SFL - Two divisions or one?

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

SFL - Two divisions or one?

Two divisions - Div 1 with 8 and Div 2 with 7 (both top four)
65%
One division - Div 1 with 15 and (top 8 )
35%

Total votes : 57

Re: SFL - Two divisions or one?

Postby AFLflyer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Bag The Points wrote:Shoes will be Flag contenders again within two or three years.

big statement !

hope your right.

SFL on the move 09! Morphies will start to decline (natural cylcle) big movers will be Noarlunga, pt noarlunga, marion
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby ChocolateNBlue » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:40 am

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
ChocolateNBlue wrote:Two division in the SFL is the way to go, looking in from the outside for the past eight years the top sides arent getting any worse and the bottom sides arent getting any better. Ladder positions have changed, but its still the same sides in the top and bottom halves.

Your kidding aren't you?

Noarlunga played in a few GF's in this period but would be far from that at the moment (sorry Shoe boy).
Marion in the same boat have 1 a flag in that period but a shadow of their former selves.
Cove have just won their first flag and weren't the premiers of the last year of the old Div 2 comp.
Even Morphett Vale only just scraped into the 8 in the first year of 1 Division so to say its the same teams for the last 8 years is well off the mark.

How can it be well off the mark?? Marion and Noarlunga have both sat mid table apart from the grand finals. and sides like christies, hackham, lonsdale, aldinga, morphy parks havent really pushed the top of the ladder consistently. What im saying is over the last eight years a high percentage of teams have finished in the same halves of the ladder, and with Edwardstown now in the mix it wont get any easier on the bottom sides, hence the need for two divs.
ChocolateNBlue

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:58 pm

AFLflyer wrote:
Bag The Points wrote:Shoes will be Flag contenders again within two or three years.

big statement !

hope your right.

SFL on the move 09! Morphies will start to decline (natural cylcle) big movers will be Noarlunga, pt noarlunga, marion

Why so? Have moprhies lost all their sponsors and the rest gathering rich benefactors? Judging by the past years ladder in the juniors alone, M/Vale will remain top 4 for at least 5 years, porties won't make it jump to serious finals contenders (same breath as Brighton, M/Vale, Cove, and soon to be Townies), Marion and Noarlunga, even in easy draw years, will not go higher than 8th in the foreseeable future.

Then again, the twisties turned it around with only a trickle of juniors installing a respected coach, revamped committee, and quality recruits (compared to a lot of suspect "high quality" recruits of the past that lower clubs seem to attract).
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:21 pm

I understand Flinders University are keen to move to the SFL if two divisions are adopted. However, I don't think this is a good move for either party; a) they don't have juniors and b) I have a hard time believing they would be competitive against most, if not all sides that finished outside the 8 in 2008.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby the big bang » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:39 am

Esteban Vihaio wrote:I understand Flinders University are keen to move to the SFL if two divisions are adopted. However, I don't think this is a good move for either party; a) they don't have juniors and b) I have a hard time believing they would be competitive against most, if not all sides that finished outside the 8 in 2008.

are they really that bad? i dont know much at all about any SAAFL teams.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby rodney fox » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:16 am

the_big_bang wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:I understand Flinders University are keen to move to the SFL if two divisions are adopted. However, I don't think this is a good move for either party; a) they don't have juniors and b) I have a hard time believing they would be competitive against most, if not all sides that finished outside the 8 in 2008.

are they really that bad? i dont know much at all about any SAAFL teams.

TBB in our trial with a very underated side we beat them by about 20 odd goals.

The only way I would go for two Divs would be at least 9 or 10 team comps with forced relegation.

That is one thing the GSFL have spot on, a 10 team comp is ideal. Willunga have been freaks to win 5 in a row, I'd think that a 10 team comp would be enough to help the cycle of lower clubs only last a couple of years.

There is no way they will ever let us in.
rodney fox
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Buddah_44 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:54 pm

in a 2 div. system wherein 14 sides div 1 and shoes div 2 :lol:
*dream over*
"My cats breath smells like cat food!"
Buddah_44
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL