And gets fouled in the Penalty box
PENALTY
Ecky takes the penalty and converts
GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

Thats a scenario
QUESTIONS

A Should the player who was fouled [Dutchy] take the kick
B Why should Ecky[who scored the penalty] get the kick
C Should the penalty be a goal in the stats to Ecky [who scored] or Dutchy[who was fouled]
D should the goal be a team goal and not awarded to any player

I recall watching Man Utd games a fair bit about a decade ago
Man Utd , who seemingly get thier fair share of penaltys got thier speciallist penalty converter Rudi Van Oosteroy[spelling ?] to take them
From memory he got the most goals that season, but may not of if he didnt get the penalties

MY OPINION
It should go to the player that was fouled
Unless he is incapacitated after that particular foul
At very worst the fouled played played should be credited with the goal
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1170 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: Penaltys

Postby JK » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:59 am

It can be difficult to comprehend Mal for those of us coming from an Aussie Rules background, but I don't think there's too many problems with how it operates.

The player who wins the penalty gets awarded the "Assist" if the spot-kick is converted, as I understand it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Il Duce » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:55 am

ruud van nistelrooy.

I'm happy the way it is, who ever scores it should get it.
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby RoosterMarty » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:06 pm

Rudi Van Oosteroy was a total gun.

CP is right as well, the winner of the penalty gets the assists, I just thought of something though.. what if the winner of the penalty takes the kick and scores it? Do they get a goal AND assist? ;)

The way it is at the moment is fine as well.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:38 am

It's only in recent years that the "assist" has been introduced.

Who takes it is credited with the goal and that's fine as it is imo Grezza, Grezza, Grezza
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby redandblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:04 pm

I agree with you 100%, Mal. I've asked this question before.

A penalty is presumably awarded to compensate for a foul on a player in a position to possibly score.

Why on earth should someone who might have been 50 metres away score a goal?

Totally illogiical.

Don't get me started on penalties - I saw the last Melbourne one against Adelaide.
redandblack

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Agree, it's like fouling a bloke in basketball and having their best shooter take the shots. (Tech foul aside).

If some dud is in the box, chop him down I say.....if you give away the penalty so be it.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:31 am

redandblack wrote:I agree with you 100%, Mal. I've asked this question before.

A penalty is presumably awarded to compensate for a foul on a player in a position to possibly score.

Why on earth should someone who might have been 50 metres away score a goal?

Totally illogiical.

Don't get me started on penalties - I saw the last Melbourne one against Adelaide.

Its the same rule for all over the ground, any player can take any free kick, throw in, corner, penalty no matter where they are, it's very consistent.

Other sports such as AFL are all over the place, around the ground it's whoever has the ball takes the free kicks, when it's out of bounds on the full its pretty much whoever can get there the fastest and when another team kicks a point you can get any player from any position to take it. very inconsistent.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2539 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby redandblack » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:39 am

It might be consistent, but it's totally illogical.

As for Aussie Rules being all over the place, you're kidding? Is it all over the place for the free kick to go to the player who has been 'fouled', or the nearest player if it's OOB on the full?

Goals in soccer are rare and celebrated greatly. So player A scores 10 goals in a season and 6 are from penalties he had nothing to do with, so his stats make him look good for no reason at all.
redandblack

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:21 am

redandblack wrote:It might be consistent, but it's totally illogical.

As for Aussie Rules being all over the place, you're kidding? Is it all over the place for the free kick to go to the player who has been 'fouled', or the nearest player if it's OOB on the full?

Goals in soccer are rare and celebrated greatly. So player A scores 10 goals in a season and 6 are from penalties he had nothing to do with, so his stats make him look good for no reason at all.

all over the place it is, there is 3 different rules for the exact same decision a 'free kick'.

i think most soccer pundits realise players who score most of thier goals from the spot and are judged accordingly, no team plays a player just because they can take a good penalty, it's really a non issue at all.
whufc
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:21 pm

whufc wrote:
redandblack wrote:It might be consistent, but it's totally illogical.

all over the place it is, there is 3 different rules for the exact same decision a 'free kick'.

i think most soccer pundits realise players who score most of thier goals from the spot and are judged accordingly, no team plays a player just because they can take a good penalty, it's really a non issue at all.

Graham Alexander at Burnley ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Sir Red of Norwood » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:39 pm

In modern football(soccer) a players stats are recorded to take into account the amount of times they scored "from the spot" For example Melbourne Victory's kent of a captain Muscat, Kevin is a gun from the penalty spot, but no one would confuse him with Archie Thompson who is pretty good(Vics would say great!) natural striker)

The earlier point about if the attacking bloke with the ball is crap & couldn't hit a barn with a shotgun from 10yds so why not hack him down and take your chances with the keeper saving the pen?Its pretty simple: If a defender denies an attacking player who is "through on goal" by committing a foul in the 18yd box, then not only is a penalty to be awarded, but the punishment is then compounded by the issue of a Red card to the offending defender, meaning the odds are the defending team in this instance will go one goal and one man down for the remainder of the game. If the defender commits the foul denying the attacker through on goal but not in the defenders 18yd box, then the defender still could/should be sent off, the resulting free kick is taken from the place the foul occurred. It is only if that foul occurs in the box that it is a pen. One of the great things about football is that unlike Aussie rules, the basic rules stay the same from season to season. A player from the 1890's besides being slower and wearing heavier equipment, would still recognise the fundamentals of the game as being the same game he/she played. might even get a kick if they trained and gained some match fitness.Can't say the same thing about my 2nd love, Aussie Rules.(unfortunately) Last major rule changes I remember for football occurred in the 80's approx are no backpass rule and the crackdown on tackling from behind. All of which have contributed to a faster more skillful game IMHO.

My Opinion: I think this is one area that the SANFL NEEDS to market more obviously, the local game IS the game you grew up watching with your Dad, same teams, same grounds, mostly the same rules, same toughness at the ball (unlike the AFL which has constantly tinkered at the rules until the game now looks more like 18 on 18 basket ball played outdoors than ther game I grew up with:(
Last edited by Sir Red of Norwood on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon you Reds....Adelaide United = its just like watching Brasil!!!

I love both footy[NOT the V/AFL!] and soccer, is that even allowed??;)
Sir Red of Norwood

Postby whufc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Sir Red of Norwood wrote:In modern football(soccer) a players stats are recorded to take into account the amount of times they scored "from the spot" For example Melbourne Victory's kent of a captain Muscat, Kevin is a gun from the penalty spot, but no one would confuse him with Archie Thompson who is pretty good(Vics would say great!) natural striker)

The earlier point about if the attacking bloke with the ball is crap & couldn't hit a barn with a shotgun from 10yds so why not hack him down and take your chances with the keeper saving the pen?Its pretty simple: If a defender denies an attacking player who is "through on goal" by committing a foul in the 18yd box, then not only is a penalty to be awarded, but the punishment is then compounded by the issue of a Red card to the offending defender, meaning the odds are the defending team in this instance will go one goal and one man down for the remainder of the game. If the defender commits the foul denying the attacker through on goal but not in the defenders 18yd box, then the defender still could/should be sent off, the resulting free kick is taken from the place the foul occurred. It is only if that foul occurs in the box that it is a pen. One of the great things about footbasll is that unlike Aussie rules, the basic rules stay the same from season to season. A player from the 1890's besides being slower and wearing heavier equipment, would still recognise the fundamentals of the game as being the same game he/she played. might even get a kick if they trained and gained some match fitness.Can't say the same thing about my 2nd love, Aussie Rules.(unfortunately) Last major rule changes I remember for football occurred in the 80's approx are no backpass rule and the crackdown on tackling from behind. All of which have contributed to a faster more skillful game IMHO.

My Opinion: I think this is one area that the SANFL NEEDS to market more obviously, the local game IS the game you grew up watching with your Dad, same teams, same grounds, mostly the same rules, same toughness at the ball (unlike the AFL which has constantly tinkered at the rules until the game now looks more like 18 on 18 basket ball played outdoors than ther game I grew up with:(

great post 100% spot on imho.
whufc
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Top post Sir Red!! Agree with all of that!

Which proper football team(s) do you follow?

Spot on with the SANFL bit too. It's the way football is supposed to be played. I've got a Magpies season ticket this year rather than a Power ST purely because it's a far more entertaining brand of footy in the SANFL. I'll still go to the Power a bit, but the SANFL is just so much better to watch.

Anyhoo, back on track - I don't have a problem with any player being able to take a penalty. If a forward is hacked down when he's through on goal, the attacking side should have full advantage and be able to send up their strongest spot kicker.

Love the bit about muskent :lol: ;) That's hilarious!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby Sir Red of Norwood » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:22 am

Proper football teams I follow:
The mighty Reds of Adelaide United
The Blades of Sheffield - started following them in the 80's when an old mate Carl Veart got signed by them from AdelCity, hard habit to shake!
Willem II from Holland - dad's hometown team.
I turn out regularly to watch Para Hills in the local leagues - one of the things I love about real football is that even at park/local level you can see moments of brilliance and enjoy the game. I struggle to watch lower levels of Aussie rules with its fumble-a-thon feeling.
I just love watching 'proper' football and would much rather watch almost any game with a round ball than an AFL game. I Hold a Norwood ST, much rather watch them than the Crows. If I'm going to watch Aussie Rules, I'd much rather watch 'real' Aussie Rules than the pseudo-game the ALF has turned into.
Anyone playing Melbourne Victory and Anyone playing Man Utd
Off to the World Cup later this year, been dreaming about it since Italia 90, just be glad I got to see Australia play at the highest level, back in the 90's who'd have thought eh?

Sir Red of Norwood

Postby RoosterMarty » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:31 pm

There are moments of brilliance in lower league aussie rules too I'm sure and I've seen many crap games of association football. A lot of hoof ball involved - even at A-League level that happens a lot with defenders struggle to connect with a 5 yard pass so they simply boot the crap out of it.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby Sir Red of Norwood » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:11 pm

You are right to a point Marty, one of the great things about a league only 5 years old is that a lot of people have been watching from the very beginning(like me) I've noticed that the standard of the league has improved markedly over the short period it has been active. Honestly, it felt like a step down in season one from the best games of the NSL (I wonder if that was the rose coloured glasses from times past) but I dead-set believe that the team that won the premiership in S1(Adelaide) would struggle to even win a game in the most recent season. defenders are playing the ball out from the back, wingers are attempting to beat their man, race for the by-line and cross it in for fast running forwards. The coaching is improving, the fitness of the players and the skill levels of the layers are definitely improving. One area we really need to see improvement in though is the refereeing. IMHO it is the biggest stumbling block to consistently entertaining games. I believe we need a full time referees panel, with the best refs going over seas to guest-ref in the best leagues of Europe. In the same way our players improve by heading to Europe, I cant see why sending refs to train(reffing might be a FIFA/UEFA issue) with their Euro colleagues wouldn't benefit the league overall. Once the transfer of knowledge occurs then the local refs can understudy the more experienced blokes with the whistle.

Sir Red of Norwood

Postby Raking Left Foot » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:38 pm

Correct
Raking Left Foot
Mini-League

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:04 am

Sir Red of Norwood wrote: One area we really need to see improvement in though is the refereeing. IMHO it is the biggest stumbling block to consistently entertaining games. I believe we need a full time referees panel, with the best refs going over seas to guest-ref in the best leagues of Europe. In the same way our players improve by heading to Europe, I cant see why sending refs to train(reffing might be a FIFA/UEFA issue) with their Euro colleagues wouldn't benefit the league overall. Once the transfer of knowledge occurs then the local refs can understudy the more experienced blokes with the whistle.

I'd rather our refs stayed away from the likes of Howard Webb or the Norwegian Tom Henning Ovrebo!!! :lol: ;)

So you're going to South Africa! Lucky bastard! I'm planning on heading over to the World Cup in England in either 2018 or 2022, but at this stage, it's just a pipe dream.

We want photo's and match reports from SAin June and hopefully July!!!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer