:43 am

vics01 wrote:
EV

I wonder if you would have the same opinion if cove made the finals this year. Maybe a millimeter of self interest?

None what so ever.
It raises the point it should be every team starting at the same point. Take Reynella for instance if the rumours are true they have lost a lot of players how do they replace them with 6 less points than the 4 basket cases?? Maybe they might be the club that misses, that would be a misjustice of the highest. Start every team on 15 points and decide from there. CB would around the mark for the top ten how would they feel being duped by a club with a greater ability to recruit??

I think that is time something is done about the teams that get extra points. I hear Hackham is offering good money to U18 players from South Adelaide (probably need to read the rules ie 3 year rule), Marion are offering money to U16 kids going into Under 18's (probably need to read the rules), Morphettville Park are offering money to U16 kids going into Under 18's (probably need to read the rules).

I hear that some of the big clubs are not happy about this and if it continues there could be a challenge to these clubs having extra points. The only way these clubs are going to be successful and be in Div 1 is if they develop their own juniors. Recruiting juniors from other clubs is not the way to do it. Do the hard yards.
Rush a Point

Been liked: 1 time

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:18 pm

I think that is time something is done about the teams that get extra points. I hear Hackham is offering good money to U18 players from South Adelaide (probably need to read the rules ie 3 year rule), Marion are offering money to U16 kids going into Under 18's (probably need to read the rules), Morphettville Park are offering money to U16 kids going into Under 18's (probably need to read the rules).

I hear that some of the big clubs are not happy about this and if it continues there could be a challenge to these clubs having extra points. The only way these clubs are going to be successful and be in Div 1 is if they develop their own juniors. Recruiting juniors from other clubs is not the way to do it. Do the hard yards.[/quote]

Care to say where you heard this from (paying juniors) I think you may be dreaming it. Can only speak from my club but we do not pay juniors to play at the Morphettville Park Football Club and never will. We have worked harder than most clubs to get our juniors up and running, in 09 we only had under 10's and 12's and in 2012 we hope to have 8,10,12,14,16 and 18's, they may be on sundays but thats better than not having them at all. I don't care if kids come across from other clubs. If there not happy and aren't getting much of a game at there current club why not go to a club where they may get a chance. Everyone out there wants all clubs to have junior teams but you need to face facts, when trying to get older grades going they have to come from somewhere and it's impossible to find 18 kids off the street that aren't playing football somewhere else.
To comment on the the extra points, we have an extra 3 point in 2012 and in 2013 we will be equal with all the other clubs. This is where we hope the under 18's will come through and turn into senior players for the club. Not having senior colts is why we needed the extra points. If you don't have juniors coming through the points system will kill your club. It has taken us a few years to get where we are and we won't stop until we have got a team in each grade, that includes 14's and 16's playing on saturdays.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:36 pm

If we can get one more club to come across to the SFL I think it should look like this of season 2013. Two divs of 8 teams (only my opinion) and will need to see what the ladder looks like at the end of round 14 next year.

Div 1
Brighton, Morphett Vale, Reynella, Noarlunga, Happy Valley, Port Noarlunga, Flaggstaff Hill, Cove

Div 2
Morphettville Park, Edwardstown, Christies Beach, Aldinga, OSB/Lonsdale, Marion, Hackham and new club.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times

Postby Madportsman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:54 am

Rush a Point wrote:
vics01 wrote:[b]

None what so ever.

I hear that some of the big clubs are not happy about this and if it continues there could be a challenge to these clubs having extra points. The only way these clubs are going to be successful and be in Div 1 is if they develop their own juniors. Recruiting juniors from other clubs is not the way to do it. Do the hard yards.

One of the "big" clubs has just signed very talented Marion junior Aaron Robertson from what I hear. He played his first full season out of juniors this year. As if any club would be offering money to u/16 players :roll: I think you are just tossing a line in the water there!!!
Madportsman

Postby Rush a Point » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:37 am

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:I think that is time something is done about the teams that get extra points. I hear Hackham is offering good money to U18 players from South Adelaide (probably need to read the rules ie 3 year rule), Marion are offering money to U16 kids going into Under 18's (probably need to read the rules), Morphettville Park are offering money to U16 kids going into Under 18's (probably need to read the rules).

Care to say where you heard this from (paying juniors) I think you may be dreaming it. Can only speak from my club but we do not pay juniors to play at the Morphettville Park Football Club and never will. We have worked harder than most clubs to get our juniors up and running, in 09 we only had under 10's and 12's and in 2012 we hope to have 8,10,12,14,16 and 18's, they may be on sundays but thats better than not having them at all. I don't care if kids come across from other clubs. If there not happy and aren't getting much of a game at there current club why not go to a club where they may get a chance. Everyone out there wants all clubs to have junior teams but you need to face facts, when trying to get older grades going they have to come from somewhere and it's impossible to find 18 kids off the street that aren't playing football somewhere else.
To comment on the the extra points, we have an extra 3 point in 2012 and in 2013 we will be equal with all the other clubs. This is where we hope the under 18's will come through and turn into senior players for the club. Not having senior colts is why we needed the extra points. If you don't have juniors coming through the points system will kill your club. It has taken us a few years to get where we are and we won't stop until we have got a team in each grade, that includes 14's and 16's playing on saturdays.[/quote]

The players themselves told me.
Rush a Point

Postby Straight Line » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Rush a Point wrote:
WHEELS&DEALS wrote:I think that is time something is done about the teams that get extra points. I hear Hackham is offering good money to U18 players from South Adelaide (probably need to read the rules ie 3 year rule), Marion are offering money to U16 kids going into Under 18's (probably need to read the rules), Morphettville Park are offering money to U16 kids going into Under 18's (probably need to read the rules).

To comment on the the extra points, we have an extra 3 point in 2012 and in 2013 we will be equal with all the other clubs. This is where we hope the under 18's will come through and turn into senior players for the club. Not having senior colts is why we needed the extra points. If you don't have juniors coming through the points system will kill your club. It has taken us a few years to get where we are and we won't stop until we have got a team in each grade, that includes 14's and 16's playing on saturdays.

The players themselves told me.[/quote]

You must be speaking to a lot of juniors yourself then ;)
Straight Line
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby MatteeG » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:07 am

Back on topic lads. Apparently a President's meeting next week to further discuss the 2 Div movement.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Straight Line » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Monday night
Straight Line
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Patrol » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:29 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:If we can get one more club to come across to the SFL I think it should look like this of season 2013. Two divs of 8 teams (only my opinion) and will need to see what the ladder looks like at the end of round 14 next year.

Div 1
Brighton, Morphett Vale, Reynella, Noarlunga, Happy Valley, Port Noarlunga, Flaggstaff Hill, Cove

Div 2
Morphettville Park, Edwardstown, Christies Beach, Aldinga, OSB/Lonsdale, Marion, Hackham and new club.

If this was to happen and say a club(1or 2) that is a D1 team wants to join and has a full complement of teams, were do they go in D2 or do they have the right to be in D1.
to me i would place them in to D1 and this pushes out two long standing teams. (Pigs and Cobras)
Very messy it may become
Patrol

Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby giffo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Just to give you guys another perspective, we operate as one club with juniors and seniors. With U8,9,10,11,12,13,14 & 16 teams, we can't even fit all the juniors on the same ground on 1 day (evens at 1 ground, odds another) let alone on Saturday with the seniors, especially if we have a triple header with the C's at 10:15 (Imagine if we had 18's as well but that's a sore point). Promotion & relegation should be purely on your A grade teams performance. For example, there are clubs in the SAAFL in high divs with little or poorly performing junior teams (Portland, Seaton) and other clubs with full compliments of juniors in lower divs (Woodville South, Lockleys). I personally think you will have a better comp if you go to two divisions, just look at how close the Div 5 comp was last year. Woodville South got relegated but if they had won their last game they might've been playing finals!
giffo
Reserves

Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

2 division dribble

Postby asert » Thu May 10, 2012 11:54 am

All talk of how we need two divisions so the rest of us don't have to read it in the sfl thread. It comes up on a weekly basis almost and the same crap constantly. Now only people who care what is being written about it have to look at it and the rest of us can just not click on this thread. FFS
asert
League Bench Warmer

Re: 2 division dribble

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu May 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Ahh the old ignore it and it will go away theory...

Have you thought about applying for a spot on the SFL Board? You have just displayed all the right skills IMO.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Re: 2 division dribble

Postby lion heart » Thu May 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Ahh the old ignore it and it will go away theory...

Have you thought about applying for a spot on the SFL Board? You have just displayed all the right skills IMO.

HAHAAAA GOLD!!!

BTW thanks asert for wasting everyone's time and creating a new thread of a topic that already exists and is 6 pages long. :roll: If there was no talk on 2 divisions the SFL forum would be a ghost town
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 10, 2012 8:49 pm

Would they ever move the 14's & 16's to Sundays? I know there is a Sunday comp for these but having A's B's and 18's on the Saturday might make the 2 Div proposal easier to program?

Have the 14's and 16's follow on from the Subbies, makes it a huge junior footy day, also allows the college kids to play.

Just thinking out loud.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Postby afc9798 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:22 am

Dutchy wrote:Would they ever move the 14's & 16's to Sundays? I know there is a Sunday comp for these but having A's B's and 18's on the Saturday might make the 2 Div proposal easier to program?

Have the 14's and 16's follow on from the Subbies, makes it a huge junior footy day, also allows the college kids to play.

Just thinking out loud.

It's not a bad thought. Would still be difficult to program with some clubs having multiple teams, but easier and more attractive than the current scenario. Keep the 18's, B's and A's on a Saturday, would also allow A Grade to start at 2pm instead of 2-30pm which would be better as we get into early Winter darkness.

Then Sundays could be exclusively juniors and would keem people around the clubs to watch more footy. Would also even up the comp by all clubs having their strongest sides on Sundays. Would mean that junior co-ordinators wouldn't have to give up their entire weekends too.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Roo Ted » Fri May 11, 2012 11:00 am

I'd say from all the comments on here about 2 divisions most don't know that the SFL board are not able to contact other clubs in other leagues directly. They need these clubs to approach the SFL.

Why don't some of the club presidents/committees sit down with the SFL board, draft up a letter/invitation to go out to other clubs but is signed by all SFL club presidents. Have something in place from 2015 or when ever we propose a 2 division set up, with X number of teams in each and we want you to be part of it. Not hard.

as for which club goes in which division should be based on a 5-10 year review, not just 1.
Roo Ted

Postby afc9798 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Roo Ted wrote:I'd say from all the comments on here about 2 divisions most don't know that the SFL board are not able to contact other clubs in other leagues directly. They need these clubs to approach the SFL.

Why don't some of the club presidents/committees sit down with the SFL board, draft up a letter/invitation to go out to other clubs but is signed by all SFL club presidents. Have something in place from 2015 or when ever we propose a 2 division set up, with X number of teams in each and we want you to be part of it. Not hard.

as for which club goes in which division should be based on a 5-10 year review, not just 1.

I know the rules, but it's very naive to think that those discussions don't already take place in confidence, much the same way the SAAFA, Hills etc would talk to potential teams for their leagues. Many presidents from different clubs and leagues talk to each other. This would ignite interest if there was any. The big issues come with then getting it sold to the executive, the committee, players, members etc. not to mention the backlash from the league when this is attempted to be staged over a period.

Some leagues do it well, the SFL could learn a lesson in urgency and draft in some assistance to make things happen. I'm sure that the SFL has the good of the comp at heart, but until there is action, it will just die a slow, prolonged, agonising death. The SFL deserves to be and should be a flagship comp in SA, just needs some drive to make it happen. I'm always mindful when criticising the SFL that by and large they do a reasonable job and it takes a lot of people and volunteer time to make it happen, but this doesn't mean it can't be done a lot better with the same amount of effort.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL