Scottish Football News Season 2009 / 2010

The World Game

Scottish Football News Season 2009 / 2010

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:45 pm

I thought this year it might be a good idea to include some Scottish football news. I know there are a few readers out there who follow Scottish sides, and not just Rangers or Celtic.

So post results and news in here.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Scottish Football News Season 2009 / 2010

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:21 pm

I thought I would kick the thread off with a story of idiocracy at it's finest.

the story is a bout SPL side Livingston, who got themselves into financial difficulty, and of course the policy of the powers that be, around these parets, is to "reward" clubs in trouble with a points deduction. So not only do they get relegated, losing crowd, advertising and TV revenue, but they get stuck with a minus points tally for the start of the coming season.

Now you might think that that is idiocracy in itself, but that isn't the story. Noooo.

So back to the tale. No only do Livingston suffer relegation from the SPl, but they are relegated two further divisions into division 3. To keep the equilibrium, Airdrie ae promoted to the 1st division as Livingstons replacements, not because Airdrie won promotion, because they didn't, but to make up the numbers after the departure of Livingston. And Cowdenbeath were promoted to the 2nd division to replace Airdrie.

Are you still with me? Good

Now plucky Livingston are made of sterner stuff and, not being ones to take this injustice lying down launch an appeal against the decision, but this appeal won't be heard until after the start of the league season this week end and thus, thier first game has been postponed pending the outcome of thier appeal. In the meantime, Aridrie and Cowdenbeath's respective games will go ahead.

Still with me?? Good

Now if Livingston are successful with thier appeal, they will be re-instated to the 1st division which means Airdrie will have to drop back to the 2nd division and Cowdenbeath will have to drop back to the 3rd division even though both sides will have played thier first games. The SFA's solution to this is to void the games both sides have played. OK this makes sense but has anyone considered the cost and effort gone into publishing fixtures, etc, and the cost to the fans for attending what could be pointless matches, not to mention all the other costs, steward, policing etc.

Are you still with me ??? Well I'm glad you are, because none of this makes sense to me and i'm writing the bloody story :roll: :roll:
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:36 pm

CELTIC SIGN STOCKPORT TEENAGER
Celtic have completed the signing of 18-year-old Stockport defender Josh Thompson.

The 6ft 4in centre-back was reportedly the target of a number of Barclays Premier League clubs but has opted to follow Tony Mowbray to Parkhead.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:42 pm

HIBS SWOOP FOR STACK
Hibernian have completed the signing of former Arsenal goalkeeper Graham Stack.

Stack had been training with Hibs after Plymouth decided to release the 27-year-old, but a hamstring strain prevented him making any appearances during pre-season.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:51 pm

ACCIES SIGN UP TWINS
Hamilton have completed the signing of twin brothers Marco and Flavio Paixao.

The Portuguese pair, 24, impressed while on trial with Accies during pre-season.

Marco, the elder twin by five minutes, score both goals in last Tuesday's 2-1 victory over UCD in Dublin and also featured against Darlington the previous week.

Fellow forward Flavio, meanwhile, had impressed in behind-closed-doors matches this week.

Both had previously been in Spain, Marco with CyD Leonesa and Flavio with Benidorm CD.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:01 am

Here is a bit more about the Livingston saga

EMERGENCY MEETING CALLED

By Ben Rumsby, Press Association Sport

The Scottish Football League plan to hold an emergency appeal hearing into Livingston's relegation to the Irn-Bru Third Division on Thursday in a bid to avoid further fixture chaos.

Livi have dramatically refused to play Saturday's match at East Stirlingshire after disputing the SFL's decision to strip them of their First Division status for a breach of the league's insolvency rules. The SFL are obliged to give their member clubs 21 days' notice of an appeal hearing but president Brown McMaster confirmed they had written to teams asking them to waive this right. "We're hoping to arrange an appeal hearing next Thursday," McMaster said."The management committee feel there's a degree of urgency. If all 30 clubs give us a waiver then we can have the appeal on Thursday."

McMaster is confident every club will comply. If not, the SFL may be forced to postpone two rounds of fixtures involving Livingston, Airdrie United and Cowdenbeath - the latter two clubs having been promoted as a result of Livi's relegation. Any appeal looks doomed to fail, with McMaster claiming all but three or four of the 30 clubs support the decision to relegate Livi. The debt-ridden side would need an outright majority to overturn their punishment, which was handed down on Wednesday.

However, Livi still have the right of a further appeal to the Scottish Football Association, which could drag the saga into the following week and put next weekend's fixtures back in doubt.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Bully » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:29 pm

its interesting seeing how the scottish sides go in europe again this season,they are always at the top of there league every year so is it that the scottish sides rangers/celtic are just usualy bad against european sides or are they just so much better then the rest of the sides in the scottish premier league / or the rest of the sides in the scottish premier are just so far behind? its a hard one to say ?
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:37 pm

no it isn't. It's quite simple.

Celtic and Rangers are the two main Glasgow sides. Outside Galsgow, and to a lesser extent Edinburgh, Dundee and aberdeen, there is no population in numbers to make any difference.

Rangers and Celtic get home gates of 55,000 +, the next best maybe hibs / Hearts of Edinburgh and Aberdeen with mayber 12,000 tops. As for the rest, 3,000 to 6,000.

It's a two horse race, and that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Truth is, Celtic and Rangers aren't that good. They get nowhere near the dosh that the EPL gets, and they don't have the competitive football that the other European sides offer. I guess it must be hard to lift your game week after week when you are playing underfunded easybeats every week.

That's one of the main reasons for Rangers and Celtic 's desire to play in the EPL or though imo, they would be be decent CCC sides for a year or two until the big bucks took effect, then they would be top half EPL sides.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Pidge » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:07 pm

johntheclaret wrote:I thought I would kick the thread off with a story of idiocracy at it's finest.

the story is a bout SPL side Livingston, who got themselves into financial difficulty, and of course the policy of the powers that be, around these parets, is to "reward" clubs in trouble with a points deduction. So not only do they get relegated, losing crowd, advertising and TV revenue, but they get stuck with a minus points tally for the start of the coming season.

Now you might think that that is idiocracy in itself, but that isn't the story. Noooo.

So back to the tale. No only do Livingston suffer relegation from the SPl, but they are relegated two further divisions into division 3. To keep the equilibrium, Airdrie ae promoted to the 1st division as Livingstons replacements, not because Airdrie won promotion, because they didn't, but to make up the numbers after the departure of Livingston. And Cowdenbeath were promoted to the 2nd division to replace Airdrie.

Are you still with me? Good

Now plucky Livingston are made of sterner stuff and, not being ones to take this injustice lying down launch an appeal against the decision, but this appeal won't be heard until after the start of the league season this week end and thus, thier first game has been postponed pending the outcome of thier appeal. In the meantime, Aridrie and Cowdenbeath's respective games will go ahead.

Still with me?? Good

Now if Livingston are successful with thier appeal, they will be re-instated to the 1st division which means Airdrie will have to drop back to the 2nd division and Cowdenbeath will have to drop back to the 3rd division even though both sides will have played thier first games. The SFA's solution to this is to void the games both sides have played. OK this makes sense but has anyone considered the cost and effort gone into publishing fixtures, etc, and the cost to the fans for attending what could be pointless matches, not to mention all the other costs, steward, policing etc.

Are you still with me ??? Well I'm glad you are, because none of this makes sense to me and i'm writing the bloody story :roll: :roll:

This is a joke. Why take a team down 3 divisions?
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:46 pm

As the the story unflods, I guess when the chairman of the club comes out and publicly says he doen't think Livingston can fulfill thier league programme this season, it will hurt the SFA less if they are in the 3rd division and not the 1st.

but the whole thing is a farce as Livingston, even if they lose thtier appeal on Thursday still have 14 days to go th the courts, and meanwhile all the games keep rolling along
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Il Duce » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:57 am

Just to drive the point home about celtic and rangers a bit more, I did a review of the old firm for my mate

This is the name of the rivalry between Celtic and Rangers both of Glasgow in Scotland. The two are Scotlands biggest two clubs in every way. They have won the most tropheys between them, they earn the most money (Reports estimate that Rangers and Celtic to be worth £120 million (1/5th) to the Scottish economy) , the have the biggest two staduims and biggest two amount of supporters all over Glasgow and Scotland and fairly big world wide fan base.

As for Livingston - the situation is stupid and isn't the first time the scotish fa has made some questionable and confusing decisons. Surely you just delay those 3 teams games to the situation is resolved and then they can play catch up games though out the season.
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:51 am

That would be too sensible ID
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:38 pm

ABERDEEN off to a great start at home hosting celtic overnight

3-0 down by 1/2 time, aluko pulled one back, but there are so many holes in that defence its not funny

RELEGATION beckons
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12316 times
Been liked: 3922 times

Postby Bully » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:08 pm

yep was a good start from the bhoys, although it was against aberdeen tho. All eyes on the champions league clash with the mighty GUNNERS on tues night.
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Arsenal will absolutely smash celtic next week, as bad as Aberdeen were Celtic didnt capitalise as they should have
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:33 pm

well celtic were completely and utterly outclassed this morning

scott mcdonald, really, he starts to need working a tad harder then he is and not complain if a pass doesnt fall at his feet
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:05 am

Live scores - Scottish Premier
Scores will update automatically

Home Team Score Away Team Time
Celtic 5-2 St Johnstone R
Falkirk 1-3 Hibernian R
Hamilton 0-3 Aberdeen R very handy result
Motherwell 3-1 Kilmarnock R
St Mirren 0-0 Dundee Utd R
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:16 am

Sat 19th September

SPL Results

Kilmarnock 0 Rangers 0
Dundee Utd 0 Motherwell 1
Hibernian 3 St Johnstone 0
Aberdeen 1 St Mirren 0
Hamilton 0 Falkirk 0

Another poor result for Rangers. Celtic should regain topspot after tomoorows game providing they can overcome Hearts. To be fair, Hearts form this year has been a bit ordinary.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:00 am

MT will be a happy bunny this morning after his Bhoys got up at the death to win against Hearts and go top

Late Loovens goal breaks Hearts

Bhoys leave it late to go two points clear at the top

Glenn Loovens' last-gasp goal earned Celtic a 2-1 win over Hearts to send them to the top of the SPL.
Suso Santana gave Hearts a shock lead after just five minutes following a mistake by Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc.
Celtic drew level on 56 minutes when Chris Killen headed home Shaun Maloney's cross.
The Bhoys grabbed the winner in the closing seconds when Loovens rose highest to power home Aiden McGeady's cross to send the home fans into raptures.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:55 am

screw the bhoys......

aberdeen got a 1-0 win at home as expected

just need to keep accumulating the points
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer