EURO 2008

The World Game

EURO 2008

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:58 am

England 3 - Andora 0

Stevie G scored twice and DOMINATED. (Very ordinary dive in the 1st half though)

Being a spurs man, I'm awarding the 3rd goal to Defoe. Nugent can bugger off!!!

Pretty ordinary display by the poms IMO. Johnson is a HACK. Roooooooonie isn't far behind. He plays like he's got it all and done it all - arrogant tool!

Divers 2 - Scotland 0

The Italian diving squad had complete control in the 2nd half.

Materazzi is a SPANNER!!!! Stand up idiot - nobody touched you!!!!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Re: EURO 2008

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 am

devilsadvocate wrote:England 3 - Andora 0

Stevie G scored twice and DOMINATED. (Very ordinary dive in the 1st half though)

Being a spurs man, I'm awarding the 3rd goal to Defoe. Nugent can bugger off!!!

Pretty ordinary display by the poms IMO. Johnson is a HACK. Roooooooonie isn't far behind. He plays like he's got it all and done it all - arrogant tool!

Divers 2 - Scotland 0

The Italian diving squad had complete control in the 2nd half.

Materazzi is a SPANNER!!!! Stand up idiot - nobody touched you!!!!

Poms a disgrace. Part time Andorra disgrace. Rooney took some pretty sh1tty provocation all night.Andorra's game plan, diving, poor tackles, spent all night trying to spoil the game, time wasting. Some England players getting hot under the collar about it but should have done a lot better, a team without confidence, shape or game plan. Mc Claren is a no hoper and we will be very lucky to qualify. :twisted:
Andorra played the game to suit them but it made for very poor watching.
Highlight was SG's 2 goals.
Sorry DA, it was Nugents and he has claimed it. Team looked better when Defoe came on though.

PS

Have some info for you. Will PM you at the week end. 'Cousin JTC' :wink:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:24 am

Yeah Nugent has claimed it. Oh well, it was all about Defoes touch!

Stevie G's goals were awesome. He really steps up on the big stage.

On the England Coaching role, this may be a crazy proposition, but what do you think about getting the great Sir Ferg to take the reigns? I understand it would be an almost impossible job to prize him away from MU. Or even have him playing a double role with both national and club jobs? Hiddink managed with PSV and South Korea/Australia.

Despite loving seeing England lose the cricket and hating see them win the rugby world cup 4 years ago, for me the football side slips into the 'underdog' category because the've been down for so long (due to their big time underachievement). I'd actually really like to see them get up and win Euro or the next world cup (unless Australia has a chance of course!!). Big changes are needed first though!

Look forward to your info cous'! Thanks for helping me out!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:32 am

You guys would follow this closer than I, so a couple of questions for you lads:

1. When Fran Lamp Hard returns, should he return to the Central midfield role or are England better served retaining Stevie G in that spot?

2. If you were the decision makers behind the scenes, which Gaffers (free reign, whether they are currenty available or unavailable) would you target to manage them?

3. Presuming the Poms qualify, what is their strikeforce like? Would you push to include an underdone Michael Owen?

Cheers,
CP
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3012 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby RoosterMarty » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:48 am

The biggest game of the weekend was Wales defeating the might of San Marino 3-0. Giggs scored the first, Bale then scored a brilliant 2nd, and then Koumas added a very very lucky penalty in the 2nd half. The defending was average at best.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:08 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:You guys would follow this closer than I, so a couple of questions for you lads:

1. When Fran Lamp Hard returns, should he return to the Central midfield role or are England better served retaining Stevie G in that spot?

2. If you were the decision makers behind the scenes, which Gaffers (free reign, whether they are currenty available or unavailable) would you target to manage them?

3. Presuming the Poms qualify, what is their strikeforce like? Would you push to include an underdone Michael Owen?

Cheers,
CP

Hey CP

I try to follow it as best I can, but am certainly no expert. However:

1. Stevie G is by far and away the better player IMO and England look better in midfield when he's in there alone. The two players play the same role effectively and when they are on the park together it doesn't really work. Lampard is an awesome player, but I think Stevie G is the better choice.

2. As stated, Sir Ferg should be their target, however it could be worth having a look at Roy Keane (despite being Irish)? He's done good job to pull Sunderland up to within striking distance of an EPL return. Or even Gareth Southgate? Couldn't possibly be worse than McLaren.

3. Apparently Owen is being rushed back for their next qualifier (against Russia I think). He's badly needed in a forward line that's given bugger all so far. I am a little biased, but I honestly believe Defoe has been good up forward in his limited chances. The only problem with having Defoe and Owen partner up is their size - both bloody small, but offset by their pace and touch. I reckon McLaren should give it a go - he's got nothing to lose because his job is slipping away FAST!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:39 pm

Cheers DA,

I'm a Defoe fan I must admit, so perhaps a pairing of Crouch (when healed) and Defoe (Owen can late sub for him to ease his wayback in?) up front could be a good blend, with other contributions coming from further up the field?
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3012 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:46 pm

Yeah that would work well Crouch and Defoe/Owen.

Leave Wayne 'Shrek' Rooney out until he: 1. starts scoring/playing well, 2. Proves he actually wants to be there and 3. Drops the attitude and starts acting like an adult.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby westies sarge » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:12 pm

im happy malta drew 1 all and geece lost to turkey haha
SHARE THE PASSION WAFC 2010 GO U BLOODS ON THE WAY UP
westies sarge
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:35 am

devilsadvocate wrote:Yeah Nugent has claimed it. Oh well, it was all about Defoes touch!

Stevie G's goals were awesome. He really steps up on the big stage.

On the England Coaching role, this may be a crazy proposition, but what do you think about getting the great Sir Ferg to take the reigns? I understand it would be an almost impossible job to prize him away from MU. Or even have him playing a double role with both national and club jobs? Hiddink managed with PSV and South Korea/Australia.

Despite loving seeing England lose the cricket and hating see them win the rugby world cup 4 years ago, for me the football side slips into the 'underdog' category because the've been down for so long (due to their big time underachievement). I'd actually really like to see them get up and win Euro or the next world cup (unless Australia has a chance of course!!). Big changes are needed first though!

Look forward to your info cous'! Thanks for helping me out!

The problem with being the England manager is that you are dealing with a bunch of players that are all multi millioaires, or will be by the end of their career. You can't manage them.
Fergie would never take the job because he would have no control over the players, unlike at Man U. It's a no win job for anyone.

Step out of line and you're out quicker than an England opener in an Ashes series. Thats how Fergie runs the club, ask Jap Stam, Dave Beckham and a host of others. You don't have that luxury with the national team because the EPL is bigger than England FC.

I think Curbishley or even Pardew would do a better job because of their man management style. Most of the current England squad are a bunch of prima donnas that think they are bigger than England and play like it. FL is a good example.

PS Sorry cous, info will be Monday now. Sorry, but won't let you down. One of my clients is a Recruitment agency and they are getting some stuff together for me. Also some stuff for your missus.

JTC
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:01 am

Constance_Perm wrote:You guys would follow this closer than I, so a couple of questions for you lads:

Cheers,
CP

IMHO

Don't think FL and SG can play in same team. They play in the same position for their respective clubs and both have the same style. Attacking midfield.
When FL plays Gerrard is forced to play on the right side of midfield and expected to play a holding role. This is totally alien to him and last nights 2 goals from centre / left proves the point. Lampard is completely out of form for England yet is a different player when it comes to Chelski.
for England Gerrard persists in drifting into midfield which takes the width away from Englands play and simply conjests the midfield to the point that they are getting in each others way. Gerrard is crap in a defensive right sided role as he plays an attacking role at Liverpool.
England need to play the English 4 4 2 game with Hargreaves or Carrick playing the holding midfiled role, allowing Gerrard or Lampard to go forward, with Lennon on the Right and Downing on the Left as out and out wingers.

Mc Clarens tactics begger belief. Last time he played Lennon on the left, even though he is a right footed, right sided winger, that plays on the right for Spurs week in week out. Totally out of position and totally out of the game for 88 minutes. He plays Gerrard on the right side of midfield in a holding role, when he plays attacking left sided midfield week in week out for Liverpool. Result, no drive forward, huge bloody holes on our right side and our defence constantly exposed without a sweeper. :twisted:
Mc Claren is the Tony Blair of football, all his team in the wrong positions, full of spin and no game plan :twisted:

Like I said, I think Curbishley, Pardew or even Martin O'Neill would do a good job, because they have good man management skills and that is more important at this level. Managing England or any other country for that matter is like being Jose Moaninio at Chelski. Money is no object, so you can sign up the 'very best the counrty has to offer' Imagine how much it would cost to buy Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Hargreaves, Cole and Co yet as England manager that exactly what you can do.

I wouldn't play Owen at all. To inusry prone, been out of the action for too long and I think he has probably lost a yard or too over the last 2 or 3 years. The hype for him to play is over rated. You can sense the media just waiting for the right time to get on the band wagon and heil as our saving messiah. For me DeFoe makes a much better partner up front for Rooney. Looked more danger ous when he came on against mighty Andorra. Defoe has a good understanding of rooneys style and Rooney knows where Defoe is going to be. Don't think Andy Johnson has what it takes, so finding a 3rd and 4th striker to support Rooney and Defoe will not be easy. The EPL is choked with foreign talent. Nugent isn't the answer either. Darren Bent at Charlton might be worth another punt. Scores a hatful for in a club that is a real possibility for relegation this year so chances in a poor team are that much harder to come by.

Sorry about the book, but you did ask :roll:
johntheclaret
Coach

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer