your top 4

The World Game

your top 4

Postby westies sarge » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:32 am

at this stage mine would be chelsea,man united, man city and arsenal liverpool to finish 5th 0r 6th i reckon chelsea will win it
SHARE THE PASSION WAFC 2010 GO U BLOODS ON THE WAY UP
westies sarge
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Re: your top 4

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:25 am

westies sarge wrote:at this stage mine would be chelsea,man united, man city and arsenal liverpool to finish 5th 0r 6th i reckon chelsea will win it

Agree that Chelski will win.

On Man Citeh though, they've only played sides that are expected to be rubbish this year and realistically not set the world on fire in any of these games. They've beaten Blackburn, Wolves and Portsmouth, each of whom will be fully involved in the relegation scrap IMO.

At this stage, I'm going to stick my neck out and go for:

Chelski
Man U
Arse
Spurs

Liverpool are really up against it at the moment. Villa are not half the side they were last year and Everton have virtually imploded. it's early days, but I really can't see Liverpool keeping touch with a squad that drops away so rapidly after their top 5-6 players.

The next round will do a bit of sorting of the men from the boys too with Spurs v Man U and Arsenal v Man Citeh. Both games will show just how close the challengers are.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby Il Duce » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:00 am

Chelsea
Tottenham
Man utd
Man city
Liverpool
Arsenal

Just for something diffrent, I honestly think chelsea, man utd, liverpool, tottenham, arsenal, man city.

Chelsea are look the most stettled they have since Jose, Man utd aren't looking strong but I dont think they have ever started strong, Liverpool are looking a bit weak but they will win enough games to finish 3rd, tottenham finaly look like they have the team and a manager who know what he is doing and I see them breaking into the 4, arsenal may of started ok but I think they will fall away and finish miles off the pace, Man city may of started ok but at the moment I dont think they will beat any of the big 4 and maybe tottenham but they will beat everyone else and finish 6
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:43 pm

I like your prediction better Duce
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby JK » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:07 pm

Liverpool generally hit some good patches after going through a rough trot here or there.

Tottenham have a very impressive squad, but are still questionable in goal to a degree and against the bigger clubs when they are up and running.

Chelsea look the standouts as they are travelling well at the minute, have a steely eye on the prize that's eluded them in the last 2 years and have quality depth.

Man U will be their biggest challenger, no surprise there, and their best is still yet to come ... Any deficiencies that (may) appear in the first half of the year will no doubt be solidified in the Jan transfer window.

Man City, have a lethal squad with all hands on deck, but will they have the quality when injury kicks in as it inevitably does? They don't have the experience to fall back on as some of the other clubs do, so much will depend on just how well this group gels, particularly with a few ego's amongst them (Adebayor, Bellamy, Toure etc).

Arsenal, well you can't ever write Arsene's mob off .. He still directs them to play a potent, crisp, skillful style of football that when they are on, they can beat anyone on their day.

From here I reckon it's:

Chelsea
Man Utd
Arsenal
Liverpool
Tottenham
Man City

That said, it's still far far too early to tell, plenty of water to pass under the bridge yet.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Pidge » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Chelsea
Man U
Liverpool
Arsenal
Man City
Tottenham (Modric out will hurt)
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby MST » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:05 pm

I find it quite amusing that people are prepared to write Liverpool off after 4 games of a 38 game season. Funnily enough, Liverpool can, in all probability, afford to lose another two or three games if they can turn half of the silly home draws from last season into wins. They dropped 16 points at home last season and at the same time went unbeaten.

The top six or seven teams will take points off each other and for mine it will be the most closely contested title race in many a year.

The American owners reluctance to release funds to Rafa has possibly hindered the Reds chance of going one better than last year but they will be in the top four without a shadow of a doubt.

At this stage I think Chelsea are favourites and the remaining three CL spots will be filled by the usual suspects. City, Villa, Spurs & Everton will fight out the other Europa League spots.
MST
Under 18s

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:28 pm

IMO Man U to slug it out with Chavski for the title. Liverpool Arsenal and Man City for the two other places with Arsenal the most vulnerable, especially after yesterdays result.

City are in danger of doing a B4st4rds in 93/94. Will miss out this year but with more aquisitions to come in the January sales and then the close season, they will be the complete article for 2010 season.

All this twaddle about players only going there for the money, whilst tue, will deliver the title to Maine Road (oops, Eastlands), just like it did for the b4st4rds in 94 and Chavski when Roman rolled up. Liverpool and Man U had been doing it for years before the TV money wipde out the importance of the revenue through the turnstiles.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby westies sarge » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:05 pm

MST wrote:I find it quite amusing that people are prepared to write Liverpool off after 4 games of a 38 game season. Funnily enough, Liverpool can, in all probability, afford to lose another two or three games if they can turn half of the silly home draws from last season into wins. They dropped 16 points at home last season and at the same time went unbeaten.

The top six or seven teams will take points off each other and for mine it will be the most closely contested title race in many a year.

The American owners reluctance to release funds to Rafa has possibly hindered the Reds chance of going one better than last year but they will be in the top four without a shadow of a doubt.

At this stage I think Chelsea are favourites and the remaining three CL spots will be filled by the usual suspects. City, Villa, Spurs & Everton will fight out the other Europa League spots.

my opinion is based on our(liverpools) form for the first few games, imo we still lack a quality striker to sit up front with torres torres is a finisher he needs another striker to set it up for him, gerrard is doing ok sitting behind him but if we got rid of voronin and n'gog and bought a good striker we would be around the mark
SHARE THE PASSION WAFC 2010 GO U BLOODS ON THE WAY UP
westies sarge
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby JK » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:20 pm

westies sarge wrote:
MST wrote:I find it quite amusing that people are prepared to write Liverpool off after 4 games of a 38 game season. Funnily enough, Liverpool can, in all probability, afford to lose another two or three games if they can turn half of the silly home draws from last season into wins. They dropped 16 points at home last season and at the same time went unbeaten.

my opinion is based on our(liverpools) form for the first few games, imo we still lack a quality striker to sit up front with torres torres is a finisher he needs another striker to set it up for him, gerrard is doing ok sitting behind him but if we got rid of voronin and n'gog and bought a good striker we would be around the mark

I don't think any funds gained from selling Voronin and N'Gog would be enough to afford a good striker ... Whats happening with Nemeth these days, and is he League material?

Still think Liverpool's biggest problem is either midfield, or the adjustment to structure required after Xabi's departure ... Will need a few things to go right if we're to seriously challenge and you would suspect one of those things is being close enough when Aquilani starts, and hoping he has an immediate impact.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:21 am

following on from the other replies mst,

I guess the problem with Pool is thier lack of depth. Looking at the benches of Man U, Chelsea and Man City for that matter, they are all strong than Liverpools.
Despite our 4 - 0 hammering last week end, that was as much down to our inability or even lack of interest from 2 or 3, as it was to liverpools ability. Benayoun had a free day, yet isn't really a key player for liverpool. Torres was easily held and posed no threat. Only Gerrard stood out as head and shoulders above the rest.

Lose Gerrard and / or Torres with suspension or as more likely, particularly in Torres' case, then Liverpool definitely look light weight.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby MST » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:53 pm

There was that same, much talked about 'lack of depth' last season and Liverpool still managed to garner 86 points and lose just twice in the league.

To be fair, I agree to a certain extent that the depth of quality is seemingly not there compared to the other top clubs, but the only big difference to the squad from last season to this current campaign is there is no Xabi Alonso. Aquialani has been bought in as a replacement and obviously his impact will not be apparent until he is fit and playing. Torres and Gerrard are extremely important players, world class the both of them, but again if you take last season into consideration, they only started 11 or 12 games together in the league and still managed to finish runners up. Torres may have had a quiet game against Burnley JTC but you won't see that very often, I'd be very wary of him back at Turf Moor later in the season ;)

I also think Benayoun get's nowhere near the respect he deserves. He is not a 'squad player' and brings a great deal of class to the Liverpool front line/midfield.

Reds will be in the mix, no problem there.
MST
Under 18s

Postby JK » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:17 pm

I guess the the positive thing is that Kuyt and Yossi have found the net a lot more in recent times (ie, last season and so far this season) ... Previously we've had a Crouch or Keane up our sleeves in case Torres wasn't there to offer us something, but we don't really have much cover for him if he's out.

At the back we have a bit more depth.

As an aside, I didn't expect it to this extent, but it's been hard to argue with Johnson's price tag thus far.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:47 am

MST wrote:There was that same, much talked about 'lack of depth' last season and Liverpool still managed to garner 86 points and lose just twice in the league.

To be fair, I agree to a certain extent that the depth of quality is seemingly not there compared to the other top clubs, but the only big difference to the squad from last season to this current campaign is there is no Xabi Alonso. Aquialani has been bought in as a replacement and obviously his impact will not be apparent until he is fit and playing. Torres and Gerrard are extremely important players, world class the both of them, but again if you take last season into consideration, they only started 11 or 12 games together in the league and still managed to finish runners up. Torres may have had a quiet game against Burnley JTC but you won't see that very often, I'd be very wary of him back at Turf Moor later in the season ;)

I also think Benayoun get's nowhere near the respect he deserves. He is not a 'squad player' and brings a great deal of class to the Liverpool front line/midfield.

Reds will be in the mix, no problem there.

I'm not questioning the quality of Torres, personally I think if he can stay fit and Liverpool's midfield can feed him, he must be in the top 5 or 6 strikers in the EPL. But he was tagged out of the game against the Clarets. Benayoun was given the freedom of Anfield as th eClaets midfiled just went awol. I can't see that happening against the top sides.

I guess seasons end will tell the story.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby The Jack » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:25 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
I'm not questioning the quality of Torres, personally I think if he can stay fit and Liverpool's midfield can feed him, he must be in the top 5 or 6 strikers in the EPL.

Surely he rates higher than that Johnny! Having just watched the highlights show before work this morning, I can't see who's better period. EPL, world whatever! I'm sure he will prove as much in the next 12 months with Spain set to take all before them in South Africa. If he stays injury-free, ha, ha! The only negative about him at present.
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby RoosterMarty » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:35 pm

Yes certainly one of the best strikers in the world along with Drogba who is dominating this season.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby Il Duce » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:28 pm

In no order - Drogba, Anelka, Roney, Torrers, Defoe, Adebayour all top strikers in the League at the moment.

you may question Anelka and Defoe.

Defoe is scoring for club and country at will in a lead to the World Cup season and is currently red hot. Anelka is scoring at the moment but is more involed in the set up play but he was the premier league Top goal scorer last season.
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:12 am

The Jack wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
I'm not questioning the quality of Torres, personally I think if he can stay fit and Liverpool's midfield can feed him, he must be in the top 5 or 6 strikers in the EPL.

Surely he rates higher than that Johnny! Having just watched the highlights show before work this morning, I can't see who's better period. EPL, world whatever! I'm sure he will prove as much in the next 12 months with Spain set to take all before them in South Africa. If he stays injury-free, ha, ha! The only negative about him at present.

I never said where in the top 5 or 6 though Jack ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Bully » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:50 am

as much as i hate to say it i think chelski have it in the bag, will be a big dissapointment if they dont win it for them the way they are playing, cant see anyone beating them this year and i say that which also includes my mob, i can only hope for a draw.

Chelski
Arsenal
City
Man Yoo
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Bully » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:10 am

i stand corrected, chelski have been beaten
Bully