2018 World Cup

The World Game

2018 World Cup

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:11 pm

OK lads, just announced last week, the govt has announced it's going to chip in $45.6m to help the FFA's bid to bring the greatest show on earth to our shores:

AUSTRALIA'S bid for the 2018 World Cup has been boosted by a A$45.6 million (£20.2 million) grant Football Federation Australia (FFA) from the Government:
http://www.insidethegames.com/show-news.php?id=4357

From Wiki:
Nations that have announced their interest include Australia,[2] England,[3] Qatar,[1] and Russia.[4] The Benelux countries (Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg) have expressed interest in bidding together,[5] as have Portugal and Spain.[6] FIFA expects several other countries to announce their intent before the 2009 closing date, including China,[7] Canada,[8] Japan,[9] Mexico,[10] and the United States.[11]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_bids

So my thoughts:
Aus - I think we're a good show at winning this bid. The only things holding us back are lack of population and time zone IMO.
England - Would have to be one of the favourites to host it.
Qatar - The world is starting to revolve around the middle east. It wouldn't surprise me as the arabs will chuck $$$£££(Euro sign)'s the way of the organisers.
Russia - Also a very good shot at hosting. Just don't expect to be let into the ******* country if you manage to get a ticket :evil: :twisted:
Benelux - Another good shot at hosting.
Portugal and Spain - have great facilities.
China - distinct possibility if they formally bid.
Canada - too cold :lol:
Japan - how the heck do they expect to win a bid considering they've only just held the comp?
Mexico - aren't they still in debt from the '68 Olympics?
US - 1994 is far too recent to be expecting to hold the comp again so soon, plus they suck at football and they have Bruce Arena :twisted: :axe:

All I can say is [-o<
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Re: 2018 World Cup

Postby Dirko » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:55 pm

The thing most don't know is the 2022 World Cup will be chosen AT THE SAME TIME. So effectively we are in with a chance
for either 18 or 22....

Here's hoping !
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:07 pm

SJABC wrote:The thing most don't know is the 2022 World Cup will be chosen AT THE SAME TIME. So effectively we are in with a chance
for either 18 or 22....

Here's hoping !

Didn't know that mate.
We'd be a good show at securing one of those surely.
2022 is probably a better date to host it - allows me more time to build up a travel kitty to get around and see as many games as possible.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Bully » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:15 am

hopefully australia get it, maybe then mike rann will build a stadium up to FIFA standards! if he doesnt then adelaide will miss out.....AGAIN!

doubtful USA will be in with a show!
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:07 am

IMO only I would think Australia would be in for a shout. Agree DA, USA and Japan no starters as they have had a go too recently. Forget Russia, they don't have the infrastructure and FIFA already have problems with Poland and won't want to risk another eastern block venue at this time.
China must be in with a shout too especially after the success of this years Olympics. They also have the resources and man power to build enough quality stadia in the timescale.
Canada must be the joke entry. To be fair, they have enough big cities to host the comp but you are right, the weather might play a part, and the fact that they are not a footballing country in way, shape or form.

England must surely be a strong contender by now. the will always have to overcome the FIFA bias but they have addressed the hooligan element a long time ago, they have some fantastic football arenas and are a true footballing nation. 42 years is surely too long.

I suspect the FIFA will be waiting for one of the south American countries to throw their hat into the ring. It's been a while since the Worlds Cup has been played there and traditionally it was Sth America and Europe who took it in turns.

Thinking of China, it might be too soon after Japan for them.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Dirko » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:27 am

South Africa are next in 2010, then Brazil in 2014. So FIFA would then want the next in 2018 to be held in Europe or in the Northern hemisphere.
So that would be England or Qatar (close to Europe). Canada no way nor the USA or Japan. Russia too dicey as is Poland. Belgium & the Netherlands would be a smokey as the Euro tourney they held was fantastic, BUT probably too close to Germany, so hence the English bid would be preferable.

I think oz's chance would be 2022......
Dirko
Coach

Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 am

SJABC wrote:South Africa are next in 2010, then Brazil in 2014. So FIFA would then want the next in 2018 to be held in Europe or in the Northern hemisphere.
So that would be England or Qatar (close to Europe). Canada no way nor the USA or Japan. Russia too dicey as is Poland. Belgium & the Netherlands would be a smokey as the Euro tourney they held was fantastic, BUT probably too close to Germany, so hence the English bid would be preferable.

I think oz's chance would be 2022......

Cheers Jabber, I didn't realise Brazil was 2014.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:23 am

johntheclaret wrote:England must surely be a strong contender by now. the will always have to overcome the FIFA bias but they have addressed the hooligan element a long time ago, they have some fantastic football arenas and are a true footballing nation. 42 years is surely too long.

Agree totally. It's been far too long. That will give me a great excuse to move back to the motherland for another stint over here! White Hart Lane will be a state of the art showpiece - I might have to get in line for a season ticket and hopefully preferential treatment for WC tickets!

By 2018, England will have about 10 stadiums with a capacity in excess of 50k

Wembley
Old Trafford
Stadium of Shite - 49k - close enough
St James' Park
Eastlands - 48k - close enough
Anfield - 45k - close enough, but plans in place for new stadium.
Immigrants
White Hart Lane :lol:
Villa Park - Current capacity of 42k to be increased to 50k by filling on corners of stands - no time frame though.
Olympic Venue - which is really starting to take shape.

Goodison Park - 40k - plans for a rebuild?

In Aus, we've got:

Gabba - 45k?
SCG - 60k?
Telstra Stadium - 80k
Telstra Dome - 56k
MCG - 100k
AAMI - 56k
Subi - 44k

The problem we've got is all these grounds will have such a shit atmosphere for football and all our proper football stadiums are too small.

We'll make up for that 10 fold by putting on a cracking party!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Interceptor » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:14 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:In Aus, we've got:

Gabba - 45k?
SCG - 60k?
Telstra Stadium - 80k
Telstra Dome - 56k
MCG - 100k
AAMI - 56k
Subi - 44k

The problem we've got is all these grounds will have such a s***t atmosphere for football and all our proper football stadiums are too small.

One exception is Suncorp Stadium which would definitely be used instead of the Gabba.
It's a rectangular ground and holds 52k.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:54 pm

Interceptor wrote:

Gabba - 45k?
SCG - 60k?
Telstra Stadium - 80k
Telstra Dome - 56k
MCG - 100k
AAMI - 56k
Subi - 44k

The problem we've got is all these grounds will have such a s***t atmosphere for football and all our proper football stadiums are too small.

One exception is Suncorp Stadium which would definitely be used instead of the Gabba.

Nice one - I forgot about that one.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby hearts on fire » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:02 pm

I would love to see the soccer world cup come to Australia, this would really kick it off here and give Australia a bigger name on the International scale.......
~ R.I.P John McCarthy, 19-11-1989 - 9-9-2012 ~
hearts on fire
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Bully » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:19 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:England must surely be a strong contender by now. the will always have to overcome the FIFA bias but they have addressed the hooligan element a long time ago, they have some fantastic football arenas and are a true footballing nation. 42 years is surely too long.

Agree totally. It's been far too long. That will give me a great excuse to move back to the motherland for another stint over here! White Hart Lane will be a state of the art showpiece - I might have to get in line for a season ticket and hopefully preferential treatment for WC tickets!

By 2018, England will have about 10 stadiums with a capacity in excess of 50k

Wembley
Old Trafford
Stadium of Shite - 49k - close enough
St James' Park
Eastlands - 48k - close enough
Anfield - 45k - close enough, but plans in place for new stadium.
Immigrants
White Hart Lane :lol:
Villa Park - Current capacity of 42k to be increased to 50k by filling on corners of stands - no time frame though.
Olympic Venue - which is really starting to take shape.

Goodison Park - 40k - plans for a rebuild?

In Aus, we've got:

Gabba - 45k?
SCG - 60k?
Telstra Stadium - 80k
Telstra Dome - 56k
MCG - 100k
AAMI - 56k
Subi - 44k

We'll make up for that 10 fold by putting on a cracking party!

what about the emirates?? 60k
Bully
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:11 pm

It's listed in there load and clear - 'Immigrants'.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Bully » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:25 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:It's listed in there load and clear - 'Immigrants'.

immigrants? yes arsenal has alot of overseas players but so does every other team
Bully
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Bulldog wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:It's listed in there load and clear - 'Immigrants'.

immigrants? yes arsenal has alot of overseas players but so does every other team

Woolwich Wanderers. Ar5ena1 were originally based in Woolwich where the defences to London were based on the Thames, hence being called 'Arsenal'. In 1913, they moved to Shitebury (Highbury), before moving to their current location in Ashburton Grove (Emirates).

Hence the term Woolwich Wonderers. Hence the name 'immigrants' for their plastic stadium. It's only a matter of time before they up and leave again. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_F.C.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Brock Landers » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Interceptor wrote:

Gabba - 45k?
SCG - 60k?
Telstra Stadium - 80k
Telstra Dome - 56k
MCG - 100k
AAMI - 56k
Subi - 44k

What about Sydney Football Stadium (or whatever it's called now). That would be a rectangular ground that would hold around 40k

*Edit* I think it's called Aussie Stadium now.
Brock Landers
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:22 pm

Brock Landers wrote:
Interceptor wrote:

Gabba - 45k?
SCG - 60k?
Telstra Stadium - 80k
Telstra Dome - 56k
MCG - 100k
AAMI - 56k
Subi - 44k

What about Sydney Football Stadium (or whatever it's called now). That would be a rectangular ground that would hold around 40k

*Edit* I think it's called Aussie Stadium now.

Is that where the bling play?
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Dirko » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:28 pm

yep that'd be the one DA....
Dirko
Coach